The Council of Esus Guide

Yeah, at this point there are only two cases when esus as a state religion is worthwhile:
1) You are keelyn.
2) You gain control of letum frigus early.
In both of the above cases, Gibbon is awesome. Everything else about it is kinda meh, simply because you can get most of the benefits without it as a state religion.

Out of curiosity, how come it was once worthwile? I mean what did it have then that it does not have now?

Baselraphs seems made for CoE to me.

I'm in a game right now where I'm cranking out a horde of Freaks. Some are turned into Archers and some into Swords/Mimics, but whenever I get a unit with Blitz, I Arena him or send him out to kill his friends and neighbors until he has City Raider III. At that point, he gets upgraded to Shadow.

I now have 2 CR III/Blitz Shadows and they are absolutely chewing through my neighbors, getting an insane amount of experience. The Mage who is hanging out with them, casting regenerate and Haste for them is also helping them along quite a bit. If they get extra wounded, they declare nationality and hang out in one of the cities they have been attacking so that they can heal more quickly.

Other civs can do the same kind of thing, but only Baselraphs have such easy access to Blitz and only Baselraphs can get CR III on their Shadows (which makes combat so much easier).

Out of curiosity, how come it was once worthwile? I mean what did it have then that it does not have now?

Slaves used to cost 10 gold instead of 30, making the slave trade a very powerful feature. Right now, it's functionally identical to normal cashrushing for building normal infrastructure. In other words, totally useless for that purpose. It's twice as effective as normal cashrushing for wonders, but that's not that great a bonus (used to be six.)

High tier arcane units used to be a lot more powerful, and Gibbon used to not have illusionist, and some of the high powered heroes weren't as strong back in the day (Chalid, Yvain, I think Sphener), which meant that Gibbon was one of the top heroes and a good reason to adopt CoE, instead of a middle of the pack hero.

Top Bottom