CFC TG1: Calling All Settler, Chieftain, and Warlord Players

I think a warrior punishing anything coming out of the barb camp would be more beneficial for the time being than wiping it out. The quest from Rio to remove the barb camp would be tits, but i have no idea how rare of an occurrence that may be. What should be the next tech and goals since we will be idle for about 20 turns waiting on production.

I think a warrior punishing anything coming out of the barb camp would be more beneficial for the time being than wiping it out. The quest from Rio to remove the barb camp would be tits, but i have no idea how rare of an occurrence that may be. What should be the next tech and goals since we will be idle for about 20 turns waiting on production.

lurker's comment:

Pretty sure the CS actually has to take hard hits from a barb. So having the warrior camp the camp may not work.

lurker's comment:

After horses, I usually get all the luxury techs and construction no matter what my strategy.

I think the tech path is rather clear for the next few techs after HBR: pottery, calendar, then mining or writing (both needed really), then perhaps sailing so we can catch some fish in Rome ;)

For building, I would agree to switch both cities to horsemen as soon as available.

For further strategy? If we manage to take Siam without casualities, why not push on toward germany too? Better to take them out before they get big (and start spamming their UU, landsknechts...no fun to fight those with horsemen!).

Techwise I'd probably go for pottery>calender next. Those luxuries will come in handy when we start taking the happiness hit from having a puppeted/annexed city.

I agree on going Pottery -> Calendar. At this point we're going to need that happiness, especially when you consider we're about to start puppeting cities. Remember to switch both cities to horsemen as soon as the worker finishes improving the horse.

Another thing to consider (some of you already have) is what techs to aim for once we've completed Calendar? It's good not only to have a goal you're actively striving for, but also to be planning your future goals and how best to proceed towards them too.

Current Roster:
  • Methos - On Deck
  • Centerfinger
  • Aldor
  • Sindri Pink - Just Played
  • shanodin - Up!
  • eris

We seem to have a good plan going, so if you're ready shanodin, go ahead and play your turnset.

lurker's comment:

Happiness creeps up on you real fast, which is why I suggest construction. Then of course libraries, and then ironworking to deal with Germany's L-zombies

I'll be out of town this weekend and I won't have internet until Sunday afternoon. Hopefully shanodin can play his turnset during that time and you guys can continue to discuss our current and future plans.

While you're waiting, feel free to give the HOF Beta Gauntlet 3 a try, its a quick speed, emperor difficulty level game with the winner earning the earliest diplomatic victory.

I'm a she, not a he :) and I will certainly do my turnset today sometime.

After calander I'd go for construction for colosseums to ease the happiness hit we're going to take.

Happiness may not be as urgent as all that. With Calendar we can send the Worker from the Horses tile to the Wine. That's 5 happiness. The present culture expansion for Rome says the Incense tile in 10 turns. That's another 5 happiness. That could give us time to pump out another couple of horses and continue on to Germany before we have to build Colliseums. But they will be needed when we annex our puppets. And I will again argue that if we do not build the first Coliseum in Rome, we are wasting the UA of our Civ. And I continue pressing about getting that monument finished. Our puppets are likely to start by building a monument, and I would like to assist their efforts on that by 25%. Unfortunately, puppets don't seem to know enough to build Colisseums, which is why they need the wisdom of direct Roman leadership.

I would argue for sneaking in Mining as a tech train towards Iron. I like Iron. Sneak in Mining, which will have the worker ability waiting when we get some hills to work, and then do Construction. After that, either Writing or Bronze Working, probably Writing.

I don't claim this is a better path, but I think it has potentials. I am so far over my head it is silly. In my home games I just moved from Settler to Chieftain. I wouldn't listen to my advice on this level; I have no idea why anyone else would.

Happiness may not be as urgent as all that. With Calendar we can send the Worker from the Horses tile to the Wine. That's 5 happiness. The present culture expansion for Rome says the Incense tile in 10 turns. That's another 5 happiness. That could give us time to pump out another couple of horses and continue on to Germany before we have to build Colliseums. But they will be needed when we annex our puppets. And I will again argue that if we do not build the first Coliseum in Rome, we are wasting the UA of our Civ. And I continue pressing about getting that monument finished. Our puppets are likely to start by building a monument, and I would like to assist their efforts on that by 25%. Unfortunately, puppets don't seem to know enough to build Colisseums, which is why they need the wisdom of direct Roman leadership.

I would argue for sneaking in Mining as a tech train towards Iron. I like Iron. Sneak in Mining, which will have the worker ability waiting when we get some hills to work, and then do Construction. After that, either Writing or Bronze Working, probably Writing.

I don't claim this is a better path, but I think it has potentials. I am so far over my head it is silly. In my home games I just moved from Settler to Chieftain. I wouldn't listen to my advice on this level; I have no idea why anyone else would.

lurker's comment: the main reason you want construction earlier, is by the time you get construction, it still takes like 20 turns to make a colosseum. So if you research it ASAP after writing we're talking maybe 60 turns later.

lurker's comment:
Are you planning to annex or puppet Sukhothai?

Courthouses need mathematics, which might influence your tech priorities. When it's a 'good' city, I like to annex, since I like direct control of my good cities. Starting cities are preferentially placed in good locations, so I generally annex every capital I take.

It can be left puppetted for awhile, of course. The longer you leave it puppetted, the higher its production will be when you do annex it (allowing faster courthouse construction), but the higher the population, making the happiness hit while the courthouse is building particularly rough.

Okay guys, I'm having a really hard time trying to upload screenshots. I can't upload them in the default format that the game takes them, I can't upload them to photobucket, so I have no idea what to do :confused::sad:

EDIT: Ok, managed to sort out screenshot issues and the like :)

Here's my turnset anyway:

Turn 41
Fortified scout to heal
Changed production in Rome (14 turns) and Antium (20 turns) to horsemen
Fortified the scout to heal
worker finishes the horses, I begin to complete the trade route

Turn 42
Antium grows

Turn 43
Pottery finishes researching and we move onto calander

Turn 44
Nothing happens!

Turn 45
Scout has finished healing. I send hin to the East to look at the area around Rio.

Turn 46
Bismarck asks us to join him in a war vs. Siam. I decline, since we have our own plans for Siam, and our horsemen aren't ready yet anyway.
Rome wants silver. Won't they be pleased when we steal it from Siam?

Turn 47

Rome grows!

Turn 48
An unmet player has entered the classical era
Siam has founded a second city! It's north-west of Antium

Turn 49
Antium demands silk.

Turn 50
Siam tells us our army is weak and we'd better watch our backs. What he doesn't know ;)
Great library is built in a far away land
Most literate people pops up (we're still lagging behind in last place with 5)
We meet Bucharest, which Germany has pledged to protect.
New social policy! I get the next one down in honor for the great general, who I send in the direction of Anitum where he'll hopefully be useful in our upcoming conflict.

Attachments

• TG1 Augustus Caesar_0050 BC-2000.Civ5Save
    503.4 KB · Views: 77
I use Irfanview (free program) to convert the .tga images to .jpg. Works ok for me.

Its annoying that he built a second city, but I guess one more won't hurt (in fact, its some extra exp for our horses probably :)

Okay, I have the save. Here are questions.

What to research? Considering we are now at 0 happiness, I think the idea of working Masonry than Construction may be best.

How many horses? The last number I heard was three. With the general, (like that move!) that will probably be enough. I am planning on starting a fourth one to join the fray. That is one more horse in each city. After the second horse, I plan on finishing the Monument in Rome.

I will finish the trade route between Rome and Antium. I will then start working the Wine for happiness.

Open for any comments/suggestions/warnings.

Do our attack plans change? Do we go for Siam's capital, or the second city? I think we want the capital first, and am definitely advocating for taking the second cityl. Also, given that the borders of Sukhothai have changed, does that change our attack approach angle?

What prevents me from sending our first horse out of Rome down to the Barbarian encampment south of Antium to collect money and experience? We've waited for it to annoy Rio de Janeiro enough to trigger a quest and that hasn't happened.

I like the location of Siam's second city! It gives another luxury I didn't notice there before (sugar, might've been under fog of war). We should definitely keep it, we'll have 20 happiness from luxuries alone once these are connected. Speaking of connecting, we have almost 310g, enough to buy another worker if we decide to do so (for quicker improving our soon expanded territory).

Another thing, Antium should immediately work a forest instead of the grassland...we both finish the horse a few turns earlier, and the city won't grow so soon (pushing us into unhappiness).

IMO, two horses should be fine to take Siam out (remember, we have two warriors too, they should really earn their money with fighting instead of sitting in the cities ;)

So, I think it would be OK to finish the monument in Rome (5 turns only) after the horseman, and start the attack with 2 horses and 2 warriors (+ the general). Rome can build another horse after the monument, and Antium a monument after its horse, making use or Rome's UA.

For now, I'd leave the barb camps alone and concentrate on Siam. We have enough cash to buy a warrior if we really need him (and don't spend it for a worker...decisions ;) After Siam is down we can clear some camps to fill our coffers with cash. From all the camps we could get at least 100g!

Techwise, I'd like to put Mining in after Calendar. We can then expand Rome's border onto a hill for some more production (buy tile probably, because cultural expansion never seems to get hills). After Mining, tech towards Masonry and on for collosseums. (EDIT: forgot Mining is on the path to construction anyway! hehe)

Btw. what would you rather do, finish trade route first, or immediately switch working the wine once we have calendar? IMO the route is more important now (we currently spend maintenance without getting anything), and we don't want to grow much anyway before we connect the happiness resources.

lurker's comment:
Notice that Si Satchanalai is surrounded by hills, rivers, mountains, and other impediments, which greatly reduces the mobility of the horsemen. Therefore Siam's second city will actually be harder to take than his capital.

I still support the idea of attacking Sukhothai from the south-east, using hit-and-run tactics. It should fall quickly and easily. Then move on to the fight in the hills.

As for cash on hand: is it time to discuss what that should be used on? I've heard a few suggestions:
  1. worker
  2. horseman
  3. monument *very bad hammer-per-gold value
  4. keep saving for colliseum
  5. keep saving to buy city state

reactions

Good notice on the fourth luxury.

There seems to be some concern about having the cities without any garrison. Thus the warriors in the city have not been exploring. If having a city vulnerable to a sneak attack is an issue, I would rather attack with three hourses instead of 2 horses, 2 warriors, and 2 empty cities.

I would start the invasion with the capitol. Given the terrain pointed out, I think it justifies my suggestion of a fourth horse to join the party as they recover from taking out the capitol. Plus, it may be wise to leave one horse as garrison, or else get a cheap defender in the build queue. There is also still the thought of continuing the military push to Germany.

I intend to finish the trade route just to get some return on investment in maintenance. I could easily be persuaded to stop and get the wine. We have one worker turn on this tile to road it and one other tile to road. It's a trade off I don't know enough to fully evaluate.

If we are ready to spend some money, I would go for a worker to send to Sukhotha after its capture. I would puppetize Sukhotha and so it needs a worker sent to it to help it be a busy puppet.

I will check out the citizen placement in Antium. It is just the sort of thing I don't look for and should.

Top Bottom