Our World: Civilizations of the Modern Age Design Discussion

Or as an alternate UU - I think a few of DJSHenninger's Civs have alternate UUs in them.

I apologize if i'm misunderstanding this, but the line

UA: Every 200 Gold in the Treasury, and every Wonder provides Tourism (the amount given starts at 1 and increases by 1 each era)

Is that implying that every 200 gold WITH the Addition of a wonder provides tourism?

Or is it that 200 gold gives tourism as well as every wonder provides tourism?

Either way i'm exited for this Civ, sounds very interesting. I'm a huge fan of tourism but an even bigger fan of giant globs of money.

The UA will give you Tourism for having lots and lots of gold in your treasury. It also gives you Tourism from Wonders as well. I edited the OP to make this clearer.

Would there be possibilities to change the Japan design? I have no problems with the UB, but something about the UU and UA seems a bit off. For example, I don't think tying the Tourism boost from discovering techs to the Mangaka is a good idea. And, as I have addressed before, I don't think the UA fits Japan at all.

(I know Scotty made it, but I think there should be room for change)

To be honest. Only change I would take into consideration would a more simple version of what we have so far. Mainly because this stuff would take lots of lua, and since I have to rely on others for that I would like to avoid bothering people too much. But a complete overhaul is not something I would consider for now.

Plus I think you're taking the design a bit too literally - I don't actually mean that Japan is famous worldwide for its buildings. Its supposed to be representative of Japanese technology - the way we in the west are transfixed by how Japan is 'light years ahead of us'* and since the game lacks any way to represent how 'modern' your cities are, a focus on constantly having the most up to date and modern buildings is, I think, the best way to show this. Therefore I think it fits pretty well, though if you have a better reason why it doesn't work I'm all about constructive criticism.

*Source: The Japanese toilet scene from that episode of the Simpsons.

I actually really like the Japan idea. I find the UA very fitting of Japan's cultural role in the last 50 years. It does need a better name, though. I find that the Mnagaka fits as well. While giving it bonuses tied to technology is somewhat artificial, it is within the bounds of reasonable civ design.

That being said, COF is coding, and we are both satisfied with the design as is. If anything it needs a bit of simplification. Feel free to say what you want but we're both feeling good as is.

Oh for sure it does really need a new name, the UA. My one is awful.

I guess I stand alone in my opinion. I know when I am fighting for a lost cause, so I won't argue about it anymore.

You could use my UA name, "Land of the Rising Sun".

Well I still think you should make your point if you have one, there's nothing wrong with being a minority opinion. Its not that rare for everyone to be suddenly swayed by a well made argument. Regarding the UA name, its a lot better than nothing, but it applies to Japan from a historical perspective pretty well and I'd, personally, feel something which applies specifically to modern Japan and its technology/modernisation would fit the UA a bit better.

Regarding the UAE, I really think the UA could do with a way to make money, as well as to get tourism from it. Dubai, which the civ seems to be almost entirely based off of, increasingly makes the majority of its money out of foreign tourism and investment, rather than oil, which has traditionally been Abu Dhabi's game. (Since it takes up like 80% of the whole UAE, and thus most of its oil) I think either the UB needs to be buffed to generate a lot of gold, preferably out of tourism, or the second half of the UA should be a gold generation bonus. Tourism is definitely integral to the Emirati economy, perhaps more so than most realise. To put into context, last year 9 million people visited Dubai; the city itself has a population of around 2 million people, of which a mere 17% are actually Emirati. To put it another way, there were about twenty times more Tourists in Dubai last year than there were natives. Maybe something like this would work?

The United Arab Emirates
Leader: Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al-Nahyan

UA: Yallah Habibi!
For every 400 :c5gold: gold in the treasury, receive +5% :tourism: Tourism in the :c5capital: Capital and in cities with a World Wonder. Upon constructing a wonder, receive :c5gold: Gold for every other wonder in that city.

UB: Burj (Replaces Hotel)
The Burj is slightly more expensive to build than the Hotel it replaces, but provides 20% of its :tourism: tourism output as :c5gold: Gold. Furthermore, the Burj yields +2 :tourism: tourism and +1 :c5gold: gold on Wonders in this city.

UU: Qasimi Raider (Replaces Privateer)
The Qasimi Raider is slightly weaker than the Privateer it replaces, but receives a 50% :c5gold: Gold bonus when pillaging enemy :trade: trade routes. Upon pillaging an enemy :trade: trade route or killing an enemy unit the Qasimi raider receives double :c5moves: movement in coastal tiles for that turn and instantly gets all of its :c5moves: movement points back.

Also, I feel like you should pull a Brazil and make Dubai the Civ capital despite not being the IRL capital. All the designs presented have clearly been based off of Dubai, and it's by far the most important and most populated city in the federation. There's precedent for it Vanilla when the game capital is more important IRL than the real historical capital (Brazil, Arabia, Morrocco and Siam, to name a few) so it wouldn't be totally nuts.

Ain't Rio de Janeiro the capital of Brazil because it indeed was the capital during the reign of Pedro II?

Sort of, but that doesn't really work because Warsaw is the capital of Poland rather than the historical Krakow, Bluetooth gets Copenhagen, which wasn't even around during his rule AFAIK, instead of Aarhus and Isabella gets Madrid, not Toledo. Generally its just 'Whatever fits best' and I think Dubai fits better than Abu Dhabi for this particular representation.

Thats just because the game is so light on Modern-Era wonders. Most of the things which drag people to the UAE are easily 'World Wonders'. They're all fairly impressive feats of engineering and top charts for various records. We've the tallest building, the most luxurious hotel, the biggest shopping mall, the largest man-made snow park bla bla bla. All of the big things which people go to see in Dubai are comparable to the other wonders in the game so I think it works.

Thats just because the game is so light on Modern-Era wonders. Most of the things which drag people to the UAE are easily 'World Wonders'. They're all fairly impressive feats of engineering and top charts for various records. We've the tallest building, the most luxurious hotel, the biggest shopping mall, the largest man-made snow park bla bla bla. All of the big things which people go to see in Dubai are comparable to the other wonders in the game so I think it works.

yeah. The Japan of the middle east.
(The largest man made snow park?!)

Scott hit the nail on the head with the basis.

The design modifications are good...I want to keep it at 200 gold rather than 400 because that way the player can experience it easier...does that make sense? I understand 200 isn't filthy rich yet but I want to give the player a taste of what they can get with the UA. Percentage boosts seem like a good idea as well...

But... How does privateer go in there?

Top Bottom