Ranged units need a nerf

Pretty sure many of these sentiments are based on single-player, although I hear the range issue is still present in multi.

"l2p" doesn't make any sense as it is the human player who uses mass-ranged armies. I'd say cavalry does not eat ranged for dinner, but I suppose that is partially subjective. Either way, it completely misses the point. The AI includes cavalry in its armies and still loses to pure CB/Xbow.

Even in the hands of a human player, cavalry is rather underwhelming against ranged.

Kind of amusing, really. "l2p" is often used to essentially mean "get better at the game". And yet the number one advice for players to improve at Civ5 is to build more ranged and less melee.

Unfortunately, Civilization V does not work under the "rock, paper, scissors" method in some cases.

Ranged units are a huge counter to Melee/Mounted units.
Mounted units are a decent counter to Ranged units.
Melee units are a weak counter to Ranged units, but a decent counter against Mounted units.

Ranged units are too powerful, Mounted units are too weak, and Melee units are too mediocre.

This is how it should be:

Ranged > Melee
Mounted > Ranged
Melee > Mounted/Ranged

Ranged units are a decent counter to Melee units.
Mounted units are a strong counter to Ranged units.
Melee units are a good counter to Ranged and Mounted units.

Strategy is supposed to be dynamic, not one-sided.

Melee and units need to be quite simply buffed in strength at least in the earlier eras.
As it stands now city strength increases exponentially making direct melee assaults suicidal and counterproductive. Also a range unit on good terrain beats a melee unit in 1v1 combat. When adding in the ability of multiple range units to quickly focus fire melee units while taking no damage things sway even more in favor of the range units.

However once GW infantry hit the fields things seem to be pretty balanced out with a dynamic range of unit options.

Play Poland, train Winged Hussars. No more ranged unit problems. :cool: Seriously though, yea they are OP. Ranged units should have one tile range. Longbows can have two, but the rest should be one tile range. Why they are two range I have no idea.

No, people just need to l2p.
Cavalry eats rangeds for dinner.
So cavalry is OP too? No. Cavalry eats rangeds, rangeds eat melee.

Paper is not OP because it beats rock, since scissor can cut it easily.

Ever tried MP?

Go ahead, try to field an army of horsemen vs. an opponent building composite bowmen.

You'll lose... Big time

In MP, everything is about fielding as many ranged units as possible + a couple of melee's to take the cities. The reason? No other units composition is better

AI can't defend it's ranged units and pull the wounded back and heal, but a human can. And that's what make the ranged units so OP. They dish out a lot of dmg without having to risk themselves as much as melee's.

I like the idea of ranged units dealing less and less dmg the less opponents left. That's a nerf to the ranged focus fire, that is the big problem in MP.

And it wouldn't hurt the AI very much, because it can't focus fire very well anyway

Ranged is range 2 so it can shoot over defending melee.

They should probably just reduce all ranged damage by ~50% ( maybe give the ancient era archer unit a boost because you often can't protect/ focus fire with them.)

Top Bottom