WW2-Global

Despair888 said:
Okay, I got a question about removing the air/sea trade.

Japan for example, has coal on the island where Tokyo is.
Since it is not connected to the mainland and Shanghai, will railroads still be able to be built on the Mainland? (There is no coal on Asia for Japan until they conquer a lot more)

"Oh and to El Justo's idea of having to build a wonder to get the trade. I think that's a good idea, the time between turns was not a huge deal I thought. It was just the extremely long loading times that were a pain. So if it loads faster, the turn times are only super long for the first two to three turns anyways" Despair888

Yes I will a place a coal-resource in Japanese occupied China.

I will probaby include the trade wonder in version 2.1.

Rocoteh

Germany - v 1.9 - Sid - Week 18, 1942

Cities taken since week 10: Boston, Ottawa, New York, Washington, Chiapas, Acapulco, Accra, Caracas.
Venezuela eliminated by me. Belgium eliminated by the Japanese. I can confirm that my previous observations are correct: the Japanese are hellbent on destroying every British city on the planet (without wonders). In Africa they have destroyed Kumasi, Bauchi, Lagos, Mongalla, Kismayu, Tabora and Mbala. Sarmi on New Guinea has also been destroyed. But it was in the hands of the Japanese the last time I checked, so it could have been destroyed by the British.
Mexico has declared war on Chile, Finland has conquered Madurai, and Japan has taken Midway.
One of my transports crossed the territorial waters of Venezuela, and they asked me to remove it, and true to my habit I declared war on them. This time the official excuse was that Venezuela was storing weapons of mass destruction (I have to vary my excuses to start wars every now and then). I only had a couple of divisions in Panama city, and I wasn't prepared to see them swarming across the border. Fortunately I redirected a nearby transport, and sent it to Panama. The Venezuelans didn't dare to attack (just like the Americans in Labrador), so I picked them off one by one, and then my panzers crossed the border and took Caracas. I'm going to let my exhausted units rest for a while (I lost one panzer, the others are all red-lined) until I continue towards Georgetown. Georgetown is now the biggest threat to my domination of the Atlantic, and has to be eliminated. Several destroyer flotillas are operating from Georgetown, and they have sunk some of my transports (not to mention the u-boats).
There is no longer any buffer zone between me and the Allied in Mexico. The Americans took Mexico city, and the British took Culiacan. Rosaria is the only remaining Mexican city. The Mexicans still have some units left. I'm leaving them alone as they serve to distract the Americans. I need time to heal my units. The Americans destroyed 6 of my panzers in Acapulco, and my defenses are not very strong. Perhaps I should ignore Georgetown until reinforcements arrive. I don't have the strength to fight a two-front war in Central America right now.
In North America the situation looks better. But I lost over 30 panzers, 30 infantry and 10 artillery in the battle of Boston. My losses were insanely high for just one city. I conducted the attack without the support of Luftwaffe, and that might explain the casualties. But even when I had won the battle of Labrador, and Luftwaffe arrived, I continued to have high losses. When the situation was as worst I only had 6 or 7 divisions in each city (Montreal, Quebec, Augusta), and the Allied counter-attacks were more powerful than ever. However, it was in that moment my panzer reinforcements arrived. I thought to myself, "Okay, so I have 60 panzers here. What should I do with them? ... Attack!" :) There was finally a breakthrough, and in the same week as I conquered Boston I also took Ottawa, New York and Washington. Cleveland is currently under siege. If I only had one or two more panzers I could have taken that city too. I have lost nearly half of my panzers, but it was worth it. My defensive positions are much stronger now, and as soon as the panzers have rested (and more reinforcements been brought in) I'm going to continue the offensive. I don't expect the counter-attacks to be as fierce as they have been after this blitzkrieg.
What really frustrated me was that I could attack a U.S. marine with a fully healed elite panzer without causing any damage. This happened on more than one occasion. And in my frustration I attacked with the infantry, which wasn't a smart thing to do, since the infantry accomplished even less than the panzer, but those marines really made me angry. It appears as if the defense of Boston was extra strong. I took Washington without the support of the Luftwaffe with far less losses, so my guess is that their defenses are beginning to crumble. One more push like that, and I think I could claim victory in North America.
I also tried to take Miami. I actually did hold the city for a week with the six surviving infantry divisions, but the counter-attacks from the marines were so powerful that they took back the city before I could send my artillery and my panzers there. I sent them to Mexico instead, where I will have much more use of them.
And I unintentionally destroyed the Wonder of Ottawa when I bombed the city. I didn't know it was possible to destroy wonders.

DrNick said:
Hi Rocoteh,

It has been a long time since I posted here. I have been busy with the typical things; work, life etc. But the lure of Civ3 and specifically this scenario brought me back a few weeks ago. I downloaded v1.9 and started a game as the Soviet Union playing on Diety. It is now turn 5, 1941 and I did not take detailed notes, but here are some of my observations to this point.

The SU is pretty pitiful at the start, the best offensive unit being the T-26 light tank and the airforce is a joke, plus absolutely no artillery! So my first orders of business were raising a worker force to modernize the rails and connect my cities. This may lead to an unrealistic mobility for forces in Civ3, but from a gaming point of view that mobility is a force multiplier wayyyy to important to ignore. I also concentrated on building up SU industrial base, while trying to make nice with every other country.

I did nab Warsaw from under the nose of the Germans, just could not resist. This of coure led to war with the Anglo-French allies. Since I had the war going I sent an expedition down to take out some of Persia, but my progress was very slow using only the airforces, T-26s and the Mech units.

After peace was restored I set my sights on Turkey, but with the massive fortifications, I had to build up my artillery (1/2 reg, 1/2heavy) before the attack. If the idea was to forstall any early moves against Turkey, it worked!! However, Turkey did finally fall to me in early 1940. Late in 1940 after stealing a developing tech as fast as possible, I had built up a modest force of T34/76 and KV-1s plus arty and the existing airforce. With the wonders producing militia units by the horde I decided on a pre-emptive strike on Finland in very early 1941. I took out Finland in one crushing turn and then braced for the Germano-Italian counterattack. The AI did find some holes in my defenses but I lost no cities and was able to re-orient my armour and arty to blunt their attack.

Now I have dished out a little pounding to the germans, I am making peace so I can build a bigger airforce (the Pe-2 and and then the Sturmoviks are now here!!!). Meanwhile I am going to try and take out the Nordic countries which Germany has mysteriously left completely alone. The Axis is busily trying to conquer the Greeks, so hopefully they will be distracted until I am ready to launch a full-scale offensive into Germany, probably in mid-late 1941.

More soon and thanks again for the great scenario. I am seriously looking forward to the giant version 2.0 and 2.1 that I have been reading about. :goodjob:

DrNick,

Welcome back Doc!
Its great that you have returned.
The 1939 Soviet airforce was of low quality.
In a meeting with Stalin had with high officers from the airforce, a Marshal
said "our pilots have no real planes. They are flying coffins!"
Stalin was walking around in the room with his pipe.
He answered: (as always ice-cold) "when you said that you made a mistake."
After the meeting the Marshal was arrested by NKVD and 30 minutes
later he was executed....

On the lack of artillery: I will add artillery in version 2.0.
Its very good to hear that the Turkish fortress-units makes an
early attack hard. That was my intention.

On Finland: Maybe it should be Germany-control. No decision on that
yet though.

The Pe-2 and Sturmoviks should be of great worth.

I will soon release version 2.0 (I changed my earlier plans and 2.0
will now be the last version with the old map).
Then sometimes late this fall I hope to release 2.1 with the huge
map. This project have top-priority.
I have also decided that draft will be removed already in version 2.0.

Thank you and welcome back with more reports.

Rocoteh

IarnGreiper said:
Report from the front, April 1940
After we reallocated the Reichsmarine to the street of Gibraltar we are confident that the next school term in Algeria will start with German lessons. In the middle east we have witnessed epic tank battles on the Sinai peninsula. Finally the battle lines came to a rest west of the Suez channel. While the Brits hide behind their Matilda tanks we counter them with our outstanding German 88. Kampfgruppe III is doing well in capturing Hue. However, there is still resistance in southern India.
Thailand turned out to be both foolish and stubborn by not granting us the right of passage. When will will "liberate" them from the hands of the Brits they will deeply regret their decision.

IarnGreiper,

Thank you for the report.
This playtest with its early Barbarossa is very interesting to follow.
The advance in India is incredible!

Welcome back with more reports.

Rocoteh

IarnGreiper said:
Front report, May 1940
As expected with the concentration of our navy in the street of Gibraltar we managed to bridge our Kampfgruppe A to former French Algeria. The resistance of the locals crumbled as they got to know the benefits of the German Reich [all luxuries but tobacco].
Kampfgruppe B came to rest at Suez since this position seems to be an excellent defensive position. While our FLAK and 88s guarded our stronghold, our Panzers swept the arabian peninsula of British remains. As expected the local arabs displayed little alligance to their former British empire and soon adopted to the Reich. Kampfgruppe C is still stuck in the Indian jungles relying on the Luftwaffe to suppress those Matilda heavy tanks.
Meanwhile Kampfgruppe D secured Myitkyina with the support of the Japanese airforce. Rangoon payed a bitter price by not surrendering at the hands of our Luftwaffe. The city was bombed to ruins to allow our forces maximum speed through the enemy controlled territory. The use of those nasty Matilda tanks have forced us to these mercyless air assaults. Thailand fell to the british because of their foolish pride of not granting us the right of passage. However they are now a small puzzle to our schemes of Asia. As soon as our Kampfgruppe D is fully rested it will lead the assault on Singapore followed by Kampfgruppe C.
As we lack any Navy there will need the expertise of Gerd von Rundsted to build some transports in Singapore. We will have to recycle some armored units for the needed materials, too.

IarnGreiper,

The Matildas seems to be tough to deal with. It is realistic
since it was a good tank with heavy armour.

I think you soon will win the battle for Asia.
Britain can probably no longer launch a serious counterattack.

Welcome back.

Rocoteh

eaglefox said:
yes i really don't understand what its gonna take to make the civ developers realize that rail cannot carry every. thing right away. it too needs time. i don't know rocoteh whether you have ever played a game called imperialism - i think it came out in 1995. there are many things in that game the civ guys can use, including limiting the capacity of the railway system. i guess removing rail is probably a good idea, but then roads needs to be able to move troops quite a distance to balance things out. they should you should atleast be able to travel half of western europe in one turn (1 week).

eaglefox,

Yes I agree.
Imperialism 2 was one of my favourite strategy games.

On roads and move-rate:

I think what you say here sounds good.

On Civ 4: After reading info on Civ 4, my impression is that
its done with the first priority to bring young people into Civ.
I do not think Firaxis care if they lose some of the hard-core
Civ gamers.

Rocoteh

Hyperborean,

"Cities taken since week 10: Boston, Ottawa, New York, Washington, Chiapas, Acapulco, Accra, Caracas.
Venezuela eliminated by me." Hyperborean

US-AI must be under heavy pressure now.

"I can confirm that my previous observations are correct: the Japanese are hellbent on destroying every British city on the planet (without wonders). In Africa they have destroyed Kumasi, Bauchi, Lagos, Mongalla, Kismayu, Tabora and Mbala. Sarmi on New Guinea has also been destroyed. But it was in the hands of the Japanese the last time I checked, so it could have been destroyed by the British." Hyperborean

This is really a problem! I have added 4 wonders in Egypt so far in 2.0,
but I will add more before I release it.

This time the official excuse was that Venezuela was storing weapons of mass destruction (I have to vary my excuses to start wars every now and then). Hyperborean.

Yes, that is a good idea :)

"The Venezuelans didn't dare to attack (just like the Americans in Labrador), so I picked them off one by one, and then my panzers crossed the border and took Caracas. I'm going to let my exhausted units rest for a while (I lost one panzer, the others are all red-lined) until I continue towards Georgetown." Hyperborean

Venezuela and Colombia will be one Civ version 2.1. (However not
in version 2.0) The now "free Civ" will be used to create an independent
Afghanistan.

"Perhaps I should ignore Georgetown until reinforcements arrive. I don't have the strength to fight a two-front war in Central America right now."
Hyperborean

I agree.

"In North America the situation looks better. But I lost over 30 panzers, 30 infantry and 10 artillery in the battle of Boston. My losses were insanely high for just one city. I conducted the attack without the support of Luftwaffe, and that might explain the casualties." Hyperborean

Yes it is really heavy losses.

"However, it was in that moment my panzer reinforcements arrived. I thought to myself, "Okay, so I have 60 panzers here. What should I do with them? ... Attack!" There was finally a breakthrough, and in the same week as I conquered Boston I also took Ottawa, New York and Washington. Cleveland is currently under siege. If I only had one or two more panzers I could have taken that city too. I have lost nearly half of my panzers, but it was worth it. My defensive positions are much stronger now, and as soon as the panzers have rested (and more reinforcements been brought in) I'm going to continue the offensive. I don't expect the counter-attacks to be as fierce as they have been after this blitzkrieg." Hyperborean

Probably US-AI must choose to go on the defensive now.
Its offensive forces must have been exhausted.

"I took Washington without the support of the Luftwaffe with far less losses, so my guess is that their defenses are beginning to crumble. One more push like that, and I think I could claim victory in North America."
Hyperborean

Yes I think you are right.

"And I unintentionally destroyed the Wonder of Ottawa when I bombed the city. I didn't know it was possible to destroy wonders." Hyperborean

That is a negative surprise.
I hope you will continue this interesting playtest even after the
release of version 2.0.

Thank you and welcome back.

Rocoteh

Hi Rocoteh,

first I want to say thank you for your incredible work with this and your other scenarios. Unfortunately just now I have not the time to play the full scenario, as I put all my free civ-time in game-mechanics of Civ 3 and so on.

Today I opened a thread in the Civ 3 creation forum about "multiple wonder" wonders with the intention to give the cities some protection against razing by AI civs. The idea is to give each civ a wonder which gives a wonder to every city of that civ. This would also prevent such a thing like bombing a wonder (I have never heard about that bevore), if it´s not the "multiple wonder" wonder that is bombed. If this idea really works, needs a lot more of playtesting.

So please can you tell me, what cities were razed most times and what cities were razed most early (so I don´t have to wait to long for an AI razing that city) in former versions of this scenario. I than will test the protection of "multiple wonder" wonders to these cities and give you a report if it makes sense to do such a "multiple wonder" wonder.

Yours Civinator / Blue Lion

Civinator said:
Hi Rocoteh,

first I want to say thank you for your incredible work with this and your other scenarios. Unfortunately just now I have not the time to play the full scenario, as I put all my free civ-time in game-mechanics of Civ 3 and so on.

Today I opened a thread in the Civ 3 creation forum about "multiple wonder" wonders with the intention to give the cities some protection against razing by AI civs. The idea is to give each civ a wonder which gives a wonder to every city of that civ. This would also prevent such a thing like bombing a wonder (I have never heard about that bevore), if it´s not the "multiple wonder" wonder that is bombed. If this idea really works, needs a lot more of playtesting.

So please can you tell me, what cities were razed most times and what cities were razed most early (so I don´t have to wait to long for an AI razing that city) in former versions of this scenario. I than will test the protection of "multiple wonder" wonders to these cities and give you a report if it makes sense to do such a "multiple wonder" wonder.

Yours Civinator / Blue Lion

Civinator,

Thank you for the positive words.

The "multiple wonder" sounds like a very interesting idea.

Cities in Russia and cities in China +East Asia is razed often and early
in the scenario.
However 95% of my Civ-time goes to scenario-creation and I seldom
have time to playtest the scenario myself.
Thus the above said is based on the playtest-reports I have read.
Maybe those who have playtested WW2-Global can add something on this subject.

Best Regards

Rocoteh

Since the Hauptquatier got some personal letters on our strategy here are the basic strategies for our German campain:

Only order units you really need now. If you don t need them let your industrial base and economy grow.

Build Kampfgruppen [battlegroups] Think of all units going for the same objective or group of objectives as a whole. As a rule of thumb they should be so close that you can air support them all.

Assign units to those battlegroups as needed. If you expect a slow crawl rely on German 88 and artillery. If you expect a fluid battle use tanks. Exchange units if circumstances change.

Quality before quantity. A well placed German 88 can stop a sizeable enemy force, especially if backed with artillery flak and air support.

Use weak but fast units [those 14 attack tanks] to finish off units wounded by airstrikes.

Try to hit enemy planes on the ground and avoid loosing planes in such a way. If cities are close together you can place your fighters in the second row, which give them time to get ready for air superiority.

Best use your Luftwaffe to nail units on the move. You won t get intercepted and you can choose to pick the most valuable enemy units.

Plan ahead. Think of how the battle map will be in a few weeks. Especially think of altering zones of control.

Attack weaker cities with a large zone of control first. In many theaters you can force the enemy to move units through your zone of control even when you are on the advance.

Bypass well defended cities. Getting them at once costs too much.

Make the enemy move. Either by surprising them or by bypassing their strongholds.

Lure them into counterattacks. If they see an ill defended city they are likely to go after the city. Now you can either hit them on the move or have reinforcements arrive before them because you can move much faster in own territory.

To perfect that concept use the terrain and infrastructure against the enemy. Lure them on attacking one city in the mountains. Move in defenders and block the other side of the roads with defensive units like German 88. If you can t beat the British tanks in the plains of India lure them in the Himalaya and seal all exits. The jungle between Nagpur and Calcutta is an excellent place for ambushes, too.

If happen to dictate great speed on your advance, you can neglect to reinforce your cities with infantry. Just keep the Panzer spearheads rolling. If the enemy counterattacks, you can still turn around and smach the in the open. Even Matildas are beatable in the open.

Use your allies as cannon fodder. They are great in that role.

Plan unconditional surrenders of enemy nations by taking their last city in advance. As an example move near Belgrad, don t attack but declare war on them. Fool them by letting a nearby city undefended. While they move in direction of your "weak" city hit their only city which will be ill defended quick and decisive. After you take their last city they will surrender. Even if you can accomplish that easy task in time, you can still order defensive units into the decoy city in time.

I would prefer Finland does not go to Germany controlled. I like playing as Finland. :)

Plus, well, just please don't.

Rocoteh said:
IarnGreiper,

The Matildas seems to be tough to deal with. It is realistic
since it was a good tank with heavy armour.

I think you soon will win the battle for Asia.
Britain can probably no longer launch a serious counterattack.

Welcome back.

Rocoteh

I fear the Americans more than the British in regards of counterattacks. Because of my swift advances in south Asia, the Japanese tried to get their part of the prey and neglected the Philipines. US has a considerable force there. I fear them to launch an amphibios assault on Saigon or hue or even Bangkok soon.
I hope my small overview of my strategies explain how I achieved my swift ground gain in some theatres of war.

Despair888 said:
I would prefer Finland does not go to Germany controlled. I like playing as Finland. :)

Plus, well, just please don't.

Despair888,

Finland will stay independent.
If it should go Germany control it will hurt balance also.

Rocoteh

IarnGreiper said:
I fear the Americans more than the British in regards of counterattacks. Because of my swift advances in south Asia, the Japanese tried to get their part of the prey and neglected the Philipines. US has a considerable force there. I fear them to launch an amphibios assault on Saigon or hue or even Bangkok soon.
I hope my small overview of my strategies explain how I achieved my swift ground gain in some theatres of war.

IarnGreiper,

Thank you very much for the comment on strategy and tactics.
I think it will be of high value for all who plays this scenario.

I am looking forward to follow where you choose to go from these positions.
Thank you and welcome back.

Rocoteh

Rocoteh said:
Despair888,

Finland will stay independent.
If it should go Germany control it will hurt balance also.

Rocoteh
Rocoteh, you are right a German controlled Finland would give too much advantage in Operation Weseruebung (conquest of Scandinavia)

edit> plazing civ changes my keyboard lazout from German to US changing the z and y keys

krazydude said:
Rocoteh: Why are you going the remove the draft ability in new version? I think it is much more realistic to have lots of infantry and less tanks than just having infantry to fight early wars.

Congrats again on this project :)

krazydude,

Thank you.

The idea is to make play against AI harder.
Many people think its to easy now.
Should it not work I will reintroduce draft in version 2.1.

Rocoteh

IarnGreiper said:
Rocoteh, you are right a German controlled Finland would give too much advantage in Operation Weseruebung (conquest of Scandinavia)

edit> plazing civ changes my keyboard lazout from German to US changing the z and y keys

IarnGreiper,

Yes and it will also make Germany to powerful against Soviet.

On the keyboard: That is strange!

Rocoteh

New from the frontlines, early June 1940>

The British have fortified themself in Mandura. We need to wait for heavy artillery reinforcements here. Meanwhile we are pressing through southern Thailand for Singapore with Kampfgruppe D, which reinforced with a part of Kampfgruppe C.
Kampfgruppe B made the final breakthrough in Egypt with heavy air and artillery support. The Wochenschau is featuring some nice pictures of our soldiers resting at the base of the pyramids. Since we expect a more fluid battle in this theatre from now we start to regroup:
Kampfgruppe A is stripped from artillery and reinforced with the armored reserves we produced during the last weeks. Its new objective is French west Africa.
Kampfgruppe B is reinforced with tanks as well and leaves most of their heavy artillery behind.
Kampfgruppe C is receiving artillery but is giving up all bombers, since we don t want to waste any planes on Madurais air defense. some tanks are moved to the nearby Kampfgruppe D.
Kampfgruppe D is receiving artillery, Panzers and FLAKs from France since we have shot down a lot of Allied Bombers during the last months there, relieving our fighters.

IarnGreiper said:
New from the frontlines, early June 1940>

The British have fortified themself in Mandura. We need to wait for heavy artillery reinforcements here. Meanwhile we are pressing through southern Thailand for Singapore with Kampfgruppe D, which reinforced with a part of Kampfgruppe C.
Kampfgruppe B made the final breakthrough in Egypt with heavy air and artillery support. The Wochenschau is featuring some nice pictures of our soldiers resting at the base of the pyramids. Since we expect a more fluid battle in this theatre from now we start to regroup:
Kampfgruppe A is stripped from artillery and reinforced with the armored reserves we produced during the last weeks. Its new objective is French west Africa.
Kampfgruppe B is reinforced with tanks as well and leaves most of their heavy artillery behind.
Kampfgruppe C is receiving artillery but is giving up all bombers, since we don t want to waste any planes on Madurais air defense. some tanks are moved to the nearby Kampfgruppe D.
Kampfgruppe D is receiving artillery, Panzers and FLAKs from France since we have shot down a lot of Allied Bombers during the last months there, relieving our fighters.

IarnGreiper,

I guess you soon will crush the last British forces in Asia.
You also seems to have heavy pressure on Africa.

I will release version 2.0 within 15 minutes but reports on 1.9
playtests are of course still very interesting.

Rocoteh

Top Bottom