Easter Egg Collecting! (spoilers be here)

Corlindale said:
...yet you haven't spotted the origin of the music for the Lanun...

I tend to play with sound off so I can listen to music, i'll have to turn it on to see what I'm missing though.

The priest of the leaves comes from magic the gatherine's card Ley Druid. Certain I have seen more uses of magic cards in the game. Losha Valthes voice I have heard before I think from Neverwinter nights but not certain.

"A virtual Easter egg is a hidden message or feature in an object such as a movie, book, CD, DVD, computer program, or video game. The term draws a parallel with the custom of the Easter egg hunt observed in many western nations."

Most of what has been mentioned in this thread arnt easter eggs. Just because you copy something from another source or use graphics from something else doesnt make it an easter egg.

Pretty much the only easter egg so far I think, would probably be the Muppets as engineers, but maybe not even that.

A good easter egg example is the Amanda text in one of the forests of Civ3:
Spoiler Look very carefully, its written in lightgreen :

I've been getting a kick out of catching the references, and a couple I've seen aren't here (I'm surprised!). I'm deliberately not making a systematic effort to figure 'em all out, it's more fun to note them as I come across them.

-There are rampant Monty Python references throughout. A couple that I didn't see mentioned here are the Trojan Bunny as the the icon for "Trojan Horse" and a Cow as the icon for one of the catapult units (Balseraphs, I think.). Anyone who's seen the demise of that same Trojan Bunny will understand...

(I wonder what a Monty Python themed Civ mod would look like? One small example, the combat withdrawal promotion would have to be renamed the "Run away!" ability.)

-The description for Ring of Fire is the refrain from the Johnny Cash song of the same name.

-The Priest of Leaves icon is from the Green (naturally) deck of Magic: The Gathering. (Note: Sorry Nero, didn't read your post. You noted it first. :D )

Of course all the designers know these things, but half the fun for me is finding them, and surely half the fun for the designers is seeing people spot them. ;)

I would think that the FF7 city names would be an easter egg because it fits cassiel's purpose, I never finished FF7 but from what I've known so far in it was that it seemed "godless".

erm...

But I guess I agree with my parents killer(grey fox),these are not really easter eggs.

Yeah, I felt the same, I just wanted to see what was used to inspire the writers.

Picture for twincast is the fork card from Magic: The Gathering (red card that duplicated a fast effect).

Surely Sir not appearing in this film is an easter egg. He is only in the civolepedia and not really part of the game. But yes techincally these aren't easter eggs. Spoil sport.

Kill Joy - noun. One who persists on ruining the fun of others because some bit of minutiae is incorrect or out of place.
get back to IntCol Grey Fox and quit pestering my threads with your "correct definitions" jeeze...

Just kidding

(seriosuly though... IntoCol; I need it to live)

Okay, whatever. Easter Eggs, references, tips of the hat, winks, nudges, say-no-more-squire, this thread's about the fun little jokes and pokes of the mod. Call 'em what you like. English professors, the door is that way. :p -->

blueparrot1966 said:
(I wonder what a Monty Python themed Civ mod would look like? One small example, the combat withdrawal promotion would have to be renamed the "Run away!" ability.)
It'd be a lot like the Balseraphs, except the parrots would be dead and it would be a lot harder to find (the) fish.:crazyeye:

Find the fish would have to be a tech, of course. One that didn't do anything... And the dead parrots would have a move of 0. Wouldn't go anywhere even if you put four million volts through 'em.

Promotions could be things like "run away!" and the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch ability. The "silly walk" promo could provide another point of movement.

The Black Knight unit couldn't be killed, it'd just lose a point of strength the first three times it was attacked, then all movement the fourth time.

Wonders of the world could be Grail Shaped Beacons. Buildings could be things like The Cheese shop.

Eh, I'd better knock it off. Could be at this all day, lol.

Also, you'd have to start researching "How not to be seen" at the start or you'd be blown up.

Kael said:
I dont think it is. A lot of the music sounds very similiar to Might & Magic or HOMM music but I havent been able to find any that are the same.

BTW, how can you have an Easter Egg list without including the fact that the Pack of the Nilhorn giants are named after Stooges.

Went hrough them all and leaf5.mp3 is definately the same theme, as in the vampire area in one of the might and magic games. However, I don't know if the M&M guys took i from somewhere else or made it themselves.... ;)

Wait a minute- the "silly walk" wouldn't do a thing for movement. It'd give your civ extra income. You can get a grant for that, you know...

Right right. This thread has become much too silly. It was all fine when people were finding little jokes and comments in the game but all this talk about reaserching fish and silly walks has gone too far. Now I enjoy a good laugh just like the next man, well not as much as...

We apologize for the earlier interruption in the subject matter of the thread. Those responsible for the preceding posts have been sacked.

Top Bottom