Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

Hello all,
I've recently started to use GMR, and with my first (public) game, something has gone wrong. When I try to load the savefile, the globe keeps turning, and nothing happens. When I alt+tab he crashes. I've tried loading several times, and I have even deleten the savefile and downloaded it agian, but it made no difference.
The odd this is, though, that the savefile displays 0 turns, while I'm sure I'm th 4th who plays. Also, it displays a picture of Rome, which is the civ the host plays with, not mine. (which is France)
Spoiler :

Regardless, keep up the good work and thanks for the help and the easy way to play MP!:goodjob:

Hey Louis, thanks for bringing this to our attention! The load menu showing Rome instead of France is normal, in a hotseat game it will usually show the civ of the previous player. If it still shows Rome in the "Loading..." screen after you click "Load Game" then that usually indicates the previous player didn't save the game properly. Also, if everyone in the game hasn't taken a turn yet then it is correctly showing "0 Turns", since that number is in "game turns" not GMR turns. Game turns only increment after every player has taken their turn.

Now for the real problem of the save not loading for you, I'm not sure why that would be the case. Please email me the save file in question to support@multiplayerrobot.com and I'll take a look at it :)

Hey all, I've finished implementing comments on the GMR website. You can now comment on games in a very light-weight forum style! Try it out and let me know what you think :)

Hi, Mel, really nice application you guys have developed. Definitely recommend others to try GMR

A question regarding to the new comment feature: the option to stop receiving email notification of new comments posted by other players seems to be not working? Thank you!

Hi, Mel, really nice application you guys have developed. Definitely recommend others to try GMR

A question regarding to the new comment feature: the option to stop receiving email notification of new comments posted by other players seems to be not working? Thank you!

Thanks EEE_BOY! I've looked into the issue you described and I haven't been able to reproduce it. I walked through the code on my dev machine and verified that you have emailing comments turned off for your user and when I comment on our 'Speed' game an email is not generated for you.

I did a fresh publish to our live site just in case there was some code demons out there tweaking stuff. ;)

I've commented again on our 'Speed' game, let me know if it sends you an email about it. Thanks!

It just occurred to me EEE_Boy that you might be expecting the checkbox for new comment email notifications to also control whether you receive new comment notifications on the GMR website. Is this the case? We actually didn't design those check boxes to control the GMR notifications, but that's something we could consider doing.

Thank you for that. Yeah I thought the option works for comments notification.

What programming language did you use for this?When it starts up, it looks kinda like visual basic.Just curious:D

I have some experience in Visual Basic.

Anyway, looks like a neat program.I've just downloaded.Thanks for making!

You're very welcome! The desktop app is written in C# .Net 4.0 using WPF for all user interface and ClickOnce for deployment and update checking.

@m4stermel

Ok.Thanks for the info.I was just curious because I've seen Visual Basic things before and it looked like one.I've heard of the C# language but never done anything with it.

Anyway, nice program and thanks again for making.

M4stermel, did you make some changes to the program? We seem to not be getting notifications anymore. We still get them for comments, just not for the game turns.

M4stermel, did you make some changes to the program? We seem to not be getting notifications anymore. We still get them for comments, just not for the game turns.

Its working for me. Maybe your email provider's problem.

Well, I seem to be getting notifications from one game, but not another. I'll double check over the next few days and post again if its, um, human error.

Hey everyone just a heads up that GMR will be offline for about 1 hour tonight starting at 12:00am MDT (11pm PDT, 2am EDT, 6am GMT). We're switching hosting providers as our current one has become unresponsive. We expect no data loss during the process, however the website and the desktop app will be unavailable during this time.

We hope that this doesn't seriously interfere with anyone's Civ needs. Thank you all for your continued support and patience as we make GMR into an excellent service for CiV players everywhere! :)

I've had some notifications since posting ,but today none, for either game, though it's my turn in both.

Hello all,
I've recently started to use GMR, and with my first (public) game, something has gone wrong. When I try to load the savefile, the globe keeps turning, and nothing happens. When I alt+tab he crashes. I've tried loading several times, and I have even deleten the savefile and downloaded it agian, but it made no difference.

For curiosity,are you playing in Windows 7 or XP or another SO? On my first time on GMR,my game also crashed like that . I was playing Civ5 at Windows 7 and decided to switch to Windows XP,which solved the problem .

Hmm, I can't contact the GMR server with the GMR application :-(, atm.

Now i can connect...but I can't upload a saved turn. It gives an error.....
GMR also doensn't show me as online on steam, which i am.

Restarted the computer and everything worked well after that.

I've had some notifications since posting ,but today none, for either game, though it's my turn in both.

Thanks Onan! We were having intermittent problems with the email servers on our recently deceased web host. As of today we are up and running with a brand new provider and as far as I can tell emails seem to be working. Let me know if you notice any other problems!

Hmm, I can't contact the GMR server with the GMR application :-(, atm.

Now i can connect...but I can't upload a saved turn. It gives an error.....
GMR also doensn't show me as online on steam, which i am.

Restarted the computer and everything worked well after that.

We were in the process of migrating our site last night which may have caused the outages you experienced. Everything is alive and well now so let me know if you have any other issues. :)

Hi, is the GMR server taken down for maintainance again just a few hours ago? I can receive other players just finishing turns, but GMR client can't connect to server after log in, GMR website still shows maintainance. Thank you

Top Bottom