Eunomiac's Strategy Layer

Both the laid-out borders and the highlight border when placing a new city have separate transparency (called brightness thinking more people would understand that better) controls on the General options tab.

Both the laid-out borders and the highlight border when placing a new city have separate transparency (called brightness thinking more people would understand that better) controls on the General options tab.

Great work on that layer. It seems much more accessible to me now. :goodjob:
I saw you removed the signs. Are they coming back again or are they gone for good?

Apart from this, I think now we need separate tabs for main interface and city screen. The space to the right for a third column at the General tab is only a theoretical one. In reality the German and Italian translations need it desperately. :D I suggest we leave the stuff for the main interface and the strategy layer at the General tab and simply move the city screen options to a new one.

Edit: I added the strategy layer shortcuts to the Sevopedia.

First of all congratulations for the new and new and new features added to bug. I discovered this one today, as well as the "Pericles founded Corinth in a distant land" :p

I obviously toyed with dotmapping. But I also discovered a slight - very little - graphical bug, which I believe can be reproduced on any map (I tested it on a second game, it was reproduced), basically:
- display the str. layer if necessary (ctrl-X here)
- open the str. layer menu (alt-X here)
- place a fat cross (let's say, purple) on the map
- place a second fat cross, in a different color (let's say, black) on the same spot
- right click on the same tile; what it should do is remove the crosses. However, the purple one still appears
But in fact, it is still graphically here, but not physically; because if you hide/display again the str. layer (ctrl-X two times), it will disappear.

Great work btw (did I already say that?), so consider this as a small nitpick ;)

I wholeheartedly agree about splitting the tabs now. Think you can tackle it, or should I?

@JujuLautre - Please, don't apologize for finding bugs! That's a great service, and thank you for taking the time to post about it. I'll take a look at that. I saw similar behavior, but I fixed it in a different case. It's just not clearing the right layer when replacing a city; it should be a snap to fix.

Glad you like it. Oh, and entering edit mode (ALT + X) automatically shows the layer, too, so you only need CTRL + X if you want to show/hide without entering edit mode. Eventually we'll add some on-screen buttons for these.

And the signs will be coming back at some point. Given that we have another mod (EventSigns) that is creating signs for players, we really need to create a shared Sign Manager class that will allow you to show/hide signs from different layers without clobbering the other mods' signs. I really wanted to get the new dotmap thing out, so I removed the sign stuff until I can do this extra work properly.

Don't forget you always have ALT + S for making signs. The only advantage to the sign layer was the ability to show/hide them. And in the future, have multiple signs on the same plot (layers a la the dotmap).

Open the BUG options screen (ALT + CTRL + O) and check the third column on the first tab. Make sure that the STRATEGY LAYER is Enabled.

If that still doesn't solve it, after hitting ALT + X, alt-tab out of the game (or exit) and open the file "C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\PythonErr.log". If it isn't empty, post it here. If it's empty, post PythonDbg.log in that same folder.

How are you getting the SVN versions? Are you using TortoiseSVN or grabbing the ZIP snapshots? If the latter, perhaps you got the snapshot from before I committed as I think Alerum's PC posts a new one after midnight PST each night.

Open the BUG options screen (ALT + CTRL + O) and check the third column on the first tab. Make sure that the STRATEGY LAYER is Enabled.

If that still doesn't solve it, after hitting ALT + X, alt-tab out of the game (or exit) and open the file "C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\PythonErr.log". If it isn't empty, post it here. If it's empty, post PythonDbg.log in that same folder.

How are you getting the SVN versions? Are you using TortoiseSVN or grabbing the ZIP snapshots? If the latter, perhaps you got the snapshot from before I committed as I think Alerum's PC posts a new one after midnight PST each night.

I'm using TortoiseSVN, I'll check the Bug Options again. No error log is there. Now, I have a dir called Bug Project that's linked to the SVN and that's the mod I load.

Don't forget you always have ALT + S for making signs.

Do not worry about that one, once I discovered it I could not forget it.

That is, until you included the strategic layer in BUG, why note "City", "Raze", "Keep" when you can just put a yellow/black/white big BFC on it? ;)

Also, you can put BFCs in the dark, while you cannot with signs, which is really nice.

I wholeheartedly agree about splitting the tabs now. Think you can tackle it, or should I?

[...]

Sure, I'm already at it. :D Only problem is that the sliders have no fixed width and extend themselves across the whole screen:

(still thinking about a better layout)

Another thing is that they show no value unlike the FOV slider at the main interface. Is it possible to add this and fix the width somehow?

Only problem is that the sliders have no fixed width and extend themselves across the whole screen.

Heh, sweet. I can probably add a width pretty easily.

Another thing is that they show no value unlike the FOV slider at the main interface.

This will be harder; possible, but harder. Is it really worth it? Do you really need to see the numerical value? For an example, take a look at the Sound tab of the normal options screen. None of those sliders display their values.

Heh, sweet. I can probably add a width pretty easily.
Cool. :D
This will be harder; possible, but harder. Is it really worth it? Do you really need to see the numerical value? For an example, take a look at the Sound tab of the normal options screen. None of those sliders display their values.

For the transparency sliders, no. But I was thinking of some other options that use dropdown menus at the moment like the LineHeight and the MaxPlayers options at the scoreboard tab. It would be pretty neat to use sliders instead of dropdowns, imho. :D
Maybe you could "recycle" ruff's code from the FOV slider.

But I was thinking of some other options that use dropdown menus at the moment like the LineHeight and the MaxPlayers options at the scoreboard tab.

Ah, I see. Well, I'll take a look at it at least to see how much work is involved.

Unfortunately, that won't help. The event-handling code on the normal screens is entirely different from that for the tabbed options screens. As I said I know it's doable, but I just don't know yet how much effort it will take. If only a few hours, I'm up for it. Beyond that it seems not to be worth it.

Another thing is the tick marks. Can we split the option into one for the main interface and one for the city screen or should we keep it a single option? And if we stay with the latter, where do we put it: general or city screen tab?

Ah, and sorry for abusing the thread. :D

We should probably have a Tick Mark option for each bar. I doubt people will want to have them off for one and on for another, but BUG is about options! :)

[The real reason is that each tab should have an option, so we may as well make it complete.]

Just figured out that you set "expanding" to "True" for the sliders. Setting it to "False" made them a lot shorter but they are still pushing the other column to the far right. :dunno:

@Tick Marks: For each bar? :huh: Are you serious? That's a lot of micro-management. Options: yes, but that would be like a flood of unnecessary options, imho.

I would strongly advise against using any of ruff's code for recycling purposes ... unless you just like messy, nonsensical code! :lol:

Just figured out that you set "expanding" to "True" for the sliders. Setting it to "False" made them a lot shorter but they are still pushing the other column to the far right. :dunno:

Hmm, I don't think the slider is causing that. The column itself is probably set to expanding. Other columns work fine, so once you commit I can take a look at it to see if there's something that stands out. If you temporarily remove the two sliders (comment them out), does it still expand the first column?

@Tick Marks: For each bar? :huh: Are you serious? That's a lot of micro-management.

Do you realize there are only three bars with ticks marks? My thought is that if you split it into two options, you may as well split it into three. Then again, I can see having a "Tick Marks" option on each of the tabs that controls all bars on that tab. I'm fine either way. Do you need me to split the options and do the Python, or can you tackle that as well?

Hmm, I don't think the slider is causing that. The column itself is probably set to expanding. Other columns work fine, so once you commit I can take a look at it to see if there's something that stands out. If you temporarily remove the two sliders (comment them out), does it still expand the first column?

I didn't test it but I committed what I had so you can probably solve the problem. :D
Did I mention how easy it is to customize the BUG options? Thanks to your efforts even someone like me without any coding skills can do it. :goodjob:

Do you realize there are only three bars with ticks marks? My thought is that if you split it into two options, you may as well split it into three. Then again, I can see having a "Tick Marks" option on each of the tabs that controls all bars on that tab. I'm fine either way. Do you need me to split the options and do the Python, or can you tackle that as well?

Yes, after I woke up this morning. Sorry. :D
I think, we can either split it into the three options you mentioned or we apply the Tick Marks to all other bars as well (Great General/Person Progress Bar at the main interface and GP/culture bar at the city screen). With the latter option I would prefer to have only an option for the main interface and the city screen in general. What do you guys think?

(btw: Shouldn't we get our discussion to somewhere else, like the Development thread? This one is slowly getting flooded. )

. . . or we apply the Tick Marks to all other bars as well (Great General/Person Progress Bar at the main interface and GP/culture bar at the city screen).

GG bar doesn't have a rate, and the other bars' rates (X per turn) are so low that the tick marks would be next to each other, and thus not drawn (minimum 5 pixel spacing enforced by BUG). So tick marks on them would either be useless or not drawn anyway. I think one option for each is a good start.

(btw: Shouldn't we get our discussion to somewhere else, like the Development thread?

Agreed. If we need another post, just start it up over there. Here's where I wish we had moderator status in our forum so we could just move the posts and be done with it. :(

Top Bottom