Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

I don't exactly usnderstand why I don't hear music when I'm in the game, even when my civilization has researched Music.

It's amazing; it couldn't have come at a better time. Or, rather, a little earlier to memorize it would have been better, but...

I leave in the morning for a trip to a Christian church in Kenya. :)

I love that song, great stuff. Never knew it was a prayer though :eek:

KingCruz said:
In my opinion I don't see anything wrong with it:) . but imagine you in the other persons place.

For Example
Theres a song you really like (in a foriegn language) and you try to understand it and look up the lyrics:confused: . You find out its about death and distruction. Imagine how the person would react when they thought they were singing about war and plague and slaughtering... :eek:

But I don't mind the song being a prayer, im just trying to show an example what others think.

Why should it bother anyone that it is a prayer? It was purposefully made more appealing by eliminating the reference to Jesus (Yesu) and instead repeating "Yetu" to keep the feel of the song. I take it those who oppose to these songs also would oppose to, say, Handel's Messiah or Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring on a musical note?

Religion is, arguably, the biggest addition to the game. Seems appropriate for a title song to me.

I personally find the Soviet National Anthem a very catchy tune, especially for a national anthem, and I am about as patriotic American as they come... I can appreciate music from other cultures and even ideologies I oppose for its musical merits. (I do prefer the latest lyrics, though, which take out praises to Lenin...but they still are of course singing praise and allegiance to Russia, whereas I pledge my allegiance to America.)

Sam

regardless of what you think of the lyrics, the music is very very good, with a lot of depth to it.

anyone whos done a lot with music, especially choral will tell you that most of the great music has religious undertones to it, being that religious groups, mainly the church, were the primary sponsors of all music for most of western history, and the role of religion in society was much more than it is today.

in general though, song in different languages can always be really beautiful. and it often doesnt matter what theyre saying (though it can help in your interpretation of the piece so you know which parts to emphasize) swahili, french, mongolian.. all can sound great with the right music.

id love to see this song performed live. if its this great on cd, i can only imagine what it sounded like in person

Rome said:
I don't exactly usnderstand why I don't hear music when I'm in the game, even when my civilization has researched Music.

Try entering your options menu and see if music is turned on. If it is on, it might have disappeared because of alt-tabbing. That has happened to me, but it usually reappears when I restart the game.

I really love the music in Civ4, especially the title sceeen music, but I miss the smash and techno modern era songs from civ3. All the modern music in 4 is pretty much classical.
The techno type music in civ 3 really got me pumped to go take over some cities!

Well, now i know that it talks about Jesus, i hate it. Thanks for ruining it for me!

Hello.

I am an African who recently moved to the United States. I've always been a fan of the Civ series (started with CivII), although it's only for the past couple of years that I learned to play without cheats (remember the notorious cheat mode of Civ II? I'd spend hours designing the terrain around my cities so that I'd either get maximal production or maximal food - and my cities were all size 40::lol: ). Anyways, as I loaded Civ4 for the first time, I was struck by the beauty of the song - reminded me so much of home! At first I only listened to it as I set up my options, but one day I decided to hear it out - and the ending was absolutely gorgeous! I searched for it on the net, downloaded it, and am currently working on memorizing it. Great Job, Christopher Tin.

Armorydave said:
Great song. Even my 14 year old daughter likes it and she is not particularly open minded about music.
My 5 year old absolutely loves this music. He had me set his computer to play the mp3 all the time and disable in-game music.

Did I mention he is obsessed with the game, dinner conversation between he and my 4 yr old daughter last night revolved around the pros and cons of open borders with Montezuma. (I kid you not!)

I know this sounds sad (and possibly disturbing), but we are finding civ 4 is a great home-schooling tool as they both want to know more about the real world equivalents of everything in the game from the civilizations and technology to the terrain types and resources.

You know great people from the game?

A great people have been borned its MSTK :D :wavey:

Here is the Swahili translation of Matthew 6, vs. 9-13 (commonly referred to as the Lord's prayer but more accurately the disciples' prayer):

9 Basi, hivi ndivyo mnavyopaswa kusali: `Baba yetu uliye mbinguni: Jina lako litukuzwe.
10 Ufalme wako ufike. Utakalo lifanyike duniani kama mbinguni.
11 Utupe leo chakula chetu tunachohitaji.
12 Utusamehe makosa yetu, kama nasi tunavyowasamehe waliotukosea.
13 Usitutie katika majaribu, lakini utuokoe na yule Mwovu.`*fa* na utukufu, hata milele. Amina.

Note that, of course, the Name "Yesu" does not appear. Now it may be that the lyrics were originally written by a Swahili speaking believer and did contain the Name "Yesu", but this would be rather confusing grammatically and theologicaly, at least for a trinitarian.

If you like "Baba Yetu" you should listen to the Ugandan African Children's Choir. They don't need no electronic stuff to sound great!

The translation is from this site: http://www.htmlbible.com/sacrednamebiblecom/swahili/B40C001.htm

Thank you so much for the find, I love this song and now I can listen to it without having to start up CivIV!

First post btw, new troll too!

Zombie69 said:
Very mature comment. Adds a lot to the discussion.

I have to disagree with you there. I think it adds very little to the discussion and its immature. LOL

I don't think that understanding the words of a song is necessary to appreciate the melody. After all, there are a lot of good tunes in opera, be they sung in Italian or German of which I understand neither. Indeed, I often cannot understand what the singer is singing even if it is in English, my native tongue. (The famous Kathleen Ferrier, with her excessively rounded tones, is a case in point).
Melody is something which I find totally lacking from the background music which was chosen for the Modern Age. Could they not find even one modern classical piece which does not affront the ear?

Top Bottom