IndieStone - Visual Tech Tree Editor

Just one last thing to try. In Civ5Units.xml, try changing the reference to "Policies(Type)" instead of "PolicyBranchTypes(Type)" and see if that makes any difference. Glad it's working without conflict resolution, but it's very strange that that feature doesn't work for you when it works for me.

Againt ArgumentNullException with conflict detection. It indeed is weird. I think the both PolicyBranchTypes(Type) and Policies(Type) work, as the exception is ArgumentNull when with the original PolicyTypes(Type) its KeyNotFoundException, which indeed doesn't work even without the conflict detection. There is something else going on with the conflict detection. I'd say those two actions drop it from showstopper category issue to something less severe.

Right guys, I may not have fixed the individual problems that you're running into, but I've made some small, useful changes to the Tech Tree Editor in trying to diagnose them. I've uploaded a new version (same download link as before).

Changes:

• Fixed a bug where you couldn't export multiple times without restarting the Editor
  • Fixed a crash caused by Firaxis' invalid XML in Civ5Units.xml from BNW. XML columns that use reference="table(column)" are still validated, but missing tables detected there are logged to the console window at the bottom of the Editor instead of crashing. (This means you no longer need the 'fix' for Firaxis' Civ5Units.xml file.)
  • The Editor will now prompt you to enter a file name if you leave the project file blank when exporting, instead of crashing when trying to write the project file.
  • The Editor should no longer crash if you're missing one or more expansions.

Hope this helps!

Againt ArgumentNullException with conflict detection. It indeed is weird. I think the both PolicyBranchTypes(Type) and Policies(Type) work, as the exception is ArgumentNull when with the original PolicyTypes(Type) its KeyNotFoundException, which indeed doesn't work even without the conflict detection. There is something else going on with the conflict detection. I'd say those two actions drop it from showstopper category issue to something less severe.

I'm looking at the part of the code now that this exception is coming from, and what it should be doing there is listing all of the possible conflict resolution options you have for a given conflict. It does some language processing stuff there that is very complex (I'm looking through it now to understand what it does) and could possibly be the root of the issue. Do you have any additional languages installed?

I'm looking at the part of the code now that this exception is coming from, and what it should be doing there is listing all of the possible conflict resolution options you have for a given conflict. It does some language processing stuff there that is very complex (I'm looking through it now to understand what it does) and could possibly be the root of the issue. Do you have any additional languages installed?

I have English windows, but I'm using Finnish locale, but apart from that, nothing. Tried the new version and it works/throws exception the same way.

It's working almost perfectly now.

But I got a window asking me to replace Trade Unions. What should I do? Trade it with which Policy?

Attachments

• techeditor.png
    techeditor.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 276
I have English windows, but I'm using Finnish locale, but apart from that, nothing. Tried the new version and it works/throws exception the same way.

Locale as in your OS locale setting? Having never installed any additional languages for CiV myself, I'm not completely sure what the process is, but I know it creates some differences in the game database. I'm unsure if those languages have to be installed explicitly for CiV or if it detects your current setup.

It's working almost perfectly now.

But I got a window asking me to replace Trade Unions. What should I do? Trade it with which Policy?

You won't get this window if you replace the column reference with Policies instead of PolicyBranchTypes. (Sorry, I'm being confusing, but I only just realized there were two policy-ish tables in BNW today.) PolicyBranchTypes is only all the old, pre-BNW Policies, but the Policies table also includes all the ideologies stuff (which is where Trade Unions is).

Alternatively, you could just let the Editor replace the entry with any other policy. I find the Editor often produces a lot more output than I want to use and I cherry pick the pieces that make the changes I want, so I just leave out the XML that updates the Landsknecht in this case.

Wow. Ok. This is very strange, probably a bug in Steam (hope so), but I have two separete Civ5 installation folders. I though this would not be possible, since they are managed by Valve's software automatically.

It is working perfectly now.

Man, this is such a relief! I have a total conversion in the making and this will make my life a bit less harder.
If you ever need something I can do, just ask away. Thank you very much for your support and attention!

S3rgeus,

Civ5-wise I don't have any weird language setups. I tested this on fresh Windows 7 install and SDK-tools, but the issue remains the same. Only thing I can think of is that I'm using VS 2010 Express, but that's a long shot even if you all use 2008.

Is this editor compatibile with brave new world because always when I want to launch it, it shows me the message that couldnt find path: C:\Games\Sid Meier`s Civilization V\Assets\Resource\DX9 , plzzzzz help I dont know what to do, I always want to make my own BIG tech tree, plzzz help

Is this editor compatibile with brave new world because always when I want to launch it, it shows me the message that couldnt find path: C:\Games\Sid Meier`s Civilization V\Assets\Resource\DX9 , plzzzzz help I dont know what to do, I always want to make my own BIG tech tree, plzzz help

Yes, it is compatible with BNW. Is that the correct path to your CiV installation? Even if you've told Steam to install it elsewhere, then there should be some Steam-related folders in the path. Ensure that your Asset path is set correctly as Nutty outlines here.

Yes the path is correct, I dont know what to do :(

Your Asset path is set to "C:\Games\Sid Meier`s Civilization V" and if you go to that folder on your computer, that's where all of the CiV files are? That's very unusual. I have explicitly installed my games elsewhere (so not under Steam in Program Files) but my path is this: "E:\Games\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V". Steam creates its own directories as a part of that path.

Also, I notice the path you've quoted uses a backtick (`) instead of an apostrophe/single quote ('). Is that copied and pasted out of your Asset path? If so, you may have to use apostrophe instead.

One question about this wonderful editor - how can I add an era between renaissance and industrial? I mean, is there any better way than 'drag all post - renaissance techs and their connections to right and put new era into the void? :p

One question about this wonderful editor - how can I add an era between renaissance and industrial? I mean, is there any better way than 'drag all post - renaissance techs and their connections to right and put new era into the void? :p

Unfortunately I don't think there's a fast way to do that (I'd do much the same as you described). The era manipulation is a bit buggy (in my experience) so I'd save/export often when trying to do that.

When i installed the mod, i got the "cannot find Assets/DX 9" error, which i fix by moving the editor to the Civ 5 folder itself. But now, when i open the editor, it says "cannot find root element". How can i fix this ?

When i installed the mod, i got the "cannot find Assets/DX 9" error, which i fix by moving the editor to the Civ 5 folder itself. But now, when i open the editor, it says "cannot find root element". How can i fix this ?

You shouldn't need to copy the editor into your Civ5 directory. It sounds like your asset path may not be set correctly. Have you loaded up ModBuddy and filled in the paths it asks for on the computer you're working on? You'll need to do that first. If you've already done that, then they might be incorrect, which Nutty outlines how to fix here. The value you want to set them to is:

<path to your steam folder>\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V

*Brushes away cobwebs* Hello? Anyone here?

I've downloaded the BNW version, and fixed the directories for Modbuddy, but on the program startup (while the box at the bottom still says "Loading Base Database", I get this error:

Spoiler :
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Xml.XmlException: 'Offset' is an unexpected token. Expecting white space. Line 16, position 43.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowExpectingWhitespace(Int32 pos)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
   at IndieStoneCiv5XMLTools.Civ5XmlDatabase.LoadTables(String file)
   at IndieStoneCiv5XMLTools.Civ5XmlDatabase.Load()
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.FirstUpdate()
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.panel1_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
IndieStoneTechEditor
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Christopher/Documents/Civ%20Modding%20and%20Assorted%20Civ%20Stuff/VTTE%20BNW/IndieStoneTechEditor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34251 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34270 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
IndieStoneTools
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Christopher/Documents/Civ%20Modding%20and%20Assorted%20Civ%20Stuff/VTTE%20BNW/IndieStoneTools.DLL
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
If I then continue into the program, creating a tech gives this error:
Spoiler :
Code:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.Tech.Default(String value)
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.Tech..ctor()
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechEditorGlobals.CreateTech()
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.designer_ElementAdded(Object sender, ElementEventArgs e)
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.Diagram.Designer.OnElementAdded(ElementEventArgs e)
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.Diagram.Designer.OnDoubleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
IndieStoneTechEditor
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Christopher/Documents/Civ%20Modding%20and%20Assorted%20Civ%20Stuff/VTTE%20BNW/IndieStoneTechEditor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
IndieStoneTools
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Christopher/Documents/Civ%20Modding%20and%20Assorted%20Civ%20Stuff/VTTE%20BNW/IndieStoneTools.DLL
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

Double-clicking on a tech gives this:
Spoiler :
Code:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.Reclick(Int32 mX, Int32 mY)
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.Diagram.Designer.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

mscorlib
IndieStoneTechEditor
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
System
IndieStoneTools
System.Xml
System.Configuration
Accessibility

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

During all of this, the panels on the right don't show anything; the top one has a large red cross going through it, and the bottom one is just blank.
Finally, going File --> New from Civ 5 Tech Tree doesn't do anything - the text at the bottom stops on "Building tree in editor".
Sorry if this is a major necro, but I was looking forward to seeing what I could do with this.
Thanks in advance.

*Brushes away cobwebs* Hello? Anyone here?

I've downloaded the BNW version, and fixed the directories for Modbuddy, but on the program startup (while the box at the bottom still says "Loading Base Database", I get this error:

Spoiler :
Code:

System.Xml.XmlException: 'Offset' is an unexpected token. Expecting white space. Line 16, position 43.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowExpectingWhitespace(Int32 pos)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
   at IndieStoneCiv5XMLTools.Civ5XmlDatabase.LoadTables(String file)
   at IndieStoneCiv5XMLTools.Civ5XmlDatabase.Load()
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.FirstUpdate()
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.panel1_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)

mscorlib
IndieStoneTechEditor
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
System
IndieStoneTools
System.Xml
System.Configuration
Accessibility

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

If I then continue into the program, creating a tech gives this error:
Spoiler :
Code:

at IndieStoneTechEditor.Tech.Default(String value)
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.Tech..ctor()
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechEditorGlobals.CreateTech()
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.designer_ElementAdded(Object sender, ElementEventArgs e)
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.Diagram.Designer.OnElementAdded(ElementEventArgs e)
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.Diagram.Designer.OnDoubleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

mscorlib
IndieStoneTechEditor
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
System
IndieStoneTools
System.Xml
System.Configuration
Accessibility

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

Double-clicking on a tech gives this:
Spoiler :
Code:

at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.Reclick(Int32 mX, Int32 mY)
   at IndieStoneTechEditor.Diagram.Designer.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

mscorlib
IndieStoneTechEditor
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
System
IndieStoneTools
System.Xml
System.Configuration
Accessibility

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

During all of this, the panels on the right don't show anything; the top one has a large red cross going through it, and the bottom one is just blank.
Finally, going File --> New from Civ 5 Tech Tree doesn't do anything - the text at the bottom stops on "Building tree in editor".
Sorry if this is a major necro, but I was looking forward to seeing what I could do with this.
Thanks in advance.

Hello! I'm still here. :D

I've just booted up the tech tree editor on my PC to see if any new Firaxis patches broke it, but it's all working as expected for me.

It looks like the Editor is unable to load the xml from the CiV install directory in order to construct the base game database. The other two problems are likely knock-on effects of that issue. When you say you've fixed the paths for Modbuddy, you mean you've set your asset path correctly as described here?

It looks like there's a file that's got some invalid xml in it in your CiV install directory. Do you have any local edits to any of your xml files or new xml files added to your CiV install directory, possibly through fake DLC for multiplayer mods set up? Try validating your local files through Steam and opening the Editor again.

Thanks for the suggestions; The issue was either TAL or EUI, so I'll have to remember about them next time!
Modding motivation: Increased!

I'm having a bit if a problem booting up the program. I get the splash screen and the main window, but then an error message appears saying that the root element is missing. I have ModBuddy installed and it runs fine.

Top Bottom