Defense tips and tricks

I finally got through the defense scenario. As I suspected, round 20 was just a repeat of all of the other rounds combined. Having played through it all, I have a number of concrete tips that should help everyone pass it.

1) You can space you cities out so you can build 10 (I've heard 11, but can see no way to do this.) Make sure your first city is as far forward as possible.

2) Most of the later part of the tech tree is useless. This is because the cost of the units rises dramatically as their costs go up. To get a single rocketman, you have to pay around 2k to research the tech, and then another 2560 to get the unit itself.

3) However, the beginning techs: scouts, trebuchets, catapults, riders and macemen are all essential for victory.

4) At the beginning of every round you should always build as many cities as you can. You should purchase the scout tech as early as you can, and build enough scouts so that you can see all of the map. This isn't very costly, since scouts start at 10 each, and it pays off in that you are guarenteed to get all 5 goodie huts each round before they are trampled by the enemy.

5) Whenever an enemy unit is spawned, it always makes a beeline for the first city you placed, that's why that city is so important. You should be able to identify a number of squares on the map that the AI will never use, and you can put your ranged units there. If the fastest path to your city is 18 turns, whichever path the computer chooses must be 18 turns.

6) Never attack suicide granadiers with your melee troops. Your melee units will always be killed. You can attack a stack with a grenadier in it, as long as it's not the defending unit. Never defend against a samurai unit, all of your units next to the defending unit will be killed or seriously wounded.

7) It's important to get some promoted macemen. Getting a maceman with March and Woodsman III is killer. You should also get at least two riders with the blitz promotion.

8) You don't actually have to have defenders on your towns at all. I placed a single forest warrior to protect my first city and he never fought at all. At the beginning of the game you should purchase your first town and one of each of the units available.

Well that's it, I think that's enough to win it. Happy hunting.

This is very unique defense tips. I know that you have a good defence tips and also good scenario. So thanks for sharing knowledge.

Regards:
Hank Freid

I just played this scenario for the first time. I got to level 17 on my first try. My second try I beat the game and only lost about 5 units the whole game. Like the OP says, the enemy units will make a beeline to your first city. You only need to defend your first city which should be near the jungle in the middle of the map. Put two jungle warriors right there at the chokepoint in the mountains next to your starting city and you shouldn't lose them the entire game. Lots of ranged units are the key. You should only need about 4-5 macemen and two riders, plus two scouts, and your original two jungle warriors for the entire game...plus gobs of archers, cannons, and artillery. When I finished the game I had several thousand gold left over. Pretty fun but I don't think I will play this one again.

Hypocrite.

I was answering his question and telling him that posting in ancient threads should be avoided. Let's put it like this: Bill is walking across a bridge. It's a rickety old bridge, and you doubt it will support him. It breaks and he is left dangling in the air, hanging on by an old, worn-down rope. You tell him: Don't do that again!

Would you help him, or no? (The bridge can fully support your weight, but not his, so you are in no danger)

It's more like Bill walks across the bridge and a plank breaks and his leg falls through. So you walk onto the rickety bridge, look down, and say geez Bill why are you walking on a rickety old bridge. X)

I really don't understand anyone's aversion to thread necromancy on the civfanatics forums.

Okay, fine, if we were on a forum that sells computer parts, which can become obsolete within a matter of weeks or months, let alone years, then yeah, dredging up old threads about outdated products is a problem.

But the Defence Scenario still exists. It was a really fun one. Certainly, the information presented in this thread is still valid and is quite useful. And those who never got a chance to play the scenario really should!

I really don't understand anyone's aversion to thread necromancy on the civfanatics forums.
Old threads are often outdated and contain information that in the meantime turned out to be wrong, superseded by patches, or misleading in the context of current knowledge and discussions. Of course this isn't the case for *every* thread, but as a general rule of thumb, not necromancing threads is much easier to maintain, bring across, and adhere to, than expecting everyone who necros a thread to read every post inside and competently eveluate whether it wouldn't be problematic if necroed.

Top Bottom