Diplomatic marriage

forcedalt

Warlord
Another worthless post , like this one http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=521296 , where i wonder what the little tiny microscopic people inside the computer screen are actually doing when something happens in civ5.

Sometimes the notification says "a handsome prince has married..." , but , i think it could also say "a lovely princess" ,so, its not Maria Teresa personally hooking up , like , she keeps growing her own love harem of former CS governors. She is forcing some relative (cousin, sister, brother, child...) into an arranged marriage , and , this somehow makes a CS cease to exist altogether , and , incontestably , for all time brings the entirety of the city , its people and all its army to total loyalty. Maria Teresa must be the most persuasive person in all worlds to make that work. The large amounts of gold needed to execute this ,probably help to grease some wheels.

You need about 1,500 gold to bring a CS from 0 to +60+ for long enough to keep it allied the needed turns. The cost of the marriage action itself ranges from 1,500-1,700.
the rush cost of the jet fighter unit is 1,190 gold. In the real world the purchase cost of an F-15 Raptor is : $150mil (USD)
Using these figures to calculate a conversion rate ,and assuming the jet unit only represents a single jet ,and , not a whole squadron. A unit of Civ 5 gold is worth roughly $125k Hmmmm, that doesn't sound right ,but , i will keep going with it.

So,the dowry for the marriage is $189 million on top of the $189 million gift given some years earlier to form the alliance. Well that could be enough money to bribe the sovereignty of a small country ,if , it was concentrated into a ruling elite.

One time i played huge map with Austria ,and , went wide ,eating about 20 CS's.

Imagining the lives of the citizens of my empire. Since i consider the marriage cost to be like a dowry , it means : this incredible amount of money was given to one particular person ; the head of state of the CS. I picture it as a shady deal of sorts. A secret envoy from the Austrian diplomatic corp meets with the CS leader and lays out the deal.
The initial gold to raise the influence bar is just for that. The CS leader will : announce the alliance to his people , sing the praises of Austria ,and distribute the gold amongst his people , making damn good and sure they know who it came from. The CS citizens are all N-word rich at Austria's expense. Imported goods flood into the CS to give purchases for the new disposable income. New job openings in shipping and retail create a labor vacuum causing average salaries to skyrocket. "Austria made us all rich" is the general view throughout the five turn period (which could be anywhere from 2-100 years depending on era and pace)
One day the CS president makes an announcement in the town square, the square is packed with citizens ready to hear an important address to the people.
"our alliance with our Austrian friends abroad has brought our people to prosperity and prominence previously unheard of in the great history of our people. Today we usher in a new age of this great alliance. ( the crowd cheers)
"Like many of you , i have a family i raised , loved , and provided for in this great city. My eldest daughter has come of age to marry , and , has found a suitor. Her husband will be young Lord Leopold of the Austrian royal house."
" The Duke has made several diplomatic visits through this region ,and , during those times , he has found love and fellowship amongst our people." "Currently the Duke is on honeymoon in Vienna. " (the president pauses and swallows hard at the thought of the scrumping) " however , he sends his regards ,and , has told me he looks forward to serving as your earl after my retirement this fall." (loud murmurs from the crowd below) "yes, yes , its true , please settle down. Its true. The rumors are true. We are now Austrians." " The treaties are all signed ,and plans to integrate our guilds and military into the Austrian royal services ,and , permanently dissolve the old city government will begin immediately." " Please don't see this as a sudden shift , but as another step in the prosperous path that Austria is walking with us."

A few weeks later : after the duke and his bride came to assume their position as the cities royal presence , a strange ship appeared at the harbor, an odd ship type never seen by these people before. It was a Yacht with a swimming pool on the deck , and a speed boat in the swimming pool , this was the personal ship of the former president , the ship he used to travel to his beach house in the equatorial provinces.

and......yeah , that's probably how the diplo marriage skill works.

Diplomatic marriage wasn't all that uncommon back in the renaissance age. Maria Theresa planned to have as many children as possible so they could wed with other heads of state and she would eventually rule all of Europe. Spoiler: It didn't work.

Diplomatic marriage wasn't all that uncommon back in the renaissance age. Maria Theresa planned to have as many children as possible so they could wed with other heads of state and she would eventually rule all of Europe. Spoiler: It didn't work.

What you say is true. One of the reasons it didn't unite all of Europe into one uber-country is : These types of marriages weren't as uniform and one dimensional as the Civ's UA. Marriage treaties were usually just non-aggression pacts enforced by having a royal from one nation take residence in the other. Either spouse dying young , or , failing to produce heirs , could be cited as justifications for violating such treaties.

In the Civiverse : Some nations are born with a spark of uniqueness and ambition that makes them destined to be great powers in the world. Austria knows these few great powers of the world are too proud and unique to accept a true merger of two states into one. Vague and unbinding proclamations of friendship is the best you could expect of these proud giants. If two members of ruling families wed , it would have little to no effect on the strong national identity and leadership of these cultural giants. However.....somehow ,in this world of dragon nations , there are other peoples of the world. Places where great leaders inexplicably never rose up to establish the national identity that motivates a people to build its empire.
These other people of the world , these small people..... It is well know an allegiance , of sorts , can be gained through foreign aid , protection from the roaming savages ,and , other good works. The Greeks in particular have had much success in these affairs ,however, this bond has proven to be ultimately fleeting , and always mildly ,shall we say detached in a way. What if.....we could offer these small people something .... more? A chance to feel , for once, TRUE representation by a great power. We give them our blood ,our divinity, we make them royal

What you say is true. One of the reasons it didn't unite all of Europe into one uber-country is : These types of marriages weren't as uniform and one dimensional as the Civ's UA. Marriage treaties were usually just non-aggression pacts enforced by having a royal from one nation take residence in the other. Either spouse dying young , or , failing to produce heirs , could be cited as justifications for violating such treaties.

In the Civiverse : Some nations are born with a spark of uniqueness and ambition that makes them destined to be great powers in the world. Austria knows these few great powers of the world are too proud and unique to accept a true merger of two states into one. Vague and unbinding proclamations of friendship is the best you could expect of these proud giants. If two members of ruling families wed , it would have little to no effect on the strong national identity and leadership of these cultural giants. However.....somehow ,in this world of dragon nations , there are other peoples of the world. Places where great leaders inexplicably never rose up to establish the national identity that motivates a people to build its empire.
These other people of the world , these small people..... It is well know an allegiance , of sorts , can be gained through foreign aid , protection from the roaming savages ,and , other good works. The Greeks in particular have had much success in these affairs ,however, this bond has proven to be ultimately fleeting , and always mildly ,shall we say detached in a way. What if.....we could offer these small people something .... more? A chance to feel , for once, TRUE representation by a great power. We give them our blood ,our divinity, we make them royal

Indeed, while the great powers wage endless wars against each other, and seem to be overly concerned with "winning" through either conquering every great power's capital, or launching a spaceship to Alpha Centauri, or being elected world leader in the UN, or causing every great power to buy their blue jeans and listen to their pop music (and all of this by some imaginary and arbitrary 2050 deadline, as if the world would suddenly come to an end by then), the smaller nations have no such hegemonic ambitions. Correctly realizing that life is not a game to be "won", they coexist peacefully with each other. Unless they happened to be in opposing camps of a war between great powers, and even then it only seems like something they were forced into doing, as they immediately make peace with each other the moment their alliance with the great power ends. So peaceful are these small states, in fact, that they even allow the units of other nations to enter their territory, something that would be grounds for an immediate declaration of war were it to be done to a great power.

Throughout the history of civilizations, we have observed that some of these smaller nations have abruptly arisen to become great powers, with all the ambition and obsession with "winning" that this brings. One of the most curious examples of these ascended city-states is the once modest nation of Venice. As you have just described the process the Austrians call "diplomatic marriage", I wonder, how would you describe what Venice does? :deal::c5gold::c5puppet:

Getting back to civ related; do city state quests to become allies with them and only spend the gold will cut the cost down to 500 to 800 gold.

Getting back to civ related; do city state quests to become allies with them and only spend the gold will cut the cost down to 500 to 800 gold.

True , indeed , i was thinking of CS that had 0 influence , and ,no available quests. Granted that specific situation tends to be a rarity.

Throughout the history of civilizations, we have observed that some of these smaller nations have abruptly arisen to become great powers, with all the ambition and obsession with "winning" that this brings. One of the most curious examples of these ascended city-states is the once modest nation of Venice. As you have just described the process the Austrians call "diplomatic marriage", I wonder, how would you describe what Venice does? :deal::c5gold::c5puppet:

"Enrico! , Enrico! , Mayor Dandolo !!" , the envoy shouts as he scurries trying to catch up with the mayor in the halls of the city council building. The mayor turns around to address the envoy, the envoy halts himself suddenly to not crash into the mayor ,causing him to drop the many papers and scrolls he was carrying.
"What is it lad? , that has you in such a tizzy?"
"Its urgent news of our trade minister assigned to Almaty."
"Yes, Lord Giovanni , i believe it is. What happened, is he safe? Has Almaty fallen to the Huns ,or , god forbid , the Aztecs." "Almaty has fallen to Lord Giovanni ,sir"
"I don't follow what your telling me lad."
"Its all recounted here sir" He is now crouched on the floor , and , handing up the dropped papers to the mayor. " Lord Giovanni is a man of great personal wealth ,as we all know ,sir. Despite the conflict of interest ,he had been granting loans to Almaty traders and merchants. In fact : he had established a branch of his Bank of Venice in Almaty." By now he had finished handing up the papers , and , returned to his feet.
"I see." said Enrico ,now looking through the documents. "He has severe high interest debts owed from almost every business in Almaty , including their city council as well." "Had , sir."
"Pardon,lad?"
"Read on sir. In agreement for settlement of the debts , They capitulated the city to Giovanni's control."
"So, Giovanni is now : the mayor, or , perhaps...dictator ,of Almaty?"
"Well its more complicated than just that."
"How so?"
"Giovanni has made it clear he remains loyal to our city of Venice ,and , will only act as a regent of Almaty for Venice."
"That does complicate things. It brings Almaty under my authority. We have a .......province...... but.....could we handle such a duty? The major powers have many provinces , but , they are The Major Powers. I suppose we can leave the situation as it stands now on a very temporary basis while , i have time to consider a solution to the quandary."
Enrico did not have the time for thinking he thought he would ,because , in the following days, The city hall of Venice received envoys with , odd , unorthodox messages from Major powers.
An offer to trade his newly acquired spices from Almaty for a steady payment of IGU. (international gold unit) . An Aztec message proposing a : secret pact of war???
"What the hell is a "research agreement" ,anyway?! Enrico exclaimed as he poured through the stacks of documents cluttering his desk.
His aides were present , and ,one asked to speak.
"go on. What is it?"
"I studied at the national college in London in my youth, and , i think from my unique understanding of the major powers , i can offer an explanation for the odd change in relations."
"OK , but , try to explain quickly , i have been summoned to the court of a newly discovered major power , the "World Congress". "
"Um......I don't think the World Congress is a major power , sir , but i think we may be."
"Of course! , how could i be so blind , the sudden torrent of diplomatic envoys are a sort of acknowledgement of empirical statehood."
"Yes , i think , because of the Almaty situation , we have been mistaken for a major power."
"Almost correct , what if :we ARE a major power"
"Sir???"
"I have always had a strange dream that haunts me through my slumbers. I hear a voice. The voice recounts the story of my life, then calls me a "mighty ruler" , then : the voice asks the question ,always the same question. it asks me to : "build a civilization to stand the test of time" I think i know what it all means now."
"As you say Mayor....ahem...Emperor Dandolo."

Some years later the new CEO of Bank of Venice is called to the court of the emperor. He approaches the thrown and bows. The emperor speaks : "Rise. I have an opportunity for you , great merchant of our strong kingdom of Venice. Have you ever been to Kyzyl ?"

Top Bottom