England - the underrated Deity faction

I'm surprised no one thought England was supposed to be a maritmine nation.

1. Its UA gives 2+ movement. an extra 1+ with Great Lighthouse and another if you go to exploration, also getting 1+ sight from either.

2. Navigation, the time where cities should not be over 45-ish strength (Red Wall Exception)

3. 7 extra ranged attack, by far the most overpowered sea unit in the game, making it give 35 ranged strength.

4. Overpowered protection, five extra strength, giving it easy protection.

5. Production cheaper. Tied with Harbors and Seaports, you'll be getting SoTL's astonishingly fast.

Water maps, England wins, just simply trade some GPT for Iron, stay peaceful until Navigation. England is and always will be designed as a maritime nation, that is how its history goes. (Though they were successful on-land too.)

Any map that has big continents on it, you're going to have a slighter harder time with them. SoTL's can't reach on land, this is why they are so overpowered.

I made a thread about it, actually. :)

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?274731-Ship-of-the-Lines

I'll post my latest start from last night. Played until 4.30 am (I have work from 9 am). I'm attacking Austria with longbowmen. I boomed London so hard I can build a SOTL in 3 turns. I just have to fill all my trade slots first and then its SOTL spam forever. First target - Kyoto, because Oda built a bunch of wonders. Then Marakkesh, which is just opposite the channel from where I am. After that it's Carthage. Meanwhile I'll sweep Austria, Ethiopia, Siam and Japan off my continent with my land troops.

By the way, I'm enjoying religious community and feed the world.

Can longbowmen get a range promotion to give them 4 range? But good thread from the OP I can see how England would be quite good for a diety game.
Also regarding iron, considering that SotLs are renaissance era there's plenty of time for the player to get some iron

No, you can get Logistics for double attack. The promotion they get by default. Their +1 range is not an inherent bonus. Which makes sense because otherwise you'd have 3 range Gatling Guns and that would get absurd.

In this game in question I have only 1 patch of Iron but more is sprinkled around my continet. Also, Dido is selling 15 iron, and I'm looking to buy. She will be the last to die to my SOTL pack.

Nice well just make sure Dido doesn't double-cross you on the iron trade

I just need that to get the initial pack of ships ready. After conquering Japan/Austria and part of Morocco I should be independent from her supply. She has to die eventually as all her stuff is usually coastal and therefore fresh meat for my navy.

No, you can get Logistics for double attack. The promotion they get by default. Their +1 range is not an inherent bonus. Which makes sense because otherwise you'd have 3 range Gatling Guns and that would get absurd.

In this game in question I have only 1 patch of Iron but more is sprinkled around my continet. Also, Dido is selling 15 iron, and I'm looking to buy. She will be the last to die to my SOTL pack.

Ehm I dunno how they do it exactly (long time since I played England), but I'm 110% sure that the +1 range is upgraded to Gatling Guns, they get 2 range.

Or do you just mean that they only get a maximum of +1 range, otherwise you WOULD have 3 range gattling guns? That would make sense now I read it that way.

gah if only 3range gatlings could exist :scan:

i've hard-promoted a Scout-turned-Archer-eventually turned-Gatling to Range 2 + March + Barrage 3 and it was god-mode :p

granted, it's Marathon speed and we know you can war for massive promotions on Marathon.

Ehm I dunno how they do it exactly (long time since I played England), but I'm 110% sure that the +1 range is upgraded to Gatling Guns, they get 2 range.

Or do you just mean that they only get a maximum of +1 range, otherwise you WOULD have 3 range gattling guns? That would make sense now I read it that way.

They start with range, so they can't earn it

They start with range, so they can't earn it

Oh. No 3-range Gatling Guns after all.

But the double-attack promotion of the Chu-Ko-Nu is not Logistics, right? Does that mean they can also get Logistics and attack 3 times per turn? Although it seems you'd also need Mobility to even be able to use the third attack. :crazyeye:

No third attack for Chu-ko-nus with logistics. They are not the same promotion, but they have the same effect. Same applies to mounted units with March that are upgraded to armor units -- don't bother taking Repair, since it has the same effect as March.

No third attack for Chu-ko-nus with logistics. They are not the same promotion, but they have the same effect. Same applies to mounted units with March that are upgraded to armor units -- don't bother taking Repair, since it has the same effect as March.

Thank you for the clarification; very useful to know.

A bit off-topic, but what about a gift CKN from a CS if you play Persia? Can he shot three times with logistics during a Golden Age?

u really think u r the 1. to find out that english frigates are totaly op on water maps???
:crazyeye:
the reason no1 bothers with them cause its way to easy and no challange to win like that.

I honestly can't see how I'm supposed to take a city with catapults/trebuchets when it basically can single handedly murder my entire army.

who builds catapults on deity? if u want warmonger medival era u obviously upgrade some lvled up cbows into xbows and have few meatshields for them.

I actually did get 3 shot, 3 movement, 3 sight Chu-ko-nus once. You have to upgrade a scout 3 times to where he gets the +1 movement, then find a ruin to upgrade him to an archer. That's the tricky part but still doable on some maps.

u really think u r the 1. to find out that english frigates are totaly op on water maps???
:crazyeye:
the reason no1 bothers with them cause its way to easy and no challange to win like that.

who builds catapults on deity? if u want warmonger medival era u obviously upgrade some lvled up cbows into xbows and have few meatshields for them.

I didn't claim to discover anything. I'm sharing my thoughts on a forum, and from the entire thread, you are the only one to adopt such an attitude.

If you can't tell, have not read my post(s) indepth and haven't been paying attention you would have seen that I am a fairly new Civ 5 player. Infact, I started with BWN+fall patch a month ago and I jumped right onto Deity. It's been a steep but fun learning curve.

And already I've grown bored with a Scientific victory as a tall Babylon empire. If a new player (not new to Civ in general but new to Civ 5) can do it on Deity in 1 month then that is definitely EZ mode, much more so than actually going to war, be it with Ships of the Line or no.

Top Bottom