Some mod directions if you please

Elyar

Chieftain
Hey all,

I have been playing this game for some time (both expansions + all dlc) and I am looking for some mod recommendations. So, I thought I'd join in this elaborate place and ask for advice :).

I prefer very long, realistic (within our reasonable limitations of course) games and I would also like some improved A.I., diplomacy and balance. Yup, I know it sounds like a lot but I have seen some great efforts in the modpacks section.

Which ones would you recommend to approach my goal and, hopefully, that can be trusted to be somewhat stable?

There are two mods I'd recommend for sure.
First one is Krajzen's Buff's Pack. It allows for some selecting if you think some of the things he tweaked are overpowered and in general patches the balance up nicely.
The other one is titled Game Balance [BNW] and is by Ninakoru at the steam workshop. It further balances the game out (Which works great combined with Krajzen's buffs) and especially makes you think a lot more about the combat parts.
Those two make for a great starting combo in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies. What about the city state diplomacy or commutas? I see they are quite popular.

Wow, that pick n mix blog is... epic.

Still, I'm only looking for some recommendations based on your experience, on A.I., diplomacy and general balance. I don't have half the experience of some people in here to make smart choices and family life doesn't allow for much trial and error.

If you can provide me with some specific mods to try out based on your experience I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for the people who have responded.

# Download Smart AI.

It REALLY improves AI, mainly combat but not only that:
- makes AI able to move and attack units in the same turn (yes, previously it was impossible! what the hell, Firaxis?) and this change makes great difference
- makes AI smarter with upgrading and maintaining units
- AI doesn't embark its units mindlessly
- AI uses great people much better
- AI is able to buy buildings with gold (really Firaxis? :crazyeye:)
- other tweaks

# I also recommend custom civilizations done by: LS (LastSword), Pouakai, sukritact, TPangolin, Leugi. IMHO as good as Firaxis civs, very proffesional.

# Yet Another Earth Maps Pack.

#...thanks Loucypher :0

#Quick Turns (faster AI turn loading time)

Would you say Smart A.I., city diplomacy mod, RED (for the aesthetics, hehe), emigration, perfectworld 3 (those aesthetics again) and enhanced user interface sound like a good combination? What others would you add? I'm planning to play the longest game possible.

Ninakoru's Smart AI mod and Game Balance mod are my two favorite. Can't imagine playing without the Smart AI mod anymore especially...the AI's use of frigates is so much better now that they can MOVE AND SHOOT!

I also use a bunch of the interface ones from WHoward's Pick n Mix, such as:

UI - Improved City Banner (v 6)
UI - City Production (v 14)
UI - Trade Opportunities (v 26)
UI - Small Resource Icons (v 4)
UI - Religion Spread (v 12)
UI - City Happiness (v 16)

Edit - Also the Communitas map script makes some very nice and balanced maps.

Top Bottom