C-IV PDF Manual

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Moderator Action: I am querying with Firaxis whether a PDF manual is allowed, and if it is, we will post an official link to it. I strongly suspect they will claim that it is piracy, however you can wait a few days for the response.

In the interim, we consider it piracy, and we have zero tolerance for it. We will ban anyone who PMs, offers to PM or links to a version of the manual.

To think I was going to post: "Ooooh, now I've got a manual" having read the thread title :p

Only j/king only j/king :)

since the german version of the manual is unusable, they should have a good long think before refusing.

translating alphabetical lists without re-sorting them is beyond stupid. :eek:

How on Earth they could be against a .pdf ops guide is beyond me.

.Pdf manuals can be gotten online from manufacturers for so many products these days. vcr's, dvd players, a/c units, stoves, ovens, most products.

Pretty easy why they don't want a PDF available. They want you to have to purchase the game in order to have it. Otherwise, people who don't have a legal copy can download the manual also.

I don't understand why a manual can relate to privacy!
There are all kinds of manuals around the world and I have seldom seen a manual which is private.

I'm not how telling this site not to share it is going to help. I haven't looked but since the manual comes in a .pdf form on CD (According to a post here) I'm sure its already being downloaded

enchanter100 said:
Pretty easy why they don't want a PDF available. They want you to have to purchase the game in order to have it. Otherwise, people who don't have a legal copy can download the manual also.

The game has enough help screens and a tutorial so a manual isnt needed.

It would be daft and in poor judgement not to give it up.

I think the manual is the important book to recongize this great game deeply because the help screen can't tell you all the things about the CIV.

I was hoping I would get to read it early.
I need something to tide me over until I get the actual game.
The forum isn't that good.
In the meantime, is there something online that does give information like that?
Even if not as good.

The site has a good working relationship with the makers of the game, so it is understandable they do not want to do anything to jeopardize it. Some have good intentions with the manual but others want it to scam Fraxis. The manual I have says they do not want people to distribute copies of the accompanying documentation of the program, so think that covers manuals as well.

enchanter100 said:

But the manual is in PDF format. If some people have it in PDF format having bought the game, it stands to reason some people who've copied the game will have copies with it in PDF format.

The 'big releases' don't come with the manual, as far as i'm aware, which is probably why lots of people want it. I didn't think the manual was that useful anyway, a combination of playing and browsing and reading the forums is all you need :) I guess if you don't have the game yet, or haven't played civ before, an online version might be useful.

Something for those of us stuck at work who want to look up unit strengths while we plan our (sleepless) time off after work... well, that would be most considerate of them.

ainwood said:
Shakes said:
But the manual is in PDF format. If some people have it in PDF format having bought the game, it stands to reason some people who've copied the game will have copies with it in PDF format.
And by exactly the same reasoning, there can be no legitimate reason to want it.
The argument from AsnoT is quite valid.
AsnoT said:
since the german version of the manual is unusable, they should have a good long think before refusing.

translating alphabetical lists without re-sorting them is beyond stupid. :eek:
In Dutch it's even worse as they translated the manual and Tech tree into Dutch, but not the game. So you cannot match the concepts described in the manual with the game as it uses different terms. Not to mention the fact that there are quite a few foreign nationals (expats, imports) in a country that simply cannot read the local language. A friend of mine works in Paris and is stuck with a French manual.

ainwood said:
And by exactly the same reasoning, there can be no legitimate reason to want it.

I'm not saying there was, I'm just saying I don't see how they think they're preventing piracy.

ainwood said:

There's a very legitimate reason to want it... I'd love a copy, for this very reason (And i own the game but can't find the PDF in my data directories...)

the PDF can be searched

for a 224 page manual, having no Index makes it sometimes hard to find the precise info you're after....

just my 2gpt...

Top Bottom