Conquest loss every time on city loss?

UserName2

Chieftain
This is driving me frigging crazy.

I hadn't played Civ 3 in a while, and had actually uninstalled it. I came back to it this week, and started playing. Unfortunately for me every single time I lose a city, any city, I lose the game. I get the conquest victory screen, and congratulations, you lose.

What the hell is going on? I've tried every thing I could think of, and nothing has helped. I can't do anything, because the second I give up any city, I lose. I even tried trading a city to someone else so it wouldn't be conquered, and that still caused me to lose.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi UserName2, welcome to CFC! :beer:
You probably have 'elimination' mode on - whenever you use X number of cities (usually X = 1, as in your case), you lose the game. This mode was intended for multiplayer and doesn't work well in singleplayer. You can turn it off for new games on the Player Selection Screen by turning off the "Elimination" victory condition where it has the others (Conquest, Domination, etc.).

Thank you. This was driving me nuts. I thought I'd tried changing all the settings, but I guess not. I figured elimination meant, you know, elimination.

Just a heads up: when you load a scenario or mod with custom victory conditions, when you go to play a random game, you'll have those same custom victory conditions - you'll have to place them back at the normal ones you play with (or hit "Default").

Top Bottom