The Kuriotates

Being so young himself you think their fearless leader would have an easier time getting younger upstart warriors thus less hammers for the warrior to be produced and the experience for said warrior would start earlier so but the problem with this idea is that it wouldn't be very practical because it could just as easily apply to any unit therefore........maybe their charismatic leader should have an off chance to win anyione over to their side.....even when not having the Dragon Cult thus the Sheaim would have double trouble if He gets the cult first considering they already have other benefits like more civs and getting a dragon easier.....ect........just thinking aloud..........oh, the walls idea Is nice and it fits with the mega expansion this civ has Guargantuan Walls with Arrow Towers.......yeah.....that would be cool......maybe half cost for castles.........or something special..........more time on less cities merits some special defense I would think.

Didn't post this in the 0.14 bugs thread because I'm not sure of the details.

IIRC, I read somewhere that on Duel maps the maximum number of cities is 2. So after that, whatever a settler founds is a settlement, right? Well, I currently have 3 cities, and I can tell that the third one is a city because it has lots of available buildings.

Bug? Or is it just my imagination playing tricks on me with that "2 cities/duel" thing?

evanb said:
Didn't post this in the 0.14 bugs thread because I'm not sure of the details.

IIRC, I read somewhere that on Duel maps the maximum number of cities is 2. So after that, whatever a settler founds is a settlement, right? Well, I currently have 3 cities, and I can tell that the third one is a city because it has lots of available buildings.

Bug? Or is it just my imagination playing tricks on me with that "2 cities/duel" thing?

Your right, its because I checked on the worldsize of "Dual" instead of "Duel". I will fix it.

Ok. Another question: is the Catacomb Libralus (and similar wonders) supposed to affect settlements?

evanb said:
Ok. Another question: is the Catacomb Libralus (and similar wonders) supposed to affect settlements?

Yeah. Ideally they wouldn't and we could code a change so they don't, but it doesnt seem worth a code change.

Yet another question :) What's up with the Kuriotates and the Cult of the Dragon? Why them and the Sheaim only?

evanb said:
Yet another question :) What's up with the Kuriotates and the Cult of the Dragon? Why them and the Sheaim only?

The fact that they both have Dragons heroes is why they can found the Cult. The Sheaim have Abashi because they did in the D&D campaign. I dont know that there is a better reason than that.

In the game Tebryn was a runecaster. Bascially a normal D&D magicuser who was only limited to touch spells, but those spells had a greater effect (including circles he could draw that would summon creatures). His version of the lichdom spell didnt use a phalactery to store his soul, but a rune. To be able to kill him the rune had to be destroyed. Tebryn inscribed the rune on Abashi's forehead (much to the dissapoint of the party).

As for the Kuriotates, check out Cardiths pedia entry for a clue as to their association with Erabatres.

As for the Kuriotates, check out Cardiths pedia entry for a clue as to their association with Erabatres.

I did, thanks. It's intriguing... now even his picture makes more sense!

Kael said:
The fact that they both have Dragons heroes is why they can found the Cult. The Sheaim have Abashi because they did in the D&D campaign. I dont know that there is a better reason than that.

In the game Tebryn was a runecaster. Bascially a normal D&D magicuser who was only limited to touch spells, but those spells had a greater effect (including circles he could draw that would summon creatures). His version of the lichdom spell didnt use a phalactery to store his soul, but a rune. To be able to kill him the rune had to be destroyed. Tebryn inscribed the rune on Abashi's forehead (much to the dissapoint of the party).

Ah, a man after my own heart. There is nothing quite like the sound (or lack there of) of players hearts droping into their stomachs when they reach the full effect of a paradigm shift. "What do you mean its on the dragons forehead?"
Wait for it.........wait for it..........
"Ah crap..."
I love the smell of player anguish in the morning. Well Done Kael.
-QES

P.S. It is also important to reward players....else the fun of suffering is drained by apathy and fatalism. "What the GM giveth, the GM will taketh away and embarasses you in-process."

In this thread there have been a number of suggestions about the nature of the creation sphere, and its manifestation in the Kuriotates. Some have suggested that they should get a strong infrastructure, and that got me thinking about the Kuriotates as an FFH analogue of the vanilla India; a peaceful civ with access to a 'super worker'. Then it struck me: Beating ones swords into plowshares sounds exactly like something the Kuriotates would be prone to do. They could sacrifice units to produce workers, and depending on the level of the sacrificed unit, these new workers could have some special abilities.

Psychorg said:
In this thread there have been a number of suggestions about the nature of the creation sphere, and its manifestation in the Kuriotates. Some have suggested that they should get a strong infrastructure, and that got me thinking about the Kuriotates as an FFH analogue of the vanilla India; a peaceful civ with access to a 'super worker'. Then it struck me: Beating ones swords into plowshares sounds exactly like something the Kuriotates would be prone to do. They could sacrifice units to produce workers, and depending on the level of the sacrificed unit, these new workers could have some special abilities.
Wow....that is a neat idea!.....I'm geeking out about it....neat. I mean that literally too. Neat because the civ that does that rarely has anyone just sitting around and it would be cool if they get attacked as a worker after the change they turned back into the previous unit with a temperary penalty until a certain amount of gold is paid in a city to rearm them and maybe they wouldn't be able to gain XP until they did so........but your idea is great on it's own

What would the advanced workers do special? Extra movement, or faster working, or retaining spellcasting perhaps. If you give them super improvements it makes them too powerful, though, since the Kuri's can work so many tiles. Maybe if it was a Creation 3 spell, maybe.

Nikis-Knight said:
What would the advanced workers do special? Extra movement, or faster working, or retaining spellcasting perhaps. If you give them super improvements it makes them too powerful, though, since the Kuri's can work so many tiles. Maybe if it was a Creation 3 spell, maybe.

Wouldnt it be simpler to have Most of the military units also have worker functions? They could be more expensive, but then most of the units they build would then be running around constructing stuff, only to go to war when bad guys show up. - I do worry about how then the AI would use them :(. Maybe switching them back and forth would be better.

-Qes

I like the concept on the kuriotates, but the static limiting of cities seems a bit harsh. what if city hubs were set on a kind of scale to settlements, like the way cathedral are treated in vanilla, and settlement did indeed have some upkeep cost, maybe only for distance from palace. city hubs would also have to be built, not automatic, so one would require say 7 settlement for an option to built a hub, and hubs could not be hurried. this way only a well suited settlement would even have a possibility of becoming a city. so as the empire expanded through a sprawl of settlements (wich should at least be able to build warriors, or perhaps a low level combat UU militia type unit) there would be a settlement or two working twards becoming a city. if everything was balanced right this could require good planning and forethought by the player, as you would want a posible city settlement to be farther away from others to fully benefit from the 3rd ring, and you would have to hold on to enough settlements to keep building the city hub.

this way the empire can truely expand (as long as there's enough funds to pay the rent) and every hundred or so years (assuming constant growth and expansion in some fashion or another) a new city would 'grow up' and start contributing to further expansion of the empire.

maybe cult of the drag can get a few units or something, too, like a whelp caller and/or wyrmm rider. somethin.

Thonnas said:
I like the concept on the kuriotates, but the static limiting of cities seems a bit harsh. what if city hubs were set on a kind of scale to settlements, like the way cathedral are treated in vanilla, and settlement did indeed have some upkeep cost, maybe only for distance from palace. city hubs would also have to be built, not automatic, so one would require say 7 settlement for an option to built a hub, and hubs could not be hurried. this way only a well suited settlement would even have a possibility of becoming a city. so as the empire expanded through a sprawl of settlements (wich should at least be able to build warriors, or perhaps a low level combat UU militia type unit) there would be a settlement or two working twards becoming a city. if everything was balanced right this could require good planning and forethought by the player, as you would want a posible city settlement to be farther away from others to fully benefit from the 3rd ring, and you would have to hold on to enough settlements to keep building the city hub.

this way the empire can truely expand (as long as there's enough funds to pay the rent) and every hundred or so years (assuming constant growth and expansion in some fashion or another) a new city would 'grow up' and start contributing to further expansion of the empire.

maybe cult of the drag can get a few units or something, too, like a whelp caller and/or wyrmm rider. somethin.

Or a dragon rider called the "Whipper/Snapper"
Sorry, couldnt help it.
-Qes

QES said:
Ah, a man after my own heart. There is nothing quite like the sound (or lack there of) of players hearts droping into their stomachs when they reach the full effect of a paradigm shift. "What do you mean its on the dragons forehead?"
Wait for it.........wait for it..........
"Ah crap..."
I love the smell of player anguish in the morning. Well Done Kael.
-QES

Please explain that

Also is there any plan to allow settlements to be built before cities?

Tortanick said:
Please explain that

Really? Well Ok.

I have been a "GM" in my past, as clearly Kael has been. Kael was describing a moment in his experience in which he posed a problem to his players. His players were on a quest to destroy a Lich. These are very hard to destroy, and Kael was cleaver, in that the Lich's Phylactery(sp?) or (soul-wallet) wasnt a normal vessel. It was a Rune. Runes are magical symbols inscribed on surfaces, the writing itself is the magic, and is useful for multiple purposes. In this case the rune was a phylactory. Now, up until this point, the players learning this information are confident. They feel they can find the phylactery and destroy it, thereby preventing the lich from coming back from the dead when they destroy him. This would complete their quest, and make them all very happy. It is at this point they discover that the rune is inscribed upon a very large and mean forehead of a very large and mean dragon. In gaming terms, this is an "ah crap" moment. Becuase its going to be hard (for some enough to cry aloud and shamelessly). Players can lose their characters, characters can DIE. And there is a very real and tender relationship (for most) between a player and his character, therefore, while they are usually high adventuers, they dont like unncessesary risk to their characters. WHen you tell your players that they are going to have to destroy the forehead of a dragon....and they know dragons are mean and powerful, they are going to be worried.

This is what i meant by the paradigm shift. A paradigm shift is when everything you assumed about a situation simultaniously turns out to be quite the opposite, and is usually a terrifying experience. LIke if your at a dance party, haveing a great time with some friends you just met. They're bying you drinks, a cute girl or guy is flirting with you, and everyone just seems great. Then the ceeling sprinklers turn on, and you see their pooring out blood, and suddenly realize EVERYONE except you at the party is a vampire. That is a paradigm shift.

The "sinking" feeling this creates is often much-sought after by more ruthless, (or 'playful' in my book) and sadistic GM's. I personally love it, which is why i sent that post. This is not to say im going to kill my players for fun, on the contrary, they usually thwart whatever evil plans i throw in their direction, and their deaths are often not because i will them. But that moment of "ah crap..." with the sinking feeling i know their feeling, is what we call a "cinimatic" moment. And i love those.

My players joke that im cruel...but ive never had any of them say I wasnt fun.
-Qes

Thank you, as for my other question, I'm finding it really hard to play when I can't build settlements before cities, is there any plan give players a way of building settlements first?

Tortanick said:
Thank you, as for my other question, I'm finding it really hard to play when I can't build settlements before cities, is there any plan give players a way of building settlements first?

No plans really. I suppose we could give Kuriotate settlers a button for "build a settlement". Let me think about it.

Top Bottom