Charlemagne Scenario Question

Just won as Lombardy--I needed 150 papal favor points to win on Prince (jumped from 149 to 152), although I randomly got another 10 at the end for a grand total of 162. Justinian beat up on me at the beginning, and then started vassalizing the eastern side of the map. Eleanor, after I was invading her, ran to Justinian as a vassal to escape doom, but I had enough cities to build Christian Temples/Monasteries/Cathedrals in to win by that point.

The key is to use those crossbows in your stacks--it is one of the best units in the game (heavies have 10 Str, 1 First Strike, +50% vs. melee). And, being that I led in papal favor all game, I had something like 15 Papal Pikemen by the end, which are awesome units (8 Str, +25% city defense, +35% vs. melee, +100% vs. mounted). Good diplomacy always helps...I got something like 20 favor points just by staying at war with the Muslims the entire time and using my caravels to pick off their ships. Not a real big investment for that much favor and free papal pikemen. :)

ya you can stay at war with the heathens the whole war and not actually have to fight him at all except the random ship in the Mediterranean.

One minor question that keeps bothering me, though...

Where are the "Greedy Ottomans"(according to the manual) ?

Anyone seen them? were they cut out at some point? Did someone mistake Saladin/Arabs/North Africa for the Ottomans?

Probably--I never saw the Ottoman Empire in my game. Unless, towards the end, they show up in the East and attack Constantinople. That would be pretty sweet, although Constantinople is never in the right place on this map.

I finally won this one, and it's about 160 to 166 papal points.
Charlemagne is pretty much the easiest civ to win though. Try Gundobad :crazyeye:

How many points are needed from papal favor to get the victory? I am charlemagne and at about 100 and dominating everybody else there and I wanna know how close to victory I am.

My own opinion on this scenario is to beeline Engineering (castles), then Guilds (crossbows), then Courtly manners. And never trade a tech except in the very beginning.

Gundobad should not be so hard so long as you utilize the advanced start correctly.

It's a pain when all the pagan players start converting. I was at war with Saxons, and was beating them, then they converted, and I started losing papal favour. I think christiantity should have a really slow spread rate, to keep this from happening, and encourage players to build missionaries. BTW do you get favour for converting pagans to chrishtianity.

Knights were largely unnecessary to win the game. I don't think I ever finished the Tech tree.

I played as the Cha/Exp Lombards, I think his name was Albion, although I might be wrong. I don't get why Charlemagne is easier...I thought it was nice that the Pope had my back (literally), and he wouldn't declare war on me. So that's one approach I didn't need to guard too much. I had only a Northern and a Western front for awhile, and for a brief conflict with Justinian an Eastern front.

I found Alboin and Charlie easy because they have good expansion traits, and have plenty of empty room to quick settle. With Imp, Charlie can easily blow the AI away in favor and points just by settling empty lands quickly and spreading missionaries simultaneously.

Gundobad is tough, being surrounded. Though I tend to play more passively against the neighbors. I don't start wars, just finish them. Eleanor has a lot of potential with AGG, FIN. For some reason though the AI dogpiled on me, including Justin and all the Saxons and Bavarians. All I did to them was deny open borders so I could settle Spain at my leisure. That made me realize the importance of beelining Castles to the front line cities.

I found that knights clinch the game very quickly. Charlie with a wolf pack of knights quickly took down the bavarians and saxons, so quick I wanted to attack Saladin, but I got crowned. Heavy Crossbow is pretty much the key until the knights, but I found them pretty slow for taking cities.

I just finished playing the Scenario for the first time and I'v gotta say, next to Rhye's and Fall it's my favorite of BTS. I played as Gundobad and being surrounded made the game even easier, since I was able to take out two of four papal favour opponents within the first 15 turns.

I had to take out the first one, simply because he was too close and then took out Paris because it got the first Relic and I wanted to keep getting the somewhat overly powerful papal units (for early rush anyway). From there on it was just too easy. Going with the "declare war against Saladin" strategy is a pretty good idea, because the only thing that happened during that "war" was one of his caravells destroying one of my fisherboats. Taking out Charlemagne was pretty easy too (beacause I had like 8 straight turns in which I got the papal units). I actually wanted to see if wiping out the papal favor opponents causes automatic win, but couldn't declare war against the Lombardy dude, becuase he chose to become Justinian's vassal. So I went along with wiping out the Saxons and the Bavarians for an easy papal favor win. One thing that bothered me, was the uselessness of the "special" units for this scenario. I didn't build a single one.

Anyway it was loads of fun, even though I'd really love to be able to play as the Pope or at least be able to declare war against him (which wasn't all that uncommon in the middle ages, so I wonder why taking out Rome and crowning yourself pope isn't a victory option).

I just finished playing the Scenario for the first time and I'v gotta say, next to Rhye's and Fall it's my favorite of BTS. I played as Gundobad and being surrounded made the game even easier, since I was able to take out two of four papal favour opponents within the first 15 turns.

I had to take out the first one, simply because he was too close and then took out Paris because it got the first Relic and I wanted to keep getting the somewhat overly powerful papal units (for early rush anyway). From there on it was just too easy. Going with the "declare war against Saladin" strategy is a pretty good idea, because the only thing that happened during that "war" was one of his caravells destroying one of my fisherboats. Taking out Charlemagne was pretty easy too (beacause I had like 8 straight turns in which I got the papal units). I actually wanted to see if wiping out the papal favor opponents causes automatic win, but couldn't declare war against the Lombardy dude, becuase he chose to become Justinian's vassal. So I went along with wiping out the Saxons and the Bavarians for an easy papal favor win. One thing that bothered me, was the uselessness of the "special" units for this scenario. I didn't build a single one.

Anyway it was loads of fun, even though I'd really love to be able to play as the Pope or at least be able to declare war against him (which wasn't all that uncommon in the middle ages, so I wonder why taking out Rome and crowning yourself pope isn't a victory option).

Saladin will ask you to if you have a good enough relationship.

It took me 168 Papal favors to win the game. I think it lingered at 168 for a while before I won.

Declaring war on Saladin is probably the best way to gain Papal points, since Saladin doesn't try to mount an attack on you.

I took over one of his cities, but end up having to just defend it because he sends wave after wave of catapults and camel archers at me. I don't think that I was doing anything to increase my Papal favor, but after a while he named me Emperor.

Probably--I never saw the Ottoman Empire in my game. Unless, towards the end, they show up in the East and attack Constantinople. That would be pretty sweet, although Constantinople is never in the right place on this map.

You'd probably need a 700-year scenario for that to take place, though other spots on the map were controlled by the Ottoman Turks well before 1453.

Having Varyagi, Bulgars, and/or Prussians on the map would be nice, but a cool scenario in any event.

Playing as Charlie on Emperor, I used the startup to build 4 cities (controversial!) and no military - just granaries and 3/4 workers. I was able to build baracks and libraries before I needed to build archers.

Just a tip to save people wasting money or turns on early military. :)

You can declare war on the Pope in this scenario. In my game it immediately reduced my favor by 30 points.

I played with Eleanor, expanded into Spain at the beginning. Then took out Chilperic and Gundobad. I tried to invade Arabia, but before I could do that the Angl-saxons converted to Islam and declared on me so I invaded Britain instead. The naval invasion was a bit tough, lost many galleys and units in them. After conquering London I won the favor victory.

I played on after victory, converted to Islam, made peace with Saladin (got him pleased) and declared war on the pope. Because my favor was pretty high at that time (had around 140 after declaring war) I received Papal pikemen twice while at war with the Pope. Declaring war on him and destroying his cities doesn't have too much of an impact on favor. Funnily enough, when I conquered Rome my favor actually rose by 2 points.

Top Bottom