My take on Civ 3's problems...it's a strategy game that lacks strategy

Flavor Dave

Warlord
My complaint is one I haven’t seen made here before, so it may be a new way of looking at Civ 3’s weaknesses. And please forgive me for plowing over this worn-out soil, but I think I have a new crop here. And, with all due modesty, I think this is as devastating a criticism as can be made of Civ 3. There’s a reason chess is a better game than checkers, and checkers a better game than tic-tac-toe.

I can defend this, but first I have to define “strategy.” If you think strategy is the act of making decisions, then you’re not going to agree with me. But if you think strategy is when you have to choose between 2 or more non-obvious choices, when you make decisions that will send your game in one direction or another, then Civ 3 lacks strategy.

First, allow me an analogy. In baseball, the American League uses the designated hitter, and the National League does not. (For you non-baseball fans here, in baseball, pitching is a very specialized skill, and most pitchers are very poor hitters. It’s much like how soccer goalkeepers are poor dribblers and passers. The "designated hitter" is a player whose sole job is to hit in the pitcher's place.) One of the complaints baseball purists have about the designated hitter is that it reduces “strategy.”

And, in fact, there is much more bunting in the National League. (Bunting is when a manager instructs a batter to make an out, but to do it in such a way as to advance a teammate on the bases.) So if you think strategy is defined as a manager calling a play, then the designated hitter does reduce strategy. And the same is true for pinch-hitters…there are more in the National League than the American League.

But for both bunting and pinch-hitting, the spread between teams that do it a lot and those that do it little is MUCH larger in the American League. That tells you that the strategic decisions are less cut and dried in the American League. That tells you that many of the “decisions” that a National League manager makes to use a pinch-hitter, or to bunt, aren’t really decisions at all, but obvious choices.

And that’s the problem with Civ 3. Let’s take the special tiles (wheat, gold, whales, etc.) In Civ 2, they were laid out in a pattern, so that you could plant a city in a “sweet spot” and have 4 special resources. In Civ 3, it’s random. On the one hand, I understand the change. Human players could use their understanding of the pattern to their advantege. But the Civ 3 method takes away a decision. In Civ 3, you find a decent spot, and start your first city. And your 2nd. Lather, rinse, repeat. In Civ 2, you had to decide how long you wanted to muck about looking for a good spot. And that decision was tied up in the strategic decision of whether or not to build the Super Science City (Colossus, Copernicus, Newton). It impacted your decision on whether to try to build a small civ, a medium civ, or a large civ. If you were able/decided to put most of your cities in the sweet spot, then you’re going to play perfectionist. In Civ 2, if you plopped down in the first decent spot, you were going for the large civ. The “improvement” in Civ 3 makes the game less strategic.

Or take special resources, like iron. In one recent game, I had a very good game. I was the Greeks, and I found iron early. One thing I’ve learned is that you have to take advantage of your UU in Civ 3, and your Golden Age. So I started building swordsmen and hoplites, and took Rome and a few other Roman cities. England, on the other side of Rome, declared war as well and took some Roman cities.

The key in Civ 3, even more than Civ 2, is to survive the early game. Because of my early discovery of iron, I was able to get more than my normal share of land, and my nearest neighbor, the Romans, were no threat. And my next nearest neighbor, the English, were building units for its war with Rome instead of libraries and temples, so I was able to compete with them wrt culture and science. (As a side note, I can’t figure out why the designers didn’t “ratchet up” the computer civs’ advantages as the game wears on…a slight science bonus early, a higher one in the midgame, a big one later. Instead, they chose to make the early game damn near impossible to survive, but once you get through that, it’s smooth sailing. My ratio of games abandoned to games finished it incredible.)

In my current game, I’m the French, on a big island with the English. Well, more a small continent. But the continent has no horses or iron. The nearby mega-island also has neither. So it’s 700 AD, and my army (and England’s) are ridiculously behind the times. I have to pray that none of the other civs attack me, or I’ll have no chance. And without horses, I haven’t been able to rout the English. (They started the war, I was able to take 3 cities, but that’s it. Aggressive war without horses OR iron, in midgame, isn’t worth it.) So it’s not like I can compete with the AI civs by sheer size.

In my Greece game, I thrived, and eventually won a diplo victory. In my French game, I’m not in a good spot. I’m reduced to hoping the Civs with the special resources don’t attack. My problem is that my good position and bad position have NOTHING to do with my strategy. Going to war with swordsmen and hoplites early in the game is a no-brainer, once I was LUCKY enough to find iron. And there’s nothing I could do differently in my current game. I couldn’t waste shields on the Lighthouse with the English attacking me. (Plus I have a huge problem with Wonders, which I’ll get to in a minute.) The resources in Civ 3 are a great idea, but have been counterproductive. The purpose was to introduce strategy into trading, war, and expansion, but the effect is the opposite. I have ideas as to how they could have made this innovation work, but that’s for another thread.

Unique units…sort of a good idea, but they do make it pretty obvious when each civ should be aggressive. The combination of the U.U.s and the Golden Age they trigger clearly takes away a strategic decision. If it weren’t for all of the other factors that take away your options, the benefits would outweigh the problems. But as the game is, it’s just another factor that takes away strategy.

OK, about Wonders and Wonder rushing. Getting rid of Wonder rushing was a great idea. It was too big of an edge for the human player. But the shield wastage in Civ 3 ruins many games. How often have you tried to build a wonder, been 3 or 5 turns away, and been told that someone else just completed it? OK, that’s not so bad, but then the other 2 WoWs you can build, get completed by two other civs. And now you switch to a marketplace, and waste 180 shields. If you’re like me, you normally start over at that point. I’m sorry, but there’s way, WAY too much luck involved. This is supposed to be a strategy game, but the huge, huge punishment for barely losing out on a wonder makes the decision to build one not a calculated, STRATEGIC decision, but a blind guess. Again, there are solutions to this, but that’s for another thread. Suffice it to say that, again, the decision to get rid of the various ways to hurry a wonder was meant to add strategy, but, instead, has added luck. And the huge, ruinous effect it has on an 8 city civ, early in the game, to waste 150-200 shields tells me that the game wasn’t playtested properly.

And the cost of units…in Civ 2, late in the game, you had spies at 30 shields, alpines and mechs at 50, howitzers at 70, and tanks at 80. If you were like me, you set certain cities to build certain items and reduce shield wastage, but were careful to have a good mix. With the higher shield costs, and lower (relative) variation in the costs of the different units, there’s fewer choices to be made. In Civ 2, you had to decide the proper mix of units for your army, and balance that out with the need to reduce shield wastage from unnecessary shields. In Civ 3, you just crank out that proper mix, because shield overage isn’t an issue. Again, a change in the game has taken away strategic decisions.

And food caravans…I can’t for the life of me figure out why this was taken out. As I got better at Civ 2, I started to realize that these were nice little things to have. In Civ 3, without them, you have fewer options for how to develop your cities. In general, one problem with Civ 3 is that it has taken as many steps backward TOWARD city-states not being cooperative parts of a civ, as it has steps forward. But that’s another thread.

And the juiced up corruption…again, another change that makes sense on one level, but has the impact of taking away strategic decisions. I’m still running the original version because I’ve heard such bad things about the patches, and I’ve been waiting for a patch that gets a good review (plus spent most of my time playing Championship Manager.) Anyway, the aggressiveness of the AI civs, and the tremendous corruption overseas, means that there’s little strategy as to the ideal civ size. Past a certain point, new cities are just targets for the AI to take. And under a certain point, the other civs see you as a weakling. I really miss that you can’t thrive with a 6 city civ. I used to love those quick Civ 2 games. But I also miss that it’s not a viable option to try to build city after city after city. It was good that the AI civs are more aggressive about expanding. But it’s not really a good option to attack them and take their cities, past a certain point, as the corruption is debilitating. Again, there’s no doubt the game wasn’t properly playtested. Actually, with regard to this one item, I doubt it was playtested at all, or the playtesters weren’t listened to.

Finally, diseases in flood plains. What a dumbass, unplaytested idea. I play monarch, and it’s soooo damn hard to get on your feet early in the game. If you have a city cranking out an early settler, and you have a nearby neighbor, and you’re desperate to get enough space to at least have a halfdozen cities without having to go to war, it’s crippling when you can’t build that 2nd settler on time because disease reduces your city down to size one, and so you have to wait to get up to size three before the city can finish the settler. I understand that this may be “realistic,” but realism has been made a fetish here. Anyone who has ever had this happen, what do you do? You start a new game. You’ve only invested a few minutes at that point, so what the hell. Someone trying to make a game where strategy matters more than luck would have taken out this “feature.” There’s too much luck when you end up 10 turns late on your 3rd city.

THE SUMMARY:

1. Randomizing the special food and shield and trade resource placement has taken away the decision of whether to concentrate on getting in the sweet spot, and reduced the importance of the decision as to being perfectonist, and the decision whether to build the Super Science City.
2. The way in which special resources are implemented has actually taken away decisions. If you have the resource, you use it If you don’t, you acquire it. If you can’t acquire it, you re-start. (This is more of an early game problem, but then, the huge problem with Civ 3 is that the early game is too hard and/or the late game is too easy, depending on your level. This was a problem in Civ 2, but in Civ 3, it’s ridiculous.)
3. Unique Units, combined with Golden Ages, have made decisions about when to go to war and when to try to build wonders about as difficult as the decision about whether or not to have your pitcher bunt when there’s a runner on first base and none out.
4. Getting rid of the tricks for rushing WoWs was good, but the inability of a city to make use of wastage when you get beat to a WoW makes the cure worse than the disease. It’s not a calculated risk whether or not to embark on building a wonder, it’s blink luck.
5. The higher cost of units, the less-varying cost of them, and the lack of spies has taken away the difficult decision of balancing your army between all the various kinds of units, and reducing shield waste.
6. The loss of food caravans have taken away a strategic option.
7. The high corruption, along with the high AI aggression toward weak civs (and the juiced-up “cheating” of the civs early in the game) have combined to take away your decision as to how big of a civ you want. The variation between the smallest viable civ and the most aggressive expansion strategy is MUCH MUCH smaller in Civ 3 than Civ 2.
8. Disease in flood plains is a matter of random luck, and can cripple your early game. Pointless change.

For me, the key reason that Civ 3 isn’t as good or as addicting as Civ 2 (despite some excellent, well thought out improvements), is that I don’t have as much control over my civ. It’s a strategy game lacking strategy. There’s too much luck and simple decisions.

um yeah the problem i have with it is the amount of gold the computer gets a turn and their tech advance rate. its very annoying and i put my science to 90% and piling gold into my cities and im still behind by 4 or 5 techs with my science adviser complaining about low science funding and proposing an increase. i wish someone could make a mod for that or firaxis to make the game fair. "matching wits with world leaders" my ass.:mad:

Flavor Dave, man, I don't think I've ever restarted a game (except for ones where I am testing a mod). I thought of those setbacks as challenges. It seems your idea of strategy is "If everything isn't perfect, Restart"

I actually use embassies to check on Wonders before commiting too much time and effort on one. How is this blind random luck? You made a choice not to spend the money to get the current info (a bad strategy in hindsight).

TC, what difficulty are you playing on? On Regent, it is about fair. On Warlord and below, you should have no trouble getting ahead. If you are playing above Regent, be aware that they get techs faster and pay less for stuff.

Two of your criticisms have real merit:

i) the AI advantages (or "cheats") should ratchet up through the ages - esp. on higher levels the AI is overpowering early on but once RR/arty come on line, the games always over (this is also in large part the untoward advantages of RR - see the Railroad Madness thread for discussions on how to change this).

ii) the shield cost of units is out of whack, e.g. battleship should be much more expensive relative to destroyer than it is now. a related problem is that there are simply too many units late game. however, the beauty of civ3 (yes, label me a firaxis fanboy) is that you can significantly address these shortcomings with the editor - i've modded the later units to have higher shield requirements *and* made them cost 1-2 population. it seems to work fairly well at keeping the number of units more manageable. however, the pop. req is not as well managed by the ai (bcs it doesn't build hospitals as quickly as a human player).

The rest of your criticisms do boil down to "if i can't manage it, restart". Every time you build a wonder, you should F7 and be spending the money to investigate everyone else doing the same. There have been times where I initiated a war in the desperate attempt to generate a GL just to rush sistine chapel. If there was no loss of shields, there would be no penalty for trying to build a wonder. I think the loss of shields is *precisely* what makes wonder building a strategic choice. My only suggestions would be that: (i) you can't stockpile shields in a palace and then switch - you should always begin a wonder with zeros shields; and (ii) when building a wonder, the shields are specific to *that* wonder - i.e. you can't switch the shields to a different wonder, or if you switch you incur a 50% penalty (this would prevent the cascading wonder problem).

Strategic resources definitely *add* significant strategic depth. My only suggestion would be to make them cluster more, like luxuries, thus forcing more horsetrading.

Originally posted by warpstorm
It seems your idea of strategy is "If everything isn't perfect, Restart"
No, the problem is that in Civ 2, I could overcome analagous problems through strategic decisions. I'm hemmed in? Be a perfectionist civ. Someone is just about to complete a WoW and I'm going to blow 200 shields? Buy the Wonder.

BTW, I think I specified when I restart...in the first 15 minutes, if I start out in a flood plain and i get disease which sets me back 10 turns (which, at that point of the game, is decisive) or if I just miss a WoW early in the game and lose out on hundreds of shields.

Also, it's too common for me to lose out on a wonder from a Civ that I don't know about. That's a problem. Civ 2 had Marco Polo's embassy, which was a strategic option to overcome isolation.

Maybe there's things I need to learn about Civ 3, and you guys can guide me. Look at my list of strategic options lost/random luck added, and tell me how you deal with each?

And the answer of "suck it up and move on" is no answer. Remember, my complaint is NOT "the game is too hard." My complaint is, "I don't much control on how my civ develops."

Actually, looking back at my post, it's clear you two have completely misread it. I don't like the straitjacket of the UUs and Golden Age, for example.

One clear point is that you have to make the decision on when to attack, where and how. I, for one, think these are pretty major strategic decisions. Do you attack with a tech advantage? A mobility advantage? A superior numbers advantage? Do you attack the cities or the units? Do you bombard first, which wastes time and lets the AI produce more units, but increases your chances of successfully taking a city? Do you strike inland at the AIs resources? Do you pillage the roads to slow the enemies reinforcements, but recognise that you won't have these roads available for you either? Do you attack the units in the open, or let them attack you on a hill? Do you split that AI defense by attacking at multiple points, or with the aid of a MPP / Alliance? Do you attack at all?

Sorry, I must disagree. There is a lot of strategy here, and in the rest of the game to. :)

P.S. - did you play the recent Deity GOTM? From a very bad starting position, it was pure strategy to try and pull it around. Some attacked the Russians early and got themselves into the game. Others played the peaceful builder path, fell well behind in Tech and used diplomacy (and artillary ;) ) to force a win.

Originally posted by Flavor Dave

BTW, I think I specified when I restart...in the first 15 minutes, if I start out in a flood plain and i get disease which sets me back 10 turns (which, at that point of the game, is decisive)

That is rarely correct. Post the game. I'm sure that many people will find a "strategy" to recover the position. Remember, if you have a flood plain, you already have a substantial advantage.

More generally, take a look at the Game of the Month right here on Civfanatics, especially the GOTM forum. http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3gotm/

Note how many possible strategies are possible with the same position. It really is quite impressive.

1. This can easily be remedied by editing the map accordingly to create a “sweet spot.
2. Special resources can be tricky, and at times you could be at a disadvantage. Look at history though, not all empires, nations were built on strategy alone, some luck has to be in there. Japan didn’t have certain raw materials thus it sought to conquer other areas to secure them.
3. Personally I find the golden age not long enough and the UU not impacting enough.
4. No comment
5. Unit costs can be edited to get the result you’re seeking.
6. I agree, caravans were a nice feature of Civ2, would have been great to have it included in Civ3.
7. Some people are ok with corruption others are not. I like that it makes it difficult to expand but sometimes the level of corruption seems disproportionate. They should of based it on more than the number of cities you have, maybe instead use a different gauge.
8. Yeah I hate that damn disease crap… BUT flood plains are so rich, so it’s a balance you know… you get fertile land but with the risk of disease...

I think with the new editor and PTW, the game will finally come into its own. The more power given to the player to edit the game to his liking the more he or she will enjoy it.

One thing about your first post that I disagree with is your claim that pitchers are terrible hitters because pitching is such a speciality. I would say that they are decent hitters. They can hit major league pitchers. They aren't as good as everyday players because they don't practice as much and don't get as many plate appearances. I'm guessing here, but I bet that pitchers are about as good as pinch hitters, which in effect they are. I've been to some interleague games this year and saw that the American League Pitchers were a lot worse at batting than National League pitchers. It's not like NL teams draft better hitters, the difference is probably more to do with the experience of hitting.

I have to admit that I didn't read your whole post. I stopped when you said that random resource and bonus tile placement was anathema to strategy. Have you ever played backgammon and had your opponent role 3-1 and then double sixes? Yeah it blows, especially if he doubles you on the next move (I'd take it). So far in that game there hasn't been much strategy, only bad luck. Are coin flips strategic? You have to choose between two unknown results...

Strategy is the skill of managing or planning, especially in relation to war. I think you should strategize bad starts and wonder building.

BTW, I've never had Wonder problems. Use Ctrl-P for Wonder Popups and Embassies for spying.

Your first post is replete with very well-articulated, dispassionate, reasoned arguments! But I don't think I agree with most of your points ;).

I believe I understand your working definition of "strategy" and I also understand why you may therefore find Civ 3 a poor strategy game. I have heard very similar arguments from exceptional Civ 3 players who prefer SMAC over Civ 3 -- arguments to the effect that in SMAC there are several independent paths through a game, and one's choices early often close off later available paths (whereas some will complain that Civ 3 presents nearly the exact same path each game, and that therefore luck is a bigger factor than strategy). [BTW, I have never played Civ 2 or SMAC].

I'm at work, and can't respond to each of your points. But, since I spent some time yesterday debating the "Civ 3 is Luck versus Strategy / Tactics" view that I think the bulk of your post revolves around, I'll suggest what I suggested to another poster yesterday. Take a look at how an exceptional Civ 3 player uses solid play strategy and play tactics to turn what I consider to be a near hopeless start into a win. And on Diety. I won't provide a direct link because it's at another Civ forum site, but when you've gotten your fill here at CivFanatics for the day, visit Apolyton's strategy forum and read Aeson's thread "So very cold (of the map generator. . .)" Replete with detailed commentary and screenshots, I feel it is an eloquent response to the "Luck vs. Strategy" agrument.

Just one quick point re: luck versus strategy:

I don't like the straitjacket of the UUs and Golden Age, for example.

[. . . ]

Unique Units, combined with Golden Ages, have made decisions about when to go to war and when to try to build wonders about as difficult as the decision about whether or not to have your pitcher bunt when there’s a runner on first base and none out.

I happen to think you're missing an important strategic decision. I tend to be very careful about when I time my Golden Age. There is no unwritten rule that you need to fight with your UU when it first becomes available and trigger your golden age early; and if you play as if such a rule exists, you (and only you!) have taken a strategic choice out of your hands.

I may often choose to use my UU regardless of GA considerations (when playing the Aztecs, say, or perhaps the Persians), and I fully understand the pro and con arguments to an unltra-early GA. But I just as frequently choose to time my Golden Age for a period of development that I think may provide me more relative gain against my AI neighbors. As just one example, if I happen to be playing Egypt, I will often build 4 or maybe 5 war chariots and then sock them away on guard duty in an internal city, even while fighting ancient age wars -- I don't necessarily want to fire my GA in despotism, and a victory with a WC would do so. I can later bring out a WC from guard duty to take down a wounded longbowman, swordsman or even a knight in a Middle Ages war, and thereby trigger my GA with a more developed empire operating without the tile penalty of despotism and operating with the commerce bonus of a republic.

The GA-timing strategy is an easier decision with the Egyptian UU, as it doesn't strike me as a particularly strong UU. But I've done the same thing with Persian immortals -- deliberately avoiding a GA-inducing immortal attack for many turns just to better position my empire to reap the benefits of a GA -- that decision becomes a bit more strategic when Roman Legionaries are marching on your cities and you deliberately hold back your immortals for 10+ turns so as to switch to a Monarchy / Republic before firing the GA!

Originally posted by ainwood
One clear point is that you have to make the decision on when to attack, where and how. I, for one, think these are pretty major strategic decisions. Do you attack etc. etc. etc.
Those are tactical decisions, not strategic ones.

In the context of Civ 3, going to war is a strategic decision. Even deciding whether all you want to do is disrupt the enemy and maybe take one of its cities that is in a salient is a strategic decision. Deciding on bombardment vs. mobile units is a tactical decision dictated by the strategic decision.

Originally posted by Zachriel
regarding my complaint about flood plain diseaseThat is rarely correct.
That's true. It happened to me once when I was prevented from building my 3rd city, and once with my 4th. It's rare. But why is it in the game?

This was a minor complaint of mine, btw. It's just another example where luck is in the game unnecessarily.

Think back to Civ 2, when you were playing below deity level. Remember what a bonus it was to get an early settler out of a goody hut? It was a tremendous help. It boosted your civ 50%.

This is the opposite; it diminishes my civ 50% (well, maybe 40%, since the city doesn't have to start over.)

Is it in the game to keep flood plains from being too much of an advantage? In that case, why have flood plains at all? Is it in the game for "realism?" Is there any evidence that people living alone the Nile are more disease prone that Europeans in 1350?

Not that I'm aware of.

I don't think what your talking about is too much involved with strategy. Your talking about production possibilities, and game features. Your mad because the toy doesn't let you have wonders the way you want, or that your shield wastage levels are too high. I consider those as a little too much technical nitpicks rather than a strategy discussion.

If you want to compare Civ3 to chess and make a strategy complaint I believe something analgalous to my complaint on AI Military Strategy will be the answer. Sure you can tweak shield rates, wonder building processes, etc, but those are small changes which won't add a strategic challenge to the game.

My complaint is the predictability of how the AI conducts war, and an obvious lack of military tactics and goals. Along with some more advanced diplomatic routines being installed (instead of the quick fixes that we have seen that have made city/resource trading even more unpredictable).

If the AI was to be changed the challenge of the game, and the fun, would increase dramatically for those players who want to play a strategic game. Changing how wonders are produced on the other hand won't mean diddly squat in the long run in preserving the game's amusement factor.

Course I didn't recieve any replies to my introductory comments on AI Military Strategy so I assume people are more interested in the quick fixes of the game model like Culture Flipping (use the editor, you can turn it off), Insane Settler Usage by AI, Spearmen defending from Panzers once every hundred battles, etc.

I'll respond to each of your summarized points anyway:

1. Stupid complaint. Random terrain adds to the strategy. If you think reducing the game to a formula makes it more strategic than you are a fool. Strategy is in handling the unpredictable as well as the known factors.

2. I don't restart when I can't acquire a resource, I adapt my strategy. It seems almost as if you start the game with a specific idea of how you are gonna play it out to the end. That is foolish. Explore other methods, I've survived well into the industrial age without iron before, and it was one of the funnest (and strategically interesting) games I had ever played.

3. UU and Golden Age obviously have a factor which I would agree is 'limiting' to strategy. My answer though is to make the AI a more cunning adversary, therefore a Golden Age's worth must be measured in terms of its military cost in losses you might endure. Simply trashing UU and Golden Age won't do anything.

4. There is nothing about luck in Wonder building, assume from the start that it is being built by other nations. They ASSUME that you are building it.

5. I balance my armies quite a bit, costs can be tweaked easily if you don't like them. I'd like more variety, but who wouldn't?

6. Its taken away a feature, the game might be improved slightly by the adoption of food caravans, but not revolutionized.

7. & 8. Corruption can be fixed in editor (and is not a 'strategic' problem, adapt your strategy, not the game!!!) Disease adds to the strategy, stay the heck out of flood plains if you can't handle em.

Lesson of the day: Strategy equals handling unpredictability, not whining about it.

Originally posted by teturkhan
1. This can easily be remedied by editing the map accordingly to create a “sweet spot.
How?
2. Special resources can be tricky, and at times you could be at a disadvantage. Look at history though, not all empires, nations were built on strategy alone, some luck has to be in there.
You're right, there's luck in real life. This isn't real life, it's a strategy game. You're sort of making my point, which is that you, as a player, have less control than you did in Civ 2.
[b/]
3. Personally I find the golden age not long enough and the UU not impacting enough.[/b]
Not enough for what? To be decisive on your decision as to when to go to war?

What I mean is this. You're Greece. You have a neighbor who is hemming you in. In Civ 2, without UUs and GAs, you have more options about how to handle this. In Civ 3, you build hoplites and a few barracks, and get your GA, and get to work.

In and of itself, the UU+GA issue is bad but not horrible. What makes it horrible is the other changes that have made "perfectionist" play unviable.
5. Unit costs can be edited to get the result you’re seeking.
I agree with that, but if this game had been properly playtested, they would have fixed the costs so that the player would have to think about balancing wasted shields with a proper balance between spies (well, OK, no spies in this game, but you get the point), defenders, attackers, and artillery. I shouldn't have to edit the game in this way.

A simple thing for them to have done is add to the scientist and taxman, a worker, who adds 2 shields per turn (3 if factory, 4 if factory and power plant.) This was a suggestion from the Civ 2 days that everyone agreed with, and I was quite surprised not to see it in Civ 3.

8. Yeah I hate that damn disease crap… BUT flood plains are so rich, so it’s a balance you know… you get fertile land but with the risk of disease...
The (mini) problem is that early in the game, the effect of going from size 2 (and the food box almost full) to size 1 is too large. And, since the disease is supposed to counter the food bonus, why have flood plains AT ALL?? If this was the reason for the disease, then the designers deliberately added luck to the game.

I don't want to obsess about an issue that is minor except for the rare occasion when it strikes in the first 20-30 turns of the game, but it's as if someone thought chess would be better if pawns randomly died.

Originally posted by alexander dumas
One thing about your first post that I disagree with is your claim that pitchers are terrible hitters because pitching is such a speciality. I would say that they are decent hitters. They can hit major league pitchers. They aren't as good as everyday players because they don't practice as much and don't get as many plate appearances.
Holy digression, Batman. :D :rolleyes: :confused:

1. Pitchers don't hit as well as field players.
2. This means that when pitchers come up to bat with runners on and less than 2 outs, they're gonna bunt or be pinch hit for.
3. The act of telling the guy to bunt, or to pull him for a pinch hitter, is considered "strategy" by some.
4. Since the choices are obvious, tho, these decisions are outside of the definition I'm using here. When a manager in the AL decides to bunt or pinch hit, the choices are less obvious, thus there is more strategy. That's why there's more spread in the number of times AL and NL managers make this choice. Much like in Civ 2, there seemed to be more variation in playing styles.

backgammon analogy
The fact that you're using a backgammon analogy to disagree with me proves my point. If you take a game like backgammon and a game like chess, I'm arguing that Civ 2 was substantially more chess like, and Civ 3 is substantially more backgammon like.

Originally posted by Catt
I happen to think you're missing an important strategic decision. I tend to be very careful about when I time my Golden Age. There is no unwritten rule that you need to fight with your UU when it first becomes available and trigger your golden age early; and if you play as if such a rule exists, you (and only you!) have taken a strategic choice out of your hands.
You're right for some civs in some situations. Not for others. ;)

1. So far, nobody has disagreed with one of my points, that a small, perfectionist civ can't thrive in Civ 3. (My preferred Civ 2 strategy was to build around 7 cities, build the super science city, and wait until I had artillery and/or RRs before clearing my borders. Then build Hoover Dam, build the spaceship, and Bob's your uncle.) So if you're hemmed in, you have to go to war. (Corruption makes expanding overseas a non-starter.) And if you have to go to war, logic dictates that you do it when your UU is in effect, which triggers the GA. If you're hemmed in and you're the Chinese, you're of course going to go to war when you get the Rider.

2. If your UU is defensive, you may not have a choice. If you have hoplites or legionaries, if you get attacked, the GA is launched. Which means that you might as well take advantage of it. I don't think there's a real choice then; the smart strategic decision is to cripple the nation that attacked you while you can. The smart decision is almost never going to be, make peace as quickly as possible.

Sorry to reiterate the point, but the problem isn't the UU+GA in and of itself. It's that PLUS the difficulty of getting by with a 5 city civ PLUS the incredible overseas corruption.

"The fact that you're using a backgammon analogy to disagree with me proves my point. If you take a game like backgammon and a game like chess, I'm arguing that Civ 2 was substantially more chess like, and Civ 3 is substantially more backgammon like"

Exactly why I like Civ3 more than Civ2! In BG there is strategy plus the element of chance. The element of chance is very real and makes games more exciting along with the strategy challenge.

I love BG. And I love the chance element in Civ3.

stwils

Maybe I'll respond in full to your orignal post later tonight after work (sorry to keep begging off in fully engaging in the discussion - but you put enough thought into the original post that I don't want short-change the discussion).

1. So far, nobody has disagreed with one of my points, that a small, perfectionist civ can't thrive in Civ 3. [. . . .] So if you're hemmed in, you have to go to war.

I think it depends on what you mean by small / perfectionist. I and others have certainly won the game with smaller empires (smaller than 4 or 5 of the AI empires in a 8 civ game). I've won via SS, diplomatic and cultural victory while a middle-of-the pack to smallish empire in relation to the AI civs. This is true for me on Monarch - Emperor, not yet Deity.

(Corruption makes expanding overseas a non-starter.)

I don't find this to be true. Optimal placement of an FP and aggressive spending to build up the outlying areas, followed by a palace relocation overseas regularly produces a very efficient empire for me even after blowing way past the OCN.

And if you have to go to war, logic dictates that you do it when your UU is in effect, which triggers the GA. If you're hemmed in and you're the Chinese, you're of course going to go to war when you get the Rider.

Again, I don't think this is true, and if you treat your own "strategy planning" this way you're taking strategy out of the game yourself. It is sometimes hard to resist the 3-move rider, or the balanced A/D of the samurai, but many other game factors may will often contribute to the decision to pursue a different course of action. The relative advantages of a UU are always a factor in a decision to go to war, but should rarely, if ever, be treated as the controlling factor.

If your UU is defensive, you may not have a choice. If you have hoplites or legionaries, if you get attacked, the GA is launched. Which means that you might as well take advantage of it.

I agree that it is sometimes harder to manage a timed GA with the Greeks or the Zulu (less so with the Romans), but the strategy involved with timing the GA with these civs is to effectively avoid war until you're ready - and this requires some different skills and finesse. (Please don't say that this isn't possible as the psychotic AI civs will declare on you no matter what you do -- I and others have played entire games without war (not always very fun!) and I have played Emperor level games with both the Zulu and the Germans as neighbors and avoided war until I decided it was appropriate.)

I don't think there's a real choice then; the smart strategic decision is to cripple the nation that attacked you while you can. The smart decision is almost never going to be, make peace as quickly as possible.

Again, IMHO you're wearing the blinders a bit. There are plenty of situations where you might want to maintain a reasonably strong, viable civ next to you rather than cripple or destroy it. If you've made the decision that in all cases the best strategic decision is to cripple them, then you're taking strategy out of the game, not having it taken from you by the game.

Sorry to reiterate the point, but the problem isn't the UU+GA in and of itself. It's that PLUS the difficulty of getting by with a 5 city civ PLUS the incredible overseas corruption.

You're right; in most cases a 5-city civ will be a very tough win - probably only diplomatic or cultural; I think the SS would be really tough. But, being the 4th or 5th largest (landmass or pop) civ in an 8 civ standard map does not preclude a SS win - I can't put my finger on exactly the ratio of "your cities" to "AI cities" where the SS becomes laregly undoable (except for the very, very best players), but I would certainly have a great deal of trouble with only 5 cities on even a tiny map at anything over Warlord or Regent (maybe Chieftan!).

Playing a smaller, perfectionist empire may not be as straightforward a win as it may have been in Civ 2, but it is doable.

You're right, there's luck in real life. This isn't real life, it's a strategy game.
Strategy (literally, as I recall from Greek classes) means something like army leading. So a 'real' strategy game would focus more on war (or prevention thereof) than Civ III does. But even real war involves luck. The right weather, guessing where the enemy is hiding, etc. There are too many unknowns to plan exatly what you are going to do. So a reasonable realistic strategy game should involve an element of luck.

Being a good strategist means you can anticipate the unknown, and you can plan actions for different scenarios, and foremost your strategy does not brake down completely if something doesn't go according to plan.

Even in chess you have to be lucky sometimes. Your opponent has to make mistakes, or you may have to guess what (s)he is trying to do so you can put yourself into an advatageous position. In games like Backgammom (or even Risk) you have to know what to do if the dice roll goes wrong. Good players can often beat weaker players despite bad luck, because their strategy is better.

Besides, if you claim that the UUs dictate your gameplay (in particular decide when you'll have you GA), then one may say that you choose this on the start screen when you choose you civ. It's your choice.

Originally posted by MeestaDude
1. Stupid complaint. Random terrain adds to the strategy.
No it doesn't. Re-read my initial post about how the set pattern made you choose between trying to find the "sweet spot" and finding a space early, and how that affected your next few city sites, and how that affected your overall game strategy. (If you didn't play Civ 2, then you don't know what the "sweet spot" is, so your misunderstanding of my post makes more sense.)

2. I don't restart when I can't acquire a resource, I adapt my strategy.
Looking back at my original post, I shouldn't have written that I do this. I don't restart solely because I can't get a special resource. The point is that the resource idea is good, but the implementation takes away strategy. If you have the resource, you use it, if you don't you acquire it. (In fact, I think I pretty specifically stated that.) Perhaps you don't understand the difference between tactics and strategy. Tactics is saying, hmm, I need iron. Should I trade for it or go to war for it, or should I search for it elsewhere. How you acquire the resource is tactics. Deciding to acquire it is strategy. Who the hell would ever make a strategic decision to forego iron?

To me, a better idea would be to make the special resources more common, but less valuable. For example, maybe you could only build one swordsman at a time for each iron resource, or only start one per turn. Or iron could be common, but every 20 swordsmen exhausts the mine.

That would be more strategic. Everyone would have iron, but some people would have plenty, some would have few. Then, you face a decision, if you're short of iron. Do I try to get by with what little I have, or do I try to acquire more? How much am I willing to trade for one resource? If I can't trade for it, should I go to war for it?

It seems almost as if you start the game with a specific idea of how you are gonna play it out to the end.
Well, that's accurate, except that it's completely wrong. :rolleyes:

If you haven't played Civ 2, you won't understand the difference. but in Civ 2, you could win while founding 5 cities. Hell, I won games by conquest while only founding 7 cities. Or you can build cities like a madman. The variation between the biggest and smallest viable civs in Civ 2 was much, much greater than in Civ 3. Vets of both games will attest to that. And the variation between how warlike and how peaceful you can be at a given level was much greater in Civ 2 than Civ 3. (I think. I've been playing a fair amount of monarch, and it's harder to play peacefully on monarch than Civ 2 was on deity. And cultureflipping makes warmongering harder on Civ 3. But maybe guys who have played more Civ 3 have a different take.)

There just aren't as many options for Civ size and Civ aggressiveness in Civ 3 as Civ 2. That's less strategy.

4. There is nothing about luck in Wonder building, assume from the start that it is being built by other nations. They ASSUME that you are building it.
Again, that's not really my point. My point isn't that building wonders is hard. My point is that barely missing out on a wonder is too big of a handicap. Allowing us to take those 180 shields and use 135 (figuring a 25% wastage, it could be any amount) of them to build, I dunno, 4 horsemen and a worker. You'd still lose out when barely missing a wonder, it'd still hurt you, but it wouldn't have the same kind of huge impact.

One other related issue...to barely miss the Colossus or Hanging Gardens is a much bigger deal than barely missing the later wonders. And that's because of the way the designers have made the early game so much harder than the late game. Again, I'm trying to make the point that many of these flaws exacerbate each other.

5. I balance my armies quite a bit, costs can be tweaked easily if you don't like them.
Again, you've missed the point. In Civ 2, which I'm guessing you never played, when at war, you had to balance out building 4 different types of units...30 shield spies, 50 shield alpines or Mech, 70 shield howies, and 80 shield tanks. (Air force was pretty crappy in Civ 2.) You want to avoid wastage, you don't want to build tanks in a city producing 70 shields. You want to build howies there. In Civ 2, you had to decide on how to balance out minimizing the shields you waste when you have more shields than you need, with the need to have a balance of tanks (or cavalry), Mechs, spies, and howies. It's tempting to set up your cities to build so that you have minimal shield overage, but if you do that, you may end up building too many howies and not enough tanks.

7. & 8. Corruption can be fixed in editor (and is not a 'strategic' problem, adapt your strategy, not the game!!!) Disease adds to the strategy, stay the heck out of flood plains if you can't handle em.
1. Everybody (except you) knows that corruption is unmanageable in huge civs, so that you don't have the option of building a huge civ.
2. Random factors don't add to strategy.

Lesson of the day: Strategy equals handling unpredictability, not whining about it.
So Battleship is more of a strategy game than chess, huh?

I find it remarkable that such a snide post is so poorly thought out.

Top Bottom