Road to War --I love this game

SoldierCrush

Chieftain
I have been looking for a good game for the past few years. I have never found a game like this. I am home.

Well I gotta say that this game is the greatest I have played in my memory.

I love ww2 information, and I cant get over how awesome this game is.

Although I am a little dissapointed in the tech tree as I already have modern everything and it is only 1941.

I invaded poland and russia beat me to the southern polish cities, devastating my blitzkrieg plans for the the southern oil. Fricken finland held me off and counterattacked and reduced me to controlling only one city, although now I own them all except one. France fell easy, yugoslavia and greece I was not prepared for and tooke me more than a turn to harass them.

Now I have the dangerous options of how to attack and conquer russia, I am perplexed as to what to do. SUch a big country and I am not ready for this conflict.

Well HUGE KUDOS to the developers, You guys did such a great job, THNAK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Its January 43

I took moscow and now I am pretty much mopping up and have only 4 more russina cities to take. My air force is on the high production and I have total air superiority wherever I am, In fact I have has air supremacy the entire game.

Africa is mine, and I am now meeitng my southern armies taking the southern russina oil fields.

The game is mine, I will be interested in what the AMerican and British do?

The game is great but it woudl be nice if the developers could make it so that the nuetral countries dont have thier units move around for no reason. Have them go to sleep, might speed up the game during computer player moves by about 90%.

The tech tree is totally broken, I have about 3k per turn to spend on building units, absolutely no more tech to learn.

I have not gotten nukes yet, figured that woudl nto be a ton of fun, but will probably make them once I finish off Africa and Russia.

Are you playing the latest version, or the retail version? Techs are indeed extremely cheap in the retail version.

I just downloaded your latest version, but after 4 days of nonstop civ i need rest, im super sleepy lol

I think i was playing with an older version, as I was teched completely by 1940

Great Job Dale BTW

Hi

In the old version the factories add 25% to production, they don't anymore, it makes it take very long time to rebuild tanks, aircraft after mayor combat. It a bit difficult to take on USSR, when you are facing over 50 tanks and have to wait 10-15 turns to build one nazi tank

VestDK

And now after playing all night I got the picture, sorry for the stupid text above.

Super great game, I really like the battlefield penalties, but sad to hear that this is the last version, was hoping to see one with special German subs, maybe also other special navy units. Maybe some one else will add something. My programming skills are non existing :)

VestDK

It is encouraging to see people enjoying this mod. Personally I tried but after a few turns I got bored and switched to a normal civ4 game because I had a nonsense-unfair comparison of this mod with heartsofiron2.

I think I need to be more patient until the fray beginning in 1939 :) and give a second try.

Dale: I got the UE version and, yes I noticed techs are slower. Good idea.

I am having trouble using "Armour" though.

My Tiger's with +3 "City Attack" promotions are getting killed by pre-bombed artillery and anti-tank units.

Favorious: You should install the UE version, it's like playing Hearts of Iron but with Civ mechanics.

My complaint with RTW is that it is so unbalanced in favor of the major powers by unit strengths. There's no way a Polish infantry division is that much weaker than a Russian infantry division. A few points would be critical, plus the economic ascendancy.

I like the mods but a few complaints here.

1- i REALLY wish the countries would start in their historical areas.

2- As one of the above poster said, Some troops are rather very weak. Canadian soldiers being weaker than a russian ones?

Hmmm is that so? How about Vimy ridge? tons of battles were Canadian did save the day.

3- I have played a few games and it seems there's ALWAYS one power who becomes stronger by almost 5 to 1 against EVERY other single nation. This one game i am playing right now, Seems like Republic of China is gona win and i am glad i got some other cities build on other continent, Away from them since it might allow me to live longer!

4- If you start in an area and by some luck the game didnt give you Iron, you are simply screwed! I tried getting Iron by trade and i had maybe 10-12 other countries using the same civics as me, and none of them had any iron to trade! I am sorry but by 1930 or so, most countries DID have Iron!!! Especially Canada!

Love the game, but some stuff in my book would need tweaking!

I've just recently started playing the 1936 mod. A couple things that strike as being very realistic as how naive and unprepared most of Europe was for what was to follow.

I played the 1936 actual events mode first as the US and had some success, I also wanted to try the open play mode.

For the open play mod, I started as West Balkans and was worried initially about being so close to Italy and having Calvary.

However, I was taken aback at how weak and ill-fortified Italy's cities are at the start.

So, after a couple turns of building the military I quickly seized Albania (which is also a big oil source) from Italy and though Mussolini was not open to peace immediately (though he would gladly offer it in exchange for the return of Albania). After a couple turns without a threat I offered something like 30 gold plus 2 per turn and he reluctantly accepted. To avoid frequent unrest, I temporarily moved my capital to Albania.

Next I turned my eyes towards Budapest and seized that with relative ease. I really did not want to eliminate East Balkan. I want them to remain a buffer with the USSR, for now.

I continued to develop my techs and began stockpiling tanks and fighters and bombers on the the Italian border while continuing to look north.

My objective here was to see what would happen if Germany could not plow through Poland. So I declared war on Poland and left all but a couple of it's eastern cities, again leaving a buffer with the USSR.

While I was warring with the Poles, Italy and Germany began demanding 120 gold tribute, which by this point wasn't much. My initial thought was if Danzig was so desirous to Germany, they would pay a decent price for it. Unfortunately they seemed uninterested. In the meantime the East Balkans and Baltic States had signed a defensive pact.

I have just relocated my capital to Budapest to help influence the former Polish cities that connect me to the Baltic Sea that are constantly under German revolt. I have no problem unloading Danzig to Germany (I would prefer to get something for it--but it could flip by itself), but ideally I would like to connect Sea to Sea, which would mean warring with the Baltics and East Balkans (each has two cities).

All the while I've continued stockpiling tanks and bombers along the Italian border.

It's late 1938 and Germany has not yet made any drastic moves. The USSR hasn't invaded Finland, and Italy is not a severe threat militarily yet. Regular "traditional" France still exists.

So, I am asking for advice from those of you who may have already played this way or know which countries may react in a certain way.

Based on surveillance, I should be able to take Brindisi and Venice on the first turn with war against Italy. The problem is Italy has an impressive navy (I have basically none). And I don't think I could advance beyond that, and it's questionable if I would be able to hold both cities.

1) Should I still attack Italy? Should I still go for both cities?

2) Or should I seize the entire Balkans, and go for Liga?

3) Or sit idle now and await a potential onslaught, focusing on defense?

You seem to play Open Game so you cant really expect anything but that certain AI's are more agressive than others (mainly thoose who were agressive in RL). But nothing stops churchill from declaring war on france.

After crushing all the AI's with Germany/Historical on Monarch, I'm replaying on Emperor with Germany/Open Play.

6 months into the game, Czechoslovakia declared war on me! Germany! I crushed them in 2 turns flat. What's next, Poland invades Russia?

I love RtW too but since I play it on my laptop it freezes and stops constantly, plus it seems very basic to me as I now have Hearts of Iron 2, but sometimes I prefer basic.

I love RtW too but since I play it on my laptop it freezes and stops constantly, plus it seems very basic to me as I now have Hearts of Iron 2, but sometimes I prefer basic.

Same thing used to happen to me too. Patch 3.19 fixed it.

2- As one of the above poster said, Some troops are rather very weak. Canadian soldiers being weaker than a russian ones?

Hmmm is that so? How about Vimy ridge? tons of battles were Canadian did save the day.

No offense to our brothers and sisters to the north, but the Canadian military was very out-gunned in WW2. Those "tons of battles" you mention, while valorous, were greatly outshined by the efforts of the heroic American and UK forces who were simply much better equipped and prepared than the Canadians. I think the Battle of the Bulge was far more significant and decisive than Vimy Ridge. Canada has never had a large military-industrial complex and was never a major contributor to the war in either troops or military equipment. Their best contribution was probably the rich grain fields of Saskatchewan which kept many English bellies full while the UK tried to ward off German invasion.

hi dale i got a problem whit the RtW mod , 1 it goes really slow and 2 after a while it crashes pls tell me how to fix it ps were the hell is the swedish lake vanern?! im a swede so i noticed right away no offense ;)

RE: Sweden. My Mod to RTW has included the Coastal Defense ships and a few additional cities and islands. Why is Lake Vanern so important.

Top Bottom