WW2 Bomber Request: The Lancaster Bomber

Civ Commando

Chieftain
The Lancaster Bomber

I would love for someone to creat this unit, it was used by the Canadians and British in WW2 for all sorts of bombing missions. I know a few of you unit creaters are making WW2 units, so i thought someone would be interested in making this.

Here are some images:

I'd much rather see a good b29, as it was without a doubt the best bomber of the era, though it came into the game late. The Lancaster would be cool for a ww2 scenario, but as for adding it into the regular game, it'd probably just have to be a flavor unit, as it was pretty much the british b17, though I think it carried a bigger bomb load, more on the lines of the b24.

I agree with you TVA22 a B-29 would be better or even better a B-52. Either of them I would make it another American unique unit. I think either Kingboat or Smoking Mirror is working on heavy bomber.

the b17 was the american lancaster....not the other way around ill have you know!

anyway....i would love to see a lancaster in here....possibly some more british planes as well

well, without going into who really won ww2, britain or the US... I think history tells who the subordinate in the alliance was.

Originally posted by TVA22
well, without going into who really won ww2, britain or the US... I think history tells who the subordinate in the alliance was.

TVA22 is quite right. In the alliance that defeated Hitler, the country who made the most effort, the country that lost the most people, the country that did the most damage to the Nazi army, and the country that gained most land after the war was over was....
....Soviet Russia!:lol:

(Mind you....Russia was another country that missed the first couple of years of the war....;) )

There's nothing like a old war that's been over for nearly 60 years and being argued about by people who never had to fight in it for getting the old flames going, is there....

:D

Originally posted by Schizo_Angel
the b17 was the american lancaster....not the other way around ill have you know!

anyway....i would love to see a lancaster in here....possibly some more british planes as well

Imagine for a second, a B-17 with RR Merlin engines???

I think both the B-29 and the B-52 have already been made and posted either here or at Apolyton. A Lancaster Bomber would be cool--the more units the better, in my opinion.

No they haven't. I am pretty sure about that.

for your info the b-24 was a two engine copycat of the lancaster and the b-17 was a design all of its own and a hell of alot better. the b-17 could take more damage and still fly.

According to Stephen Ambrosse in "The Wild Blue" (he narrates for the history channel and writes lots of WW2 books) the B24s, which were based out of Italy carried a bigger bomb load, flew further, and took more damage before going down than the B17, the B17 achieved such fame because they were based out of England, which is where the movie stars went, and most of the publicity went. By 1942, the B24s had all but replaced the B17s in the Pacific theatre. B24s also had 4 engines, mind you. They were in service before the war, the Lancaster was developed during the war. I think you may be thinking of the planes used on the Doolittle raid, they look a lot like the B24s, don't remember what they're called, but they were US light bombers, B25s maybe?

B-25 Mitchell's. And you were right about the B-17's being stationed in England. The B-17 bases were closer to London and so the Royals and other VIP's didnt have as far to travel to visit the troops so they got more publicity. Plus there's also the whole "Memphis Bell" thing. There was a standing competition between the 2 different crews. There was a joke about how the B-24 was the box that the B-17 came in.

lol
Yeah I read that one. I guess you could say the B24 was the pickup truck, whereas the B17 was the sports car, no doubt they both helped win the war, but I just got the impression from reading that book that the B24 was the all around better plane.

tva22 you are right, i was thinking 25 but typed 24 sorry about that.

Actually I think that the Lancaster bomber would make a woderful new unit.Historicly,they were used by the British to destoy Nazi dams so as to cause catasthrophic floods to halt production in nearby cities since factoryies cant produce if they are shoulder deep in river water.If it is made,it could drop the bouncing bomb which,when realised,would bounce on the water due to momentum,until hitting the dam.Then the bomb would sink to a certain depth then go BOOOOM!!!:) :) :nuke: :nuke:

Top Bottom