Kuriotates settlements

jacomanring

Chieftain
Hi everyone! I'm just playing with the kuriotates...It's the first time I choose the baby...I have to say they're really enjoyable a part one thing, the settlements system!

I realize it is not possibile to have the standard number of cities and have the sprawling trait at the same time...BUT, not allowing to build anything in the settlement it's quite frustrating...
Example:

I conquered the FoL holy city, which it is very deep in elf's territory and so surrounded by heavy elvish culture influence...that ends up in riots over riots over riots....slowly I realized that conquering all my enemy territory wouldn't be SO MUCH useful (all the more so if opponent has plenty cities)! Just think about it, who'd begin a conquer campaign (maybe on a distant island) just to get a bunch of pratically useless sets??

I understand they're the Kuriotates and so it's a different game to play (cultural, altar of luonnatar and such) but I feel it's a pity not to take advantage of those cool units (kuriotates + empyrean= fun).

So, to make it short, I'd propose:

-To let build in the set at least fort building

or

-To make set Culture Immune (after all they would be some sort of trade post...)

or

-To create some kuriotates wonder that allows to double the number of buildable city (so that, according to world width, game would stay balanced)

or (last one, I swear!)

- when you conquer a city (and just in the conquered ones) and you manage to keep that city for X turns (depending on game speed & map width) that city become a city WITHOUT the sprawling trait (since it wouldn't be a Kuriotates city, in fact).

thank you!

I haven't played Kurio's in a long time, since the Cult was an underground cult and actually required a late religion tech to found, only researchable by either Sheaim or Kurio's...but I was under the impression you got the choice as to whether or not you wanted a conquered city to become a settlement or a proper city providing you still had city slots left? I don't pretend to be an expert Kurio player but I would have thought the best approach for the initial game for them would be to get your capital up at full capacity surrounded by settlements to claim resources outside your immensely fat cross. Only then thinking about finding a distant spot to plant your second city proper and surround it with settlements. Basically setting up each main city as though it were to be a Palace type city, if that 2nd city site happens to reside inside your neighbors borders or even be a neighbors city then a conquering you can go, providing you still have city slots. Guess I'll have to give them a try again sometime to find out ;)

Kuriotates need very optimal city locations. They cannot have many, so they need good cities.

I usually slow down the game speed when I play them. What do I care if I can build my units in one turn if the enemy can as well? Their huge cities can do that on epic too, maybe even on Marathon under optimal conditions (max pop they can get for their food, future tech for health and happiness).

I'm thinking that the Kuriotates should be able to build units that can be sacrificed for buildings like Monuments, Carnivals, Markets, Libraries, and Theatres in their Settlements. Since everything in the settlements is given and controlled by Cardith's government directly, it might make sense for these units to only be buildable in the Kuriotates Capital.

I just tried making it so that the Supplies unit could build all of these and so that it could be built in a city with the Kuriotates capital, but I forgot that using the Buildings field it can only build units in cities that would be able to build them anyway, which rules out capitals. I could change it to ForceBuildingss, but then it would ignore the tech prereqs and let you always build them anywhere. I'm thinking I may go back to y original idea of instead having several different units with force builds, for instance a Librarian unit that costs the same as a Library, can be build in a Kuriotates city with a library, and can force build Libraries in other cities (including Settlements).

As you may be able to tell, the main point of this is letting the Kuriotates build wonders like the Great Library on smaller maps, but it could also help you build things there to boost culture of city defenses, while being thematically appropriate in that the Settlements are dependent on the central government to send them everything they need to get these up and running.

I haven't played Kurio's in a long time, since the Cult was an underground cult and actually required a late religion tech to found, only researchable by either Sheaim or Kurio's...but I was under the impression you got the choice as to whether or not you wanted a conquered city to become a settlement or a proper city providing you still had city slots left? I don't pretend to be an expert Kurio player but I would have thought the best approach for the initial game for them would be to get your capital up at full capacity surrounded by settlements to claim resources outside your immensely fat cross. Only then thinking about finding a distant spot to plant your second city proper and surround it with settlements. Basically setting up each main city as though it were to be a Palace type city, if that 2nd city site happens to reside inside your neighbors borders or even be a neighbors city then a conquering you can go, providing you still have city slots. Guess I'll have to give them a try again sometime to find out ;)

You have the choice in single player games but not in mp games. Xien fixed it in FF so you can make the decision but Kael has not made the change in mp games for FFH. As stated above, it is very annoying trying to expand in mp games without the option for obvious reasons.

...and in the latest version, Bears cannot even build Bear Nests (I forget the real name) in Settlements anymore. Priests can still build the various temples, though.

Yes, Dancing Bears use the same <Building> tag as Supplies's buildings do, not <ForceBuilding> which should be able to bypass it. Priests use spells instead of the xml fields in Civ4UnitInfos.xml, so they don't have those restrictions.

I've always found the kuriotate war machine to be sufficient for conquest, they just have to be genocidal madmen to actually make use of it. I wish conquering a city made it a population 1 settlement, and gave you the balance of the population as immigrants or something, that can add to pop of a city or upgrade a cottage by one step as you saw fit.

The most annoying part is not even being able to build a religious great building if you happen to conquer a city that founded a religion. I thought about postponing the building of real cities until later in the game but I think you take too much of a development hit if you just sit there with one city.

The most annoying part is not even being able to build a religious great building if you happen to conquer a city that founded a religion. I thought about postponing the building of real cities until later in the game but I think you take too much of a development hit if you just sit there with one city.

agreed, that's quite annoying.

Top Bottom