has anyone seen a bomber that...

Eliminator

Warlord
........was strike down by your fighters??? I have in each city a fighter placed. I give them the mission " Air supirior" (or sompthing like that) The will then try to shoot at enemy aircrafts
down ( I hope). I have seen it happen......an american bomber came in my territory to bomb the place......then i see my fighter attacking at the same time the bomber.

Now after the turn I see that my fighter is dammaged....but the question is.....DID it shoot down the bomber???? It all happend so fast...

Well, it did!! :) Air combat continues to the death, so if your fighter is still "alive" you have won the combat and thus shot down the bomber. It's a little confusing, but your fighter is actually attackin the bomber, and has a big advantage over it. If you pay attention to the combat, you should see one of the planes exploding. In your case, it was the bomber. Hint: fighters always have the best chances to win, but Jet Fighters definitevily have a HUGE advantage over the bomber!

Yep, only one will survive air combat.
THe other will most likely be damaged

I've had same situation as Eliminator. My fighter was damaged (I suppose it shot enemy bomber down), but I even didn't notice fight! I have battle animations on...

I've seen my fighters shoot down bombers before but not too often. Enemy bombers seem to steer well clear, especially when you've got jet fighters. It definitely works the other way round too, I had a bomber blasted in my last game and saw it hit the dirt.
Memo to self: Remember to put a fighter on every carrier!

Memo to zenga. put a fighter on one or two carrieres out of a stack of five carriers. You'll be glad of the extra bombers.

here's a question, has anybody seen their bomber defend against AND shoot down a fighter?

Cheers bbaws, never thought of that one! :D

The only problem is I very rarely have naval stacks with more than a couple of carriers in them. I tend to split my fleets up a bit, especially when using them to destroy improvements containing resources. The only sure way to stop those fighters and batteships arriving is to blow the oil fields sky high.:lol:

Those old ironcalds are bloody handy if you fortify them out to sea for their eyes. Handy buffer to let you build a really big navy out of proper units.

Quote:
"here's a question, has anybody seen their bomber defend against AND shoot down a fighter?"

Yes, I have seen both my bombers win and my fighters lose. Which is why it is a good idea to have more than one fighter protecting the area if possible.

I have never seen an aerial combat. Is there an animation like ground and naval units?

Originally posted by Bobela XII
I have never seen an aerial combat. Is there an animation like ground and naval units?
I think there's only a statement like 'our fighter has shot down an enemy bomber' or something like that. It's been awhile since I last needed to field a significant airforce as well. :)

There is an animation, but it happens pretty fast, so you must be consentrating on the screen action. The animation shows the losing plane blowing up.

And yes, I have seen my fighters shoot down enemy bombers and once seen my bomber shoot down a fighter, and seen enemy fighters shoot down my bombers.

Just about to research flight. The airports really do the job. Fighting on two fronts away from my small but productive continent. Air power is just not the same in Civ 3, tried using bombers as artillery, not as good as artillery. Tried using bombers to cut roads and railroads. Then I took the territory and I had no roads. How can a stealth bomber attack fail? And how unrealistic is the range, in the anti Iraq war to come the US will be using stealth bombers based in north america.

Originally posted by bbaws
Just about to research flight. The airports really do the job. Fighting on two fronts away from my small but productive continent. Air power is just not the same in Civ 3, tried using bombers as artillery, not as good as artillery. Tried using bombers to cut roads and railroads. Then I took the territory and I had no roads. How can a stealth bomber attack fail? And how unrealistic is the range, in the anti Iraq war to come the US will be using stealth bombers based in north america.

Agree about the bomber range, but it is accurate for the WWII era which really fits where bombers fall in the Tech timeline. There should be a "long-range bomber" somewhere in between bombers and stealth that provides a much greater range.

Disagree that bombers are not as good as artillery. I really prefer bombers to artillery because of the movement restrictions of artillery. Just be careful moving them to close to the front during a war!! If you rebase them into a city that you've just captured, you risk losing them in a culture flip.

Question: Do bombers count as "units" in the calculation of number of units required to prevent a culture flip?

No, bombers, artillery, and ships can not prevent a culture flip. Only a ground unit with A/D values can prevent.

Top Bottom