Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

It's probably the reason why the Mughals, Persians, British and Tsarist Russia failed though...

All for that extra gold on Didas... should have known better. Mughals could have used their cannons more effectively, Persians should have done it in a Golden Age, Britain probably should have attacked somewhere more costal, and the Tsardom of Russia could have waited to upgrade their units into Great War Infantry. Honestly.

And... I makes map! Please tell me if anything needs changed - also, I have a feeling that "Empire of Afghanistan" is incorrect. Perhaps "Kingdom"? Scapegrace, pray tell.

Spoiler :

Also, I'm working on a leaderscreen - if anyone has any idea what I could use to make his body, it would be much appreciated! Basically, just some fairly regal Pashtun clothes would do - preferably like Mirwais is dressed here.

Spoiler :

1. Add Peshawar too, its on the border, plus twas a major citayyyy

other than that

you should add just a little bit of contrast
and put their sign in the middle of their empire, perhaps a little more embellishments of their writing?

ps, please post the image in a size closer to 600 width by resizing it, as thats the way were gonna see it ingame, other than the DOM scene. Also makes it look better, as the pixel borders aren't visible

and if you can, use the flowers, they are magic!!!

this is what they currently look like:

granted i can get someone to convert them. Basically they are a super 1 range camel archer that can devastate your opponents. Considering giving them +4 movement instead of 3.

Dida's will also look like:

fantastico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Add Peshawar too, its on the border, plus twas a major citayyyy

other than that

you should add just a little bit of contrast
and put their sign in the middle of their empire, perhaps a little more embellishments of their writing?

ps, please post the image in a size closer to 600 width by resizing it, as thats the way were gonna see it ingame, other than the DOM scene. Also makes it look better, as the pixel borders aren't visible

and if you can, use the flowers, they are magic!!!

I'll add Peshawar soon as I get round to revising it, thanks! I haven't done proper research on cities yet, though from what I gather it should be something like Kabul, Kandahar, then Herat. As for the other stuff you suggested, I tried that, but I honestly prefer it better with what I've got. I can easily revise it later though - it just gives it a nice desert feel, in my opinion. I don't know if I need more embellishments, but should you say so, sure! I'll see if I can add some flowers too, but I must ask a question here - where are you meant to get images of them from? Obviously Google, but just taking any flower image doesn't fit in well with the style.

Finally, sizes - later. I typically make them 1000 by 1144 for DoM scenes, and it's easy enough to resize them. Besides, you can get a ton more detail in them if you do them fairly large, thus easier to see what you're doing.

I'll add Peshawar soon as I get round to revising it, thanks! I haven't done proper research on cities yet, though from what I gather it should be something like Kabul, Kandahar, then Herat. As for the other stuff you suggested, I tried that, but I honestly prefer it better with what I've got. I can easily revise it later though - it just gives it a nice desert feel, in my opinion. I don't know if I need more embellishments, but should you say so, sure! I'll see if I can add some flowers too, but I must ask a question here - where are you meant to get images of them from? Obviously Google, but just taking any flower image doesn't fit in well with the style.

Finally, sizes - later. I typically make them 1000 by 1144 for DoM scenes, and it's easy enough to resize them. Besides, you can get a ton more detail in them if you do them fairly large, thus easier to see what you're doing.

Kabul, Kandahar, Herat sounds good. It's pretty easy to work up a city list (I did the pedia entries, btw). Ghazni is important, as is Balkh, although I have that as a Religious CS because of Leugi's Israel. It's appropriate as both. After getting through the obvious and historically significant, I'd just start going through big Afghan cities.

Kabul, Kandahar, Herat sounds good. It's pretty easy to work up a city list (I did the pedia entries, btw). Ghazni is important, as is Balkh, although I have that as a Religious CS because of Leugi's Israel. It's appropriate as both. After getting through the obvious and historically significant, I'd just start going through big Afghan cities.

Yay! I made a good start! Is Kabul fine for the capital? While it's the capital today, and probably the most recognisable, Kandahar was the capital for a pretty long time as well, and as was Herat. I think that order is probably best from my research, though you probably know far more about it than I do.

Yay! I made a good start! Is Kabul fine for the capital? While it's the capital today, and probably the most recognisable, Kandahar was the capital for a pretty long time as well, and as was Herat. I think that order is probably best from my research, though you probably know far more about it than I do.

I'm no expert, to be honest - just did lots of research and writing yesterday. While I think that Kandahar is undoubtedly the center of a lot of the action if Afghanistan, and even where the chosen leader, Mirwais Hotak, made his stand, I'd still choose Kabul. This civ isn't just representing one part of Afghan history, and Kabul is the current capital. Kandahar should absolutely, 100% be the second city, though.

When it comes to city lists, I guess I prefer doing the most important historical cities first, and then using major cities in the civ's modern equivalent - but of course this is just a preference.

I'll see if I can add some flowers too, but I must ask a question here - where are you meant to get images of them from? Obviously Google, but just taking any flower image doesn't fit in well with the style.

The national flower of Afghanistan is the Tulip

found some good ones if you don't have the time to create them, just search "tulip clipart"

http://clipart-illustration.com/english/material/picture24/l_02.gif
For this one: just need to use drop shadow and textures

http://bestclipartblog.com/clipart-pics/tulip-clip-art-11.jpg

borrow leaves from another that may fit in for this, and use drop shadow

I meant when you choose the leader, and the map appears in the box below, that size is what looks good.

My feedback on the map is that the color of the Hotaki territory blends in too much with the parchment.

I'm going with the consensus on this; the map needs more contrast between the parchment and the borders of the Hotaki Empire. The map, after all, is not the territory. Badum tish. What would I do instead? Try brightening the parchment colour a bit and make the empire a dark green, like the colours on TP's icon. It just seems a good fit. I also agree with the choice of Kabul as the capital and Kandahar as the second city; it strikes the balance between modern and ancient Afghanistan. =]

Also, FAO TP: Does the Dida bonus trigger for all trade routes, or just the ones Afghanistan starts?

If you have the .psd, I can play around with it. But thanks! If you don't have it, then I'll need you to post another but without the title text.

Also we are looking to see if we can release the Cree this weekend. We just need music and unit art.

If you want to help look for music, that would be amazing. Remember it doesn't have to be Cree music, just something that sounds Native American meets orchestra. Also looking for Anishinaabe and Zapotec music.

With all respect to their culture but that sounds... annoying

This is definately one of those cases where you have to opt a less "tribal" route. Otherwise people will just mute the music.

Lol, totally true

Could go with the existing tribal music already in civ

There's no way you can say "with all due respect" and sound not disrespectful lol, but I get the inclination. I've scoured the internet already for Cree music - but all of it doesn't really sound too conducive to what Firaxis uses, hence why I said "something that sounds Native American meets orchestra".

Here is a good example of what I mean:

Link to video.

There's a difference between disrespect and dislike though. I was saying it sounded annoying to me (and probably most people), but it doesn't mean they should be viewed in less esteem for that.

There's a difference between disrespect and dislike though. I was saying it sounded annoying to me (and probably most people), but it doesn't mean they should be viewed in less esteem for that.

I get what you're saying

It's not acoustically pleasing after a while

Top Bottom