One tip for each CIV

*Caveat: the following advice is most applicable to my preferred game setup: Continents, Large or Huge map with 2 less civs than default, Raging Barbarians, Epic speed. Will work elsewhere though.

Aztecs: Open Honor, then go back down the Tradition path. Build a couple Jaguars early game in lieu of usual Scouts. use Tradition to develop a strong core, then dig into Honor to go murder-happy. Try to always be fighting someone, and go heavier on your Infantry than you normally would. Combine with Honor to create Jaguars (Swordjaguars, Longswordjaguars, etc.) that give your enemies nightmares.

Think: pack of Jaguars with Cover 1 and 2, Medic 1 and 2, and March.

Ethiopia: Although UB's might hint that a wide empire is an option, UA says otherwise. Settle about 4-6 cities but no more.

This very much depends on map layout and how wide your rivals play. On larger pangeas where mot civs build lots of cities, you can expand more or less to your heart's content and still get the bonus. On archipelagos like my current game, I have 4 cities and that's as many as or more than my rivals. Playing wide is more dependable for Ethiopia since you will always get the bonus from the UB and will quite often get the UA boost.

As an added tip, even if playing wide open Tradition early and take Legalism for instant steles with the early cities - as this doesn't affect your food/growth, if you then want to go wide you don't end up running into overpopulation issues.

Persia:
UB often suggests a wide approach, UU suggests open honor and UA suggests tradition + "get to da Itza!"

I completely ignored Chichen Itza in my last Persia game (and Taj Mahal). CI is in any case so hard to get on Immortal that I think I've managed it perhaps once (and it failed to have any noticeable effect). Go for Artist's Guild early so you get your first GA at much the same time you have pikes/trebuchets. You don't need long golden ages, you just need the ability to trigger them as and when you need them. A 30-turn GA is nice but does nothing to use Persia's abilities if you can win the war in 10 turns.

Going Liberty after Tradition can be helpful to hit Representation with its Golden Age and potentially a free Great Artist from the finisher - that's a 27-turn GA right there, and taking it as your second tree means you get those GAs at a useful time. You also want the Patronage opener but don't need to go any further down the tree - Persia's UA + Forbidden Palace is such a no-brainer even the AI seems to beeline for it every time as Darius.

If you have mercantile city-states available, prioritise allying them. However, delay happiness buildings and Circus Maximus in the earliest game - your first golden age will come too early to be useful if you don't, and you don't want to blow the opportunity for a low-cost natural GA. If you time it right, you can even manage to get the natural GA + the Representation GA + the Liberty Artist + the first Guild Artist in succession, for a minimum Golden Age of 54 turns (by which time you should of course have more Artists. If you do get CI, you can even keep the GA going long enough to extend it still further with Taj Mahal).

India - Reroll. :p

Okay no, seriously:

Mongola - Wait until Chivalry then kill everyone with Khans and Keshiks.

I disagree with you.

A) India is very strong.

B) Mongola - Build some Chariot Archer and grant XP to them (via barbs, CS, AI...) until Logistics is reached, then upgrade them and kill everyone with Khans and Keshiks.

Huns: Get a bunch of Horse Archers and dominate. Then get a couple of battering rams and finish off cities civs.

VS Morocco: Well...

Denmark: They are great for coastal raids. You like that juicy coastal capital full of wonders? Taking that is easy, land your siege units & attack with them on the very same turn (yes that is possible due to their UA) . Berserks can be considered an additional plus as they are available earlier than longswords & are fine for amphibious assaults.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk

JAPAN: Settle your capital next to AT LEAST 1 atoll and 3+ sea resources. Focus on settling the majority of your cities on the coast next to abundant sea resources. The other fight-oriented aspect of the UA is good, but the culture from sea resources is what you should focus on.

Crap, I should have known to keep an eye out for water to settle next to. Unfortunately, I disable start bias quite often in my games and I was a LONG haul from finding water. In the end, I think the 8 to 10 turns it would have taken me to get to a coast wouldn't have been worth it right?

Otherwise I guess a re-roll would have been in order huh? :lol:

At any rate - I will definitely plant my other cities on coastlines as much as possible next.

Byzantium: Use Dromons to culture-farm out-of-reach Barbarian camps, especially near religious City States.

Carthage: Let Q-remes maintain the peace around your rapid early expansion, stop when you're just about over-extended, and then let advantage wash over you for the rest of the game.

Denmark: They are great for coastal raids. You like that juicy coastal capital full of wonders? Taking that is easy, land your siege units & attack with them on the very same turn (yes that is possible due to their UA) . Berserks can be considered an additional plus as they are available earlier than longswords & are fine for amphibious assaults.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk

Debarking for Denmark only costs 1 movement point, but the siege units still have to use their remaining movement to set up Wouldn't that strategy only work with Rocket Artillery who don't have to set up before firing?

Shoshone...use its UA to pop ruins and snag population...more people = more science = more production...

Get the Great Wall...combine that with Shoshone defense in its territory...sweet.

Debarking for Denmark only costs 1 movement point, but the siege units still have to use their remaining movement to set up Wouldn't that strategy only work with Rocket Artillery who don't have to set up before firing?

Embarked Danish units also get +1 movement, and this persists for the rest of the turn when they disembark (as do any embarkation speed boosts from Compass etc.). So a catapult - say - gets 3 moves on the turn it disembarks, of which it needs 1 to disembark, 1 to set up, and 1 to fire, plus any bonus moves from techs. It's typical to have move 4 or 5 Danish catapults/trebuchets when they disembark.

Embarked Danish units also get +1 movement, and this persists for the rest of the turn when they disembark (as do any embarkation speed boosts from Compass etc.). So a catapult - say - gets 3 moves on the turn it disembarks, of which it needs 1 to disembark, 1 to set up, and 1 to fire, plus any bonus moves from techs. It's typical to have move 4 or 5 Danish catapults/trebuchets when they disembark.

Whoa thanks for reply, didn't know that as I've never played as Denmark

Whoa thanks for reply, didn't know that as I've never played as Denmark

I suspect many people who consider it overly weak haven't. It probably doesn't help that the AI never, ever seems to use the disembark-move ability, at least I've never seen it do so, which may be one reason Harald tends to underperform.

Denmark's no top tier civ by any means, but it's not particularly weak, and that disembark-extra move trick is fantastic for scouts, settlers and workers on island maps. No one scouts quite as well as Denmark on water maps - sure England gets +2 movement at sea, but just think how often you frustratingly run into ruins you can't grab with a trireme, or barbarians your archer can't land and shoot before they get a chance to attack.

I'd take Denmark over Polynesia pretty much any day; moving through ocean is all very well, but can still be slow and you can't rely on having a nearby landmass as you can when you're hugging the coast, and like England Polynesia gets no bonus to exploring or settling land - which is, you know, the actually useful stuff you want to explore. Even if you give the edge to Polynesia in the exploration game, the difference isn't large, and the Danish UA is more versatile because it does have that combat application as well.

The problem is that Denmark's abilities are only really useful on a very specific map type. On any island setting you're better off with a Frigate rush because everything's going to be coastal, Continents or more won't have enough near water cities for you to launch your surprise attack. What you really want to play them on is Small Continents.

The problem is that Denmark's abilities are only really useful on a very specific map type. On any island setting you're better off with a Frigate rush because everything's going to be coastal, Continents or more won't have enough near water cities for you to launch your surprise attack. What you really want to play them on is Small Continents.

You don't need many cities - Denmark is good for seizing key cities without any need for long-term warmongering, and with the BNW trade changes, there seems to be an increased tendency for starting cities to be coastal on most maps. Frigates are very late - Denmark can get going and capture things much earlier. You know those catapults and trebuchets Denmark can use so well? Well, once you have Compass and Logistics promotions, things get really interesting. Plus, as above, Denmark's ability is far from useless outside combat - even on Pangea and Continent maps +1 speed for your settler is worth jumping into the water and running up the coast if you have good near-coastal city spots.

Denmark is far from the only civ with rather specific map requirements - again, take Polynesia as an example. On the face of it they look good on any water map, but actually they only really get a bonus on particular island map set-ups where most of the world isn't accessible coastally (most continent and many archipelago maps tend to be almost or entirely accessible along the coast) - embarking over oceans can be faster, but if you don't know where you're going in advance you may just end up wasting turns in the blue. Yet for whatever reason there's a wide perception that Denmark, not Polynesia, is the "worst civ", despite a very poor Polynesian UU where Denmark has one decent UU and one that, while nothing special in the unique department and wholly uninteresting, has the advantage of replacing a good basic melee unit and which is slightly better in very situational circumstances (and never worse).

Most people see Polynesia as being bad too so it's not a good comparison if you're trying to make Denmark look favorable. Compare it with a good water civ; say, England. Are those Danish catapults really going to have a higher chance of success than a full charge towards Ships of the Line? I think not. You might seize a capital earlier as the Danes but it's near impossible for a Lizzy player to screw up a water dom game. The Danes are subject to the same risks as everyone else is in early Pangaea warfare with how fragile catapults are.

Denmark has an advantage over England on Small Continents because you can reasonably expect to have to stage an amphibious assault to take all the capitals on that map type, but any map where all capitals are coastal lets Lizzy make poor Harald look like a chump.

Most people see Polynesia as being bad too so it's not a good comparison if you're trying to make Denmark look favorable. Compare it with a good water civ; say, England.

Ah, but there you're going from one extreme to the other. I already said Denmark is no power civ, yet you'd prefer to compare it with the civ that gets the best ship UU in the game (sure, Sea Beggars are great, but not only is SotL a Frigate, and so by default superior to a Privateer, it gets the English UA bonus), and moreover one of the game's strongest overall warmongers (both UUs are not only ranged, but replace the best ranged units of the medieval and Renaissance eras respectively, and to top it off both have good UU bonuses). There's almost the entire game's-worth of power levels between England and Polynesia.

What Denmark is, is a very well-realised theme civ that is fun to play and still strong enough to be competitive more generally than it's given credit for. No, it's not going to beat England in any capacity except, much of the time, early exploration and settlement.

Are those Danish catapults really going to have a higher chance of success than a full charge towards Ships of the Line? I think not. You might seize a capital earlier as the Danes but it's near impossible for a Lizzy player to screw up a water dom game

But seizing early can make the difference. You don't need to pigeonhole yourself to playing a domination game when you have the ability to grab Thebes early enough to transition to a culture game, for instance. Think of the way Attila, say, is pretty terrible for domination outside small pangeas, but he does have the ability to grab a few key cities pretty early, setting himself up to build a more peaceful mid- and late game. Seeing Denmark as simply an inferior, map-dependent domination civ is much like seeing Attila the same way: in any game where Attila doesn't have the opportunity to completely wipe out his rivals in the early game (which is most non-pangea maps, and larger pangeas), he's no use for domination since his units are obsolete, both of them promote into units that can't use the offensive promotions they've earned (battering ram to ranged, horse archer to melee), and his UA gives him no combat bonuses. The solution? If you start on an island, don't play domination with the Huns, focus instead on exploiting early Animal Husbandry and the production bonus.

The Danes are subject to the same risks as everyone else is in early Pangaea warfare with how fragile catapults are.

Generally yes, although there is another exploitable consequence of the UA - they can disembark and embark in the same turn. With enhanced movement (I've mentioned Compass, but don't forget Great Lighthouse and/or the Exploration opener), a unit with Blitz or Logistics can disembark, attack, run out of retaliation range and jump back in the water - ready to disembark and get all that bonus movement again next turn. This can protect catapults and their successors simply by making them hard to catch. Not to mention, if they do take damage, they can pillage without using any of those numerous movement points.

The moral of the story: if you're going to go a-viking, do it in style. And with catapults.

Not to mention, if they do take damage, they can pillage without using any of those numerous movement points.

Denmark fast pillage is melee-line only.

Denmark's military value holds up fine on Continents up to Standard size - Large is pushing it. But Large is pushing any continental invasion. Denmark still gets an advantage. You're just discounting the utility of coastal warfare arbitrarily. How do you get to inland cities if you don't take a coastal one first?

Denmark's free amphibious promo (if you're establishing your core melee force with Berserkers) is also underrated, and gives them an edge in near-coastal cities. Unsupported sword/infantry can take cities very easily when five units can surround it and attack together. No need for cycling or sacrificing units, the city falls in 2 turns. Amphibious is an important part of that puzzle - avoid river penalty - as is being able to swarm up from the coast to the city that has no defending units around it. As is being able to step back, step forward, attack again on flat land, pillaging two tiles along the way for a 50HP boost, so your Berserkers are strong enough to hold off incoming AI units after you take the city. File this under tips for Denmark. You can take any city you want on your own continent with Berserkers.

not really a tip as much as a fun suggestion if you're bored:

Byzantium: When you found your religion, use your Bonus belief to pick Religious texts. Then when you enhance your religion, take Itinerant Preachers as your Enhancer belief. Watch as your religion spreads like wildfire without you needing to lift a finger. Your founder belief will determine your future:

Tithe or Church Property– swim in gold like Scrooge McDuck
Ceremonial Burial or Peace Loving – nary a frown in your empire (which can go as wide as you have room)
Pilgrimage – keep building up more faith to spend on whatever else you choose (Great People, units, religious/science buildings – whatever you took for Follower and/or Reformation beliefs)
World Church – rack up the SPs and build a defense against AI’s Tourism.
Initiation Rites and Interfaith Dialogue I wouldn’t bother with.

Edit: Suffice to say this doesn't work well on a Duel-size map. It also works better on a Pangaea map

Denmark fast pillage is melee-line only.

Ah, good catch - I only added that comment as an afterthought and evidently didn't think it through...

not really a tip as much as a fun suggestion if you're bored:

Happily, "if you're bored" translates almost directly to "if you're playing Byzantium".

Tithe or Church Property– swim in gold like Scrooge McDuck
Ceremonial Burial or Peace Loving – nary a frown in your empire (which can go as wide as you have room)
Pilgrimage – keep building up more faith to spend on whatever else you choose (Great People, units, religious/science buildings – whatever you took for Follower and/or Reformation beliefs)
World Church – rack up the SPs and build a defense against AI’s Tourism.
Initiation Rites and Interfaith Dialogue I wouldn’t bother with.

Indeed, this plan doesn't work with ID at all, which is based on missionary spread, and is more valuable the more followers of other religions are in the target city - ID is for religions that don't want to become dominant (since if you can keep that juicy holy city belonging to the enemy religion, you can reuse ID over and over popping 100+ science a turn).

Top Bottom