Poland has -48 gold and buys my city state out every turn... Is the AI cheating?

CivAddict2013

Warlord
Okay, so I started a game as Germany. Was going pretty well until the late game. I had bought out most of the city states in the game.

But towards the late game out of nowhere, Poland starts buying out 3 of my city states every turn. Literally, every turn I buy the city state back and he buys all 3 back. City states are embargoed and Poland is embargoed.

Also he's making -48 gold a turn. -48 gold per turn? Yet can buy out my city state every turn? WHAT!?

Is the Poland AI cheating or what?

Yes. The AI always cheats depending on difficulty level.
But how so? I've never really had this happen before.

Does it get some sort of gold cheat?

It's just strange that he's embargoed, city states are embargoed and the standing army text has been passed, but he's still got a huge army and can buy out 3 city states every turn. Like he's not losing gold or something.

Perhaps the AI isn't affected by negative GPT?

As a player, I've never had a game where I made so much money I could buy 3 city states every turn.

The ai does not "cheat", it just has bonus resources depending on difficulty level. He is influencing the CS's through some other means, like the aforementioned gunboat diplomacy.

Did Poland roll with Autocracy? Gunboat Diplomacy could be why. Some silly AI tried to snatch a city state away form me with 250 gold only for the city state to end back under my umbrella after a couple of turns.

Didnt really think to much on Gunboat until I started playing my current large island map. My navy is powerful and able to get to most CSs quickly. Between the military strength modifier and any local units I move to it for 'local military' modifier' I can flip any CS in 10 turns, for free.

He could also be couping.

That would seem to require gold he doesn't have, as well.

I recall MadDjinn explaining why negative GPT doesn't necessarily mean any civ (including human) has no gold available at the start of a given turn. I don't remember the details, because I've always accepted whatever the AI does (and doesn't do), without worrying about whether it's cheating, a handicap, etc.

Couping doesn't require gold.

If he's rigging elections, that can't happen every turn. And you'd get an announcement about your influence mysteriously falling.

If he's couping, then it's usually a bigger swing in influence, and it's not easy for you to buy the cities back. And you should also get an announcement that tells you there was a coup.

It sounds like he really is buying the cities each turn. And i'd guess that when you buy them back, it takes 250 gold each, since the Ai always pays the minimal amount to get CS to be their allies instead of yours.

I think the suggestion that the AI is cheating probably gives it too much credit. I mean, do you really think so highly of it that you consider it capable of forming a malevolent intention to break free of the rules written for it, for the purpose of undermining an endeavour you've put a lot of gold into? Most people wouldn't think the AI capable of such self-aware shenanigans.

He doesn't have negative gold, the display is bugged. Click the overview tab again to see how much gold he really has.

Top Bottom