Golden Ages and how they stack question

drewgie

Chieftain
hello civies,

If you use an Artist to create a Golden Age while you are in a GA, do you still get that max amount (8 turns from an artist I believe). Are there diminishing returns if you trigger a GA while in a GA?

Thanks for your advice!

No, you still get the full amount of days added on. However, what I'm not sure about with GAs is whether your happiness keeps adding to the bucket while you're in a GA; my suspicion is it doesn't.

oh and one follow up question, what happens to happiness during a GA? Is excess happiness stored and added to the total for the next GA trigger?

No, you still get the full amount of days added on. However, what I'm not sure about with GAs is whether your happiness keeps adding to the bucket while you're in a GA; my suspicion is it doesn't.

you read my mind! If anyone knows what happens to excess happiness during a GA please let us know!

From my comparison of before/after no points get added. I haven't looked at the code though. For this reason I hold off on triggering a golden age sometimes if I'm about the trigger a natural one and have a lot of happiness. Otherwise, afterward the cap has gone up and I have to wait again.

The effects behave as you expect. Great artists get pumped out faster, and you can pop them to perpetuate the Golden Age. Rush to civil service for Chichen Itza. Save an artist for your natural Golden Age around renaissance, build Taj Mahal, get that liberty policy. Enjoy perpetual Golden age for the rest of the game.

Interesting thread.

The other day I was actually wondering about a similar thing - so I wanted to ask a question - let's say I am a few turns away from triggering a "natural" GA (using the happiness counter) and instead of waiting I burn a Great Artist to start one - after this GA ends - will the counter be reset or simply return to the value it was before the GA started ?

I read post #5 and was not 100% sure about it so I thought I'd ask.

Are you guys 100% sure that they don't accumulate during the age? I could swear that they didn't used to, but now they do. But I could be extremely wrong about that.

Looks like I need to pay attention next time ...

I also want to know if Brazil and Amercia UU is useful during a GA, looking forward for an answer

Yeah - what happens if you win World's Fair while in a golden age? I'm pretty sure the 500 points get added in the background. My last game, I had a few turns left in a golden age, and then I noticed it was saying I had 16 turns left (epic speed). I didn't notice it in time to see how it got extended - but it wasn't anything I did myself. I'm pretty sure the happiness counter triggered a new one in the background before the other one was over. (It was pretty amazing - I popped 2 Great Artists after it to extend it further; and I was getting double culture from the World's Fair, and popped 3 Great Writers... I ended up basically filling out the entire Rationalism tree in about 20 turns.)

Yeah - what happens if you win World's Fair while in a golden age? I'm pretty sure the 500 points get added in the background. My last game, I had a few turns left in a golden age, and then I noticed it was saying I had 16 turns left (epic speed). I didn't notice it in time to see how it got extended - but it wasn't anything I did myself. I'm pretty sure the happiness counter triggered a new one in the background before the other one was over. (It was pretty amazing - I popped 2 Great Artists after it to extend it further; and I was getting double culture from the World's Fair, and popped 3 Great Writers... I ended up basically filling out the entire Rationalism tree in about 20 turns.)

Is the 500 points towards a golden age specific to the World's Fair only?

I will keep my eye on my happiness before a golden age next time I play.

If the world's fair contributes in the background then I assume America's minute men UU ability to add to GAs would add to the next GAs tally during a GA.

Golden ages have their time limits and if someone uses a great artist during a golden age, the great artist's golden age turns will be added to the remaining golden age turns that are left during the current golden age.

Excess happiness does not add up during a Golden Age; it is for that reason that it's a good idea not to build any happiness buildings or make luxury trades during a GA, unless your empire was unhappy (in which case it is unlikely that you would be in a GA in the first place).

However, I believe the 500 GA points from the World's Fair and the GA points earned by Pracinhas and Minutemen are added even during a GA, as others have mentioned.

Top Bottom