Naval Units from a City State

TheGreatImber

Chieftain
Has anyone received a Naval Unit from a city state yet? Though I do enjoy the new mechanic I have yet to see a CS gift a galleass or privateer.

Those that aren't familiar with G&K, in addition to gifting unique units, city states also give certain unique units like a Foreign Legion or Mohawk Warrior. You can find out which unit by moving your cursor over the trait of the city state.

Gifted great people, however, can include Great Admirals. I received one from a city state while I was playing a landlocked OOC game. I through Great!, I can finally explore the ocean! but it was killed by a random barbarian galley two turns later.

Nope. Gifted units may be restricted to land units in order to preclude gifting naval units to a landlocked civ.

It makes sense I guess, but still. Playing an OCC inland, you are basically restricted from discovering the world or having any influence abroad, CS you allied getting attacked or whatnot.

Here it could be a nice addition, if you could actually amass a fleet by alllying one or two military citystates, and have some ships available that way. They would have to spawn at the citystate of course, but that is a minor detail.

There is a mechanism in the game to determine whether a city is coastal. Since you can adopt the +3 production from the Commerce tree for coastal cities. Personally, I just think it would be pretty cool to get something useful on a water map as opposed to a rather useless horseman or lancers.

Yes...it would be nice to be gifted some ships once in a while... I think the only way you can get ships for free is playing as Suleiman and getting the barbarian galleys...you can, though, build up a sizeable armada...converting them to frigates and so forth as you have the cash.....

Also I noticed you can't seem to gift aircraft to the CS..... In one game it made sense to gift a lot of extra military I had to a CS being seriously assaulted by Ghengis....I gave a frigate, which they eventually turned into a destroyer...modern armour, etc...but I couldn't gift any stealth bombers....not that it mattered. What I did give them "turned the tide"...and eventually I went down to the CS and took on Ghengis myself...;)

I think the game treats air units as civilian units, which you also can't gift to a CS. So, that's probably the issue there.

There is a mechanism in the game to determine whether a city is coastal. Since you can adopt the +3 production from the Commerce tree for coastal cities. Personally, I just think it would be pretty cool to get something useful on a water map as opposed to a rather useless horseman or lancers.

Even better, there is a mechanism in map scripts where if it's a water heavy map the AI will know that and adjust their strategy accordingly. So since that exists they could have the CS give naval units when the script tells the AI it needs them.
I'm playing a water map now and the units I get from CS aren't getting used. Except for the conquistadors because they're free settlers.

Top Bottom