Sejong the scaredy-cat?

bbobb23

Chieftain
I have yet to play against Korea in G&K yet but back in vanilla, if I were to meet Sejong near the 20-30 turn mark, within three turns from when I had met him, he would always come to me saying that he feared by army, (even with just a warrior and scout) and then another three turns later he would want to be friends. No other civ has ever done this, only Korea

Usually I only see in the corner, Friendly, Neutral, Guarded, Denouncing and War but for Sejong it says "Afraid".

So what I'm wondering, has this happened to any of you before? if yes has it been fixed in G&K?

I've seen "afraid" before, and not just from Sejong. It is pretty rare though.

I have not seen it in G&K, but I haven't played a huge amount of G&K yet- this thing called work keeps putting a dent in my schedule.

Why would it need to be "fixed" in G&K? I thought if anything, more civs should be afraid, based on military or technological shortcomings.

I've seen "afraid" before, and not just from Sejong. It is pretty rare though.

I have not seen it in G&K, but I haven't played a huge amount of G&K yet- this thing called work keeps putting a dent in my schedule.

Why would it need to be "fixed" in G&K? I thought it anything, more civs should be afraid, based on military or technological shortcomings.

I'd have to agree more civs should become afraid. I've fought wars and when it comes time for peace they refuse to give me anything even if your army out numbers theres 4 to 1. having afraid civs could also make for easier friend making if you just had a large army but didn't go warmongering.

Before Korea, Montezuma was known for his meaningless AFRAID messages.

Yes, it should happen more often. It doesn't because most civ's (and their leaders) have confrontational personalities.

That's one of the downsides to having a civ represented by its greatest leader. It might make sense for France to be cowed into submission, but not Napoleon.

Korea is the only civ I've seen who has ever become afraid of me. I get a lot of compliments from other civs on my army ('the villains of the world should beware', etc.) but I think that's only if we're on friendly terms. Maybe he's afraid because our relationship is neutral or lower? I generally leave him alone as he likes to tech up in peace, but there was one time he decided to conquer a few neighbors.

I've had more Afraid messages in G&K. Mayans in the last game and Persians in the one before that. My military was pretty well developed in both games when the message came.

I tried to demand money and luxes. It worked on a couple of occasions. To keep the peace between us.

I get it every time Ethiopia is in the game with me, and he tends to swing between afraid and friendly.

Play as Atilla. 99% of the known world will be afraid of your (if they aren't just outright hostile) after the first 50 turns.

So does anyone know the conditions that actually cause this to happen? I assume I rarely ever see it largely because I can conduct a war with far fewer units than the AI, so I never have many, so I never get rated highly militarily

you'd think it would be caused by your overwhelming might but ive seen an austria AI afraid a few times where i had virtually no army

though even afraid, they didn't give in to tiny demands

I usually play with random personalities for the AI civs, so I've seen afraid quite a bit. It doesn't last long, so I usually demand 100 gold right away when I see it. They always seem to pay off.

Top Bottom