Low production starts

TeaBreak

Chieftain
Can someone provide me with a tip or two on low production/high growth start.

When it takes 20 turns to build a monument, everything else just takes forever.

I understand the benefits of high population cities and that high growth starts are perfect for this but I can never really get the engine running in order to make the most of it.

Can someone provide me with a tip or two on low production/high growth start.

When it takes 20 turns to build a monument, everything else just takes forever.

I understand the benefits of high population cities and that high growth starts are perfect for this but I can never really get the engine running in order to make the most of it.

Yeah...it can be a real pain to get off to a "low-production" start....if it gets sufficiently tedious I just start a new game... Also "low-gold" flow starts can be tiresome....it seems you are forever "running in the red"....:)

I usually do what I can to get at least an 8-turn monument start...and if things look generally promising, I'll tolerate a 10-turn monument...and then build only one scout instead of the usual two...

I can solve your problem in just a single word. You may not like it, but it's the hard truth, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. Ready?
Restart!

You can't restart a multiplayer match without "problems".

Then, I'd prioritize military techs (Mining, Bronze Working, Masonry, Construction, Iron Working), and military buildings (Walls, Barracks) and military and take a better start by force. I'd start my workers on building mines and farms, focus on production, and start pumping units like an autocracy.

If you have low production and high food then you can go to Citizen Management in your city screen and switch the priority to Production.

Resist the urge to chop forest tiles and give the Construction tech a priority in your research. It gives you the ability to build Lumber Mill and the Composite Bowman. The latter is great at shredding AI rushes.

Build or buy a Settler and drop a city, hopefully in a more production-friendly location.

If you have low production and high food then you can go to Citizen Management in your city screen and switch the priority to Production.

Resist the urge to chop forest tiles and give the Construction tech a priority in your research. It gives you the ability to build Lumber Mill and the Composite Bowman. The latter is great at shredding AI rushes.

Build or buy a Settler and drop a city, hopefully in a more production-friendly location.

This.

Add to this micromanaging of your city. Right before it is about to add a population change your workers to work whatever extra hammers you can (lock all of your workers). Then turn on Production focus before you end your turn. If you have all your workers locked the new extra population will produce up to 2 extra hammers in addition to your reg growth.

Low Prod starts need more micromanaging at the start. Thats all.

Its not always going to work out for you but I move my warrior towards what I hope will be a better location and move. 1-2 wasted turns are better then countless others with a bad start location.

I guess if you are doing a one-city challenge you might be a little bit screwed :lol:

Top Bottom