Domination vs Immortal/Deity megacities

Piousflea

Chieftain
So I've been trying to win a domination game vs Immortal and haven't had any luck. The AI is dumber than dirt so it's not that hard to overrun their armies and take their cities. The problem is that the AI cities grow so much faster than human cities that you're taking 16+ population cities when your own cities are only 8 or so population. Even with puppeting the unhappiness hit is monstrous, and it's only a matter of time before my military is crippled by Very Unhappy penalties + uprisings all over the place. Once that happens I pretty much lose the game.

How do you handle the taking of extremely large cities on immortal/deity? Do you "gift" rebellious cities to the low-ranking AIs so that you can retake or raze them later? Do you just raze all of the non-Wonder containing cities and only leave the Wonders up? Or is there some other way to keep happiness up?

I'm a razer personally.

With G&K religion, you do get other choices and those towns could be quickly boosted into happiness farms, but I would loss out on the screaming, so meh.

Let the enemy retake the city back. Then hit them again. The resulting pop loss should manage your happiness considerably.

Let the enemy retake the city back. Then hit them again. The resulting pop loss should manage your happiness considerably.

Couldn't you use partial razing? or would that leave them annexed instead of puppeted?

I agree that letting them take it back is the best way to manage the pop. I usually used ranged units to take the city down to 1 hp, then send in a mounted unit to take the city and retreat back afterwards.

After they take, and you retake, you have a nice manageable size city.

If managing pop is a problem, institute a one child/soylent green policy. End of story

soylent green... it's people.

I sometimes don't care about the unhappiness awhile. If you look in a city and it has a number of buildings standing I kinda want to keep that intact, and I don't want the maintenance to kill me if I starve it down to 1 population. Being unhappy for a little bit isn't so bad if you're making good gains elsewhere.

Try to time it all better, too. If you know you're going early domination use your 7,8,9 policies in commerce right side.

It was funny...once I took Korea's capital which had like 25 pop, but I didn't have enough units to keep it for long (stupid turtle boats :mad:) so we kept trading it until it got to 1 pop, and then I just let him keep it. :D It totally ruined his economy, and I just took it over a bit later when I outteched him.

It was funny...once I took Korea's capital which had like 25 pop, but I didn't have enough units to keep it for long (stupid turtle boats :mad:) so we kept trading it until it got to 1 pop, and then I just let him keep it. :D It totally ruined his economy, and I just took it over a bit later when I outteched him.

Oh god, Turtle Boats on Immortal. TURTLE BOATS ON IMMORTAL!

I had to fight something like that once. He out-teched me by an era. It was not pleasant.

Oh god, Turtle Boats on Immortal. TURTLE BOATS ON IMMORTAL!

I had to fight something like that once. He out-teched me by an era. It was not pleasant.

Korea cracked me up one game. He sent some ludicrous amount of turtle boats, but a far insufficient amount and caliber of land units, so getting my city to zero HP was a moot point. :lol:

Korea cracked me up one game. He sent some ludicrous amount of turtle boats, but a far insufficient amount and caliber of land units, so getting my city to zero HP was a moot point. :lol:

Yeah, this was what he did in mine too. I wondered why despite being confident of winning the war ("your complete surrender sounds reasonable"), he had so few land units blocking my advance to his capital...

Yep, over 20 Turtle Boats parked outside his capital. Over 30 turns of Stalingrad ensued.

Honor and commerce right side. Lots of happiness ;)

And buy every mercantile CS you can find, that usually does the trick for me.

Yep, commerce right side and autocracy right side are extremely valuable policies for domination. Huge rushbuy potential and lots of happiness.

In general, try to raze cities which don't have a unique luxury and aren't important strategically.

Once you are powerful enough to take a city every turn or two, happiness gets rough.

I try to raze the crappy cities, but i usually am forced to sell various cities to weaker AI to get rid of the unhappiness ASAP.

If you can sell an adjacent city, we all know how the AI loves to overpay like wild, which can help fund military upgrades, rush buying happiness buildings, etc.

I had to fight something like that once. [Korea] out-teched me by an era. It was not pleasant.
I was once steamrolling my continent with legions and ballistas as Rome. Had just purchased Korea DLC and had no idea what Hwachas were. I went in for the kill and was promptly wiped out :confused:

Yeah, I lost that immortal game.

You also might want to consider Annexing more cities. An Annexed city + Courthouse generates less unhappy then the same as a puppet. Once you get autocracy you can pretty much just roll out and finish.

Top Bottom