Carthage UA

I666NoB666I

Chieftain
When you build a coastal city, like on turn 15 or whatever is reasonable, why doesn't the trade route happen right away? When, specifically, do you form a trade route?

When you have the Wheel Tech.

Seems a little funny, but you still need it

The trade route is formed on the turn after you capture/settle a sea town, but only if you have researched the wheel.

I have a city on the coast as Dido, I have wheel researched, but the city's coast and ocean tiles do not connect to the same ocean as my capitol, will this not form a trade route?

I have a city on the coast as Dido, I have wheel researched, but the city's coast and ocean tiles do not connect to the same ocean as my capitol, will this not form a trade route?

Nope, in that case you have to do it the old-fashioned way. But if this city's far from your capital, it may be easier to build another city on the same ocean as Carthage and then road between that city and the one that's not connected to the ocean. That'll have the same effect.

When you have the Wheel Tech.

Seems a little funny, but you still need it

If you need a realism check on it, just remind yourself that even with harbors the goods can't really get to the town square very well without some carts. ;)

LOL When I played Carthage I noticed the same thing so I guessed I must still need optics so I beelined for that, then when that didn't work I worked out I needed the wheel. Was so far behind I quit.

If you need a realism check on it, just remind yourself that even with harbors the goods can't really get to the town square very well without some carts. ;)

Some civilizations still did fine with markets and harbours without ever inventing the wheel ;). Such as the Maya - we never invented the wheel here in Mesoamerica but our commerce did just fine.

What about mountain crossing? Extremely convenient when playing around mountain rages. Most notably on earth mods with accurate starting locations. Never loved you more, Atlas mountains!

The free harbors you get are NOT connected as a trade route unless the unexplored "fog" is removed between them.

I THINK I remember also that ice tiles don't block the route if there's water underneath and they're otherwise sea-connected.

Some civilizations still did fine with markets and harbours without ever inventing the wheel ;). Such as the Maya - we never invented the wheel here in Mesoamerica but our commerce did just fine.

Inca and Aztec both knew about wheels: they made figurines with them. Without draft animals (AH) it never caught on commercially.

Top Bottom