Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I got confused for not seeing this earlier BUT.
Making up once mind can be hard. If you got a certain Tech in the running, so to say, and make a stupid change to another. Then change back again directly in the advisor what puzzle me is that when you first started before change you had lets say 10 turns remaining. You pick another Tech, but see that this one takes some 25 turns.
OK lets change back to the one you had when you got into the advisor screen

BUT when you change back to that old IT TOO have 25 turns.
What happened to that 10 turns. Nothing else changed, like procent on anything.

If you make this change with just a couple turns left, you might find yourself 10-15 turns out in a whisker.

Now I wasn´t playing the standard game, so I ask if this is normal or what happened ??

I hope someone understand what I´m talking about ...:sad:

You might say that ALL the beakers I had accumulated up to that point dissapeared, so when I reselected that Tech it started from ZERO.
I had I strange memory of that the beakers you had accumulated "travelled" over to the new selected Tech and by all at least stayed with the old.

I think you lose all the gained research as soon as you switch which technology you are researching. So its rarely worthwhile switching the research target except in a small number of scenarios like when researching a dead end technology for a wonder and then the AI builds that wonder a few turns later.

That´s what I saw, but I had a bad memory that I have seen otherwise in one or other scenario.
I might be wrong since I can´t find anything in the editor that confirms something can be done about it.
As you say once commited better stay on it.

Thanks, I thought I was barking up a wrong tree and got amnesia :cry:

What problems are you having? I remember that this has been asked before and there was a Windows XP compatibility mode somewhere.

I'm running civ3 on win64. Just run in compatibility mode for XP. If you're still having problems try running the installer in compat mode as administrator.

And yes, I found the tech switching misleading too since although beakers don't carry over, shields do.

I have c3c working fine for years on win7 and now win8. I have two system one for win7 and one for win 8. Both working for some time.

I am engaged in such experimentation on Mint, Mr. Young, I'll let you know of my findings.

Is there a way to really disable the showing of the automatic moves? I disabled everything related to units on the preferences menu but the game keeps showing my automated workers moves. It's boring and takes time to watch the moves of, for instance, 100 automated workers.

Any ideas?

I usually just hold shift to speed everything up, and choose to always wait until end of turn so I don't miss enemy moves. Are you looking for something better than this?

Hold down Shift then, it'll be good enough.

Hello all, I'm making my first ever scenario on Civ 3 and I had two questions about this.

1, Is there any way to set up trading relationships/military relations between nations within the scenario editor. I know there are the "locked alliances" that you can set, but I was wondering of there was a way to do something less...permanent. I'd also if possible like to set attitudes (polite, annoyed, etc)

2, I'm seeing an odd glitch. When you are in the player select screen in-game for the scenario, regardless of which nation you pick, the name of the leader is the name of player one's leader. (In this case, it's the present day USA). So I click to play China, and it says Barack Obama is their leader. Same for every other one.

When you go into the game, all of the computer leader names are right.

Thanks for your help!

1) No, locked alliances are all you have

2) Can you expand on that?

1) No, locked alliances are all you have

2) Can you expand on that?

1, Curses! I was afraid as much.

2, For whatever reason, when you try to play the scenario, at the player select screen, every leader is named Barack Obama. (The US is set as player one in the editor.)

So when you click to play as Russia, it says "President Barack Obama of the Russians" North Korea is "Supreme Leader Barack Obama."

When you actually pick someone and go into the game, all of the computer players have the correct leader names. But the civ you picked, unless you changed it before starting, is named Barack Obama.

I think you mean 'Best Korea' there, but… well, I don't know what is happening. Is your mod placed in Conquests\Scenarios or in Conquests\Conquests?

I think you mean 'Best Korea' there, but… well, I don't know what is happening. Is your mod placed in Conquests\Scenarios or in Conquests\Conquests?

I've tried in both, it's the same in both.

Of course, to add to my misfortunes, now it won't even load in game. It did fine when I had just cities placed. But since adding city improvements and units to the cities, it crashes when loading.

It freezes with the bar about 2/3s of the way done while saying "Configuring scenario."

It shouldn't be an issue with my computer, since I've played huge maps before with no issue.

Top Bottom