Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Third Party

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Not Able To Vote In US Elections/Did Not Vote

Votes: 74 62.2%

• Total voters

andrewgprv

Second Class Citizen
Okay it's another poll. But this one actually matters. So this time rather then asking who you would vote for. The question is who did you vote for. Please only answer once you have actually voted.

Edit In: Also Please tell of any interesting voting experiences. Did you experience or witness any challenging, possable fraud etc...?

I predict this thread will be closed in 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...

Edit: Oops. I didn't read the first post (I'm 1 year too young to vote). Either way it won't matter, as this will be closed.

andrewgprv said:
Okay it's another poll. But this one actually matters. So this time rather then asking who you would vote for. The question is who did you vote for. Please only answer once you have actually voted.

Just got back from voting. Barring unforseen technicalities, I voted for Kerry.

Yom said:
I predict this thread will be closed in 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2..1...

Edit: Oops. I didn't read the first post (I'm 1 year too young to vote). Either way it won't matter, as this will be closed.

Why would this be closed?

I have no intention of saying who I voted for (I did vote),
but I will say I feel sorry for those who plan on voting after work
today, because if this morning is any indication, there will be some looooong lines at the polls, with significant delays in
precincts reporting their votes.

Also Please tell of any interesting voting experiences. Did you experience or witness any challenging, possable fraud etc...?

I just got back from the polls. I'm in Columbus, Ohio at the moment.

As to interesting things, I went with my dad and he was registered three times. Three! Dooglas, Douglas and Douklas (and his last name). He quickly pointed it out, and I'm sure they'd have noticed anyway. If they'd messed up his last name however, he could have voted twice or three times. Well, assuming no one remembered him from before. A quick change of clothes will usually suffice for that though.

As to the time, it took about an hour. Anyone voting after work is going to have to wait a while.... Seven people asked me "is this your first election?" and then thanked me for coming out. Even if they were Republican. It was nice.

How can it take one hour? Last time I voted for the French president, it took me about 5 minutes, and for the first turn we had many candidates (18 if I remember correctly).
And we don't use these fancy machine, only paper.

Steph said:
How can it take one hour? Last time I voted for the French president, it took me about 5 minutes, and for the first turn we had many candidates (18 if I remember correctly).

Lines. It's not like I was in the booth for an hour.... The nation needed ~2,000,000 poll workers this year and we only have 1,500,000. We're 25% understaffed. Election turnout looks to be 60% or more -- which is very high here. Bad combo.

There will be lines. But anyone unwilling to spend an hour, or even two, to influence the next four years of their own life is pathetic.

I agree with you, to vote you should be ready to line and to move... I hate when people say "Oh, I don't want to bother going there", and then they are not happy when the "bad" guy is elected, and then they complain and criticize his policy :mad:

I voted this morning. Polls opened at 6:00. I arrived at 7:20 and waited in line until 9:00. One interesting thing (not fraud, just freaky coincedence) was that they split the voter lines by alphabetical order to get people through faster. The list of registered voters split evenly with A-K and L-Z, but in the huge line of several hundred people, only a few dozen were A-K. They breezed through in a matter of minutes while our line languished for another half an hour. Finally they just stopped people with A-K names from voting until our line caught up.

So here's a research question for a pychology student out there why do people with names at the end of the alphabet show up disproportionately early at the polls?

I got my Texas absentee ballot weeks ago and voted for Kerry. It won't make a difference though... Texas always has a Republican majority. :(

i can't vote in the US. Mine would be for Kerry. And i believe that fraud is inevitable when the candidates are so close ... i heard that about 60'000 voting forms from California were lost... is that true? And from here (switzerland), the voting system in Florida seems to be as trustable as an election in Bielorussia...

Steph said:
The vote for President is quick and easy. But the ballots are very long, with all of the minor elections - national, state, county, district, city. Then there are the initiatives and amendments, and the judge verifications. Most people know who they want to vote for President and for Congress long before they step in the booth, but haven't thought about the other ~25 items they need to vote for. So, they need to read the amendments and make decisions in the booth. It can be very time consuming, which is why I always vote before election day.

Sanaz said:
The vote for President is quick and easy. But the ballots are very long, with all of the minor elections - national, state, county, district, city. Then there are the initiatives and amendments, and the judge verifications. Most people know who they want to vote for President and for Congress long before they step in the booth, but haven't thought about the other ~25 items they need to vote for. So, they need to read the amendments and make decisions in the booth. It can be very time consuming, which is why I always vote before election day.

In Ohio, we only have five minutes in the booth. They'll let you take longer -- if time permits.

augurey said:
In Ohio, we only have five minutes in the booth. They'll let you take longer -- if time permits.
That sounds suspect, even though it's probably a good idea. They don't limit the time in booths here, as far as I can tell. Some people are very quick (3-4 minutes), others very slow.

Sanaz said:
That sounds suspect, even though it's probably a good idea. They don't limit the time in booths here, as far as I can tell. Some people are very quick (3-4 minutes), others very slow.

Maybe it was only in my county (Franklin, where Columbus is), but it really shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes on those machines.

Top Bottom