Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Mortera said:
Another thing I havent figured out is this. I have 3 cities bound together by roads. yet when I enter the city info page, there's only 1 trade route present in all 3. London have a trade route with York, and visa versa. And Nottingham is trading with London.

Why aren't there routes between York and Nottingham, and why doesnt London get anything from the route to Nottingham?

The maximum number of trade routes is 1 by default. Certain technologies and civics can increase the number of trade routes per city.

thamis said:
The maximum number of trade routes is 1 by default. Certain technologies and civics can increase the number of trade routes per city.

Cheers mate :)

Does anyone know what any of the soundtracks in CivIV are? More specifically the one at the single player game set up area.
Thanks

I got some things to say about Civ4.

First, I don't get the option to sign a permanent alliance. I have "friendly" relations with 2 civs, and I can't sign with either one of them. I have the Communism advance, which is supposed to be required for it; do I need anything else? If this is a problem that people know about, can we expect a patch for it?

Second, I read in the manual or Civilopedia or somewhere that cities cannot be renamed once founded. It's not true. You can click on the city title/name at the top of the city-view screen and it will let you change the name.

I am almost finished with my first game (playing as Greeks on Noble - wasn't too difficult), and I was wondering why, with all the gifts and "help" tech requests I gave to other civs, not one of them will ever help me out with a tech when I ask for it. They say, "You press us too hard." Is there any way for me to solve that problem? :confused:

By the way, everyone else was right about the wonder movies: they're not even close to being as good as the Civ2 movies. I kinda miss the fat guy with the sword and the wine, too. ;)

I seem to be having another problem as well. Someone else built the Apollo Program. Traditionally, once the AP gets built by any civ, ALL civs can begin constructing spaceships. I don't understand it... I can't build the program because it says "0 left", and I can't build any spaceship parts because it says "Requires Apollo Program (0/1)". AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! Catherine is going to beat me to the stars and I can't do a damn thing about it!!!! :crazyeye:

Fresh, you are thinking of The Manhattan Project. You need to build your OWN AP in order to build spaceship parts (which is why its a National Project, rather than a World Wonder/Project). Hope this helps.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Yeah, thanks, I figured it out. The reason why I couldn't build it was because I was building it somewhere else already by accident! haha... Anyway, I got it finished (just in the nick of time) and was able to get my first Civ4 victory today! :king:

thamis said:
Can't rush wonders. In the pre-release versions you could rush wonders with a great engineer, but there was talk about removing that. Give it a try, but I dunno if it works in the final release.

You CAN rush wonders. Yesterday I rushed the three gorges with gold. You need to have the right civic to do this.

Siggy said:
You CAN rush wonders. Yesterday I rushed the three gorges with gold. You need to have the right civic to do this.

Slavery for pop rushing and Universal Suffrage for cash rushing. Since one is a government civic and the other is a labor civic, there's no reason you can't have both (although you have to admit it's a pretty strange mix of civics :D ) You can also chop forests to speed up wonders. So far, the only things I've found that I can't rush are SS parts.

What I have seen is that you can't rush anything that comes under the category "Project". For example the Manhattan Project as well as the SS parts, as well as the Space Elevator which doubles your production rate on SS. What I'd really like to know is why Civ 4 forgot to allow you to build a road/tunnel in mountains. It seems that with the tech engineering you should be able to build tunnels through a mountain.

In your comment about the music sound tracks, SCB, I did some research on this one. The music is listed in the Credits section as TANGIERS. At first I thought this was music from Tangiers. But further investigation showed me that the group's name doing the actual vocals is Tangiers, a Rock/Reggae group out of Toronto Canada. It's awesome, don't you think?:D

I have only just started playing Civ4, but i notice that in the city screen when u click on a tile it doesnt show you what that tile produces. Like in Civ3 it would show how much food/production/gold when u work a specific tile. This means i am currently forced to work it out either, by hovering over the tiles in question outside of the city screen, or seeing how the production/food sliders change. I have read on this site that food/production/gold should show up, is this a bug or have i inadvertently checked an option to disable this? can some1 help me plz

I know this is probably the silliest question ever, but why doesn't shift+f8 (or whatever it is the pedia says) quicksave and why doesn't the other one quickload? It's irritating to have to remember to save through the menu all the time.

Also, on the autosaves. The only autosave I've seen is in scenario and some of my games did not even exist there. Also it's kinda weird in that when you load the WBAUTOSAVEwhatever, you repick your civ/leader and all your units have no orders.

What am I missing?

How do you perform the action done by right clicking on a populated tile in Civ3 (i.e., to index into a stack of units)? Similarly, is there a way to see how many units are in a (my) city without selecting it?

wildWolverine said:
How do you perform the action done by right clicking on a populated tile in Civ3 (i.e., to index into a stack of units)? Similarly, is there a way to see how many units are in a (my) city without selecting it?

There's an option to turn "Right Click menus" on. This allows you to right click on a stack and see what's there. As well as wake all, and fortify all (ala Civ III).
But does anyone know how you can see the combat predictions (i.e. 8.4 v 4.5) when the right click menu is turned on? Currently I have to toggle it on and off in the options page.

Rayzor said:
TBut does anyone know how you can see the combat predictions (i.e. 8.4 v 4.5) when the right click menu is turned on? Currently I have to toggle it on and off in the options page.
Right click as if you are moving the active unit into the enemy square, but don't release. The odds will show up on the left side. To not attack move the on screen cusor back under your unit and release. If you release while in the enemy square you will attack.

You can also press Alt when the cursor is over the target unit to view the combat odds.

Is there a way to play a non-random map or a scenario in hotseat or pbem?

Cool, I've give that a try.

Where's Roads and Railroads in the Civilopedia?I've looked and looked and I can't find them. They're not under improvements where they should be. There's a railroad technology, but that doesn't tell you what building railroads actually do.

Are missionaries useful when you have no open borders with anyone?
Can you convert or what not without open borders?
Is there a way of removing terrain to more easily show cultural borders?
Or is there a way even with terrain on?
What are the circles outside of the cities?
Is there a way of making angry leaders talk to you when they won't?
Is there a "fog of war" like in civ3?
If you build a city right next to a barb city with it disappear?

Is there a way to not have it show enemy moves?
I tried turning it off but it didn't work.
It still shows them moving about.
Both near my borders and far away.

slothman said:
Are missionaries useful when you have no open borders with anyone?

You could try "gifting" them to those other civs, I think. When you look at your missionary outside the borders of the other civ, does it have a "christmas present" option in its action menu? (Sorry, I'm not at home right now. :( )

Top Bottom