BTS Game Freeze

Comixfan

Chieftain
I've had BTS installed for around a week now, and have come across a very strange problem that I never had with Warlords (which always ran fine on my system).

At random times throughout the game during the period between my turns, the game will just freeze up completely forcing me to have to do a hard reboot of my PC as neither ALT-TAB nor CTRL-ALT-DEL will work. Sometimes it'll be after only 5 minutes, other times a couple of hours, but I've yet to be able to play a full session without the game freezing at least once.

Really weird thing is, once I restart my PC and the game then reload the last save I made, even if I do the exact same things during my turn the game will move past where it last froze then eventually freeze at some different point!

I've got the latest NVIDIA drivers installed. I've tried adjusting the game settings to the bare minimum, adopted some of the memory savers in the INI file, and even cleared out extraneous programs running on my PC from its memory prior to running the game to no avail.

Anyone else having this trouble?

I have exactly the same problem, but also another problem where the game just shuts down and I will get back to desktop immidiatly.

I have either your problem or the one I just stated in every game I play, usually in about 30 minutes maximum or something like that..

This really sucks and I hope someone has a solution because it is almost impossible to really enjoy a game nowadays. You just save every turn and wonder when the game will shut down or it will totally freeze..

I have been experiencing this as well. What happens for me more specifically is that the game will freeze, but the music will still play for a bit, and then my screen goes black, and then the monitor actually goes to power-save mode like it has completely lost the video signal.

I have a ATI graphics card, as opposed to your NVIDIA, so I'm not sure what that means. Also, a couple of days ago I increased my RAM from 1 gig to 2.5 gig, and that seemed to help at first, but last night I got the freeze-up again. For me, it seems to occur roughly every 1/2 hour or so, at least in the earlier game period. The other thing after I upgraded my RAM was that I was later in the same game and it never crashed even though I played a good 4 or 5 hours straight, but last night I started a new game and that was when it happened again.

My only solution so far is that I make sure that the auto-save is set to save every single turn. But the whole thing is rather disturbing. And it only happens with CIV 4 with the BTS expansion, no other game or program I've tried, so even though I wonder if there might be some heat issue somewhere, I'm not really sure that that would be the problem.

Hello

A long time I had only read this forum. But now, after I had install BtS I have also problems playing Civ.

I think this tread discribe my problem pretty well. Civ freeze if I play it. It's crazy, it can freeze during my turn ( 5-10 second), between turns (mostly longer than 1 minute, and the sound also freeze), at the worldbulder, at the advisers (science, government, religion, foreign, etc.) and also at Civipedia.

And last but not least sometimes after it freeze, Civ crash down to Windows or the PC reboots. :rolleyes:

It's realy ridiculous.

My System:

AMD Atlon 3500, GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB (with latest Driver), 2 GB Ram, Windows XP Service Pack 2

Aftere reading the topics in this forum section I tried fixing it. Did a few things but nothing good happened. Then, I turned off all movies, and I have been playing for about 1 whole hour without any crashes.

I don't know if it was pure luck or that I found my problem, but I suggest you guys try it too to play without movies(you can easily change that at visual options).

Edit: ok today when I tried playing the game froze in about 10 minutes.. Haven't tried to play afterwards but it seems the problem isn't totally fixed with turning off all movies..

I think this tread discribe my problem pretty well. Civ freeze if I play it. It's crazy, it can freeze during my turn ( 5-10 second), between turns (mostly longer than 1 minute, and the sound also freeze), at the worldbulder, at the advisers (science, government, religion, foreign, etc.) and also at Civipedia.

And last but not least sometimes after it freeze, Civ crash down to Windows or the PC reboots.

I have a addition to my own post. The PC reboots allways if I work at the worldbulder after a few minutes. :(
But there is a bluescreen for half a secound. But I can't read the text on it, because the PC reboots to fast.

Same problem, it's doing this far more frequently now (like I can't even play for more than 10-15 minutes usually without my entire machine freezing even if I'm not on full scren) since I updated BTS.

I'm currently playing Rhye's now.

Same problem, it's doing this far more frequently now (like I can't even play for more than 10-15 minutes usually without my entire machine freezing even if I'm not on full scren) since I updated BTS.

I'm currently playing Rhye's now.

Had the same thing.. It was impossible to play and enjoy the game anymore, so I stopped playing altogether. Still hoping someone will pass by with a solution because it is one of my favorite games :please:

Top Bottom