Played it, liked it, but...

psychoak

Warlord
It needed a demo or something at the end to show the full mod, 'twas a sorely lacking example of what you've done here, even if it was a good scenario in it's own right.

Although, it still smokes everything else in the expansion anyways so I guess it will get top marks from people. I absolutely detest vanilla civ's tech and upgrade system in that it makes keeping units alive virtually worthless, so for me playing the scenario might have been limited, but upgrades worth having alone made it more enjoyable.

I kind of agree. AOI is kind of prettier and nicely scripted, but after the tenth time of losing with the same strategy on Noble, to a frostling/doviello rush, I just can't love it. FFH 2, on the other hand, is sometimes the only reason I play Civ4---it's simply brilliant in depth and options.

I agree, even though I kept getting crushed there were enough cool things to pull me back in and try and solve it over and over again. By the time I finally succeeded I was hooked to the mod and migrated to the full deal. Just awesome.

I have to admit, I disagree with you guys. I really like AOI, in some ways I think it is better than the full game. Although the full FfH had tremendous options and replayability, the AOI scenario seems to be very well balanced in most games, and gives a tremendously fun experience. In FfH, I often win and lose, and often find the game is either badly lost or I win easily. AOI is just a tight, great experience. At least for me.

That is, FfH is a wonderful mod, but AOI is what it is, a great scenario. Not a tremendous amount of replayability, but real fun while it lasts.

Best wishes,

Breunor

I like AOI. I found FFH first, however. In fact, only just got BTS.

Have you tried to design a scenario? It's extremely tough, even tougher than building a good map. It's extremely difficult to get the play balance right -- and I don't even do scripting, but that cannot be easy, either.

Finally, AOI has a very well written story.

I really love this scenario.
i did not know anything about FFH before and of course now i am addicted to it.
But i never again dived so much into a game like AoI.
All the blizzards destroying everything, all the ice and all the wild world was really great.
But it was far to easy to win even on the highest difficulty!!

I had played an old version of FFH before playing AoI, so I felt pretty limited when playing the mod. But since then I have set up a lot of my later FFH games to be similar to AoI - Highland maps with raging barbarians and end of winter.

I tried it(AoI), but I was unable to win ... :)
Horde of Frostling always destroy both my Warriors with combat5 in North-West passage and I wasn't able to defend my city placed in South-West passage against Doivello with 4 warriors and walls.

I tried it(AoI), but I was unable to win ... :)
Horde of Frostling always destroy both my Warriors with combat5 in North-West passage and I wasn't able to defend my city placed in South-West passage against Doivello with 4 warriors and walls.

Arctic,

Make sure you don't try to play this scenario like a 'normal' Civ or even FfH game and start with some workers and the like. You have to build combat units almost exclusively in the beginning. Take the city starting to the Northwest and hold it. You can survive waves of frostlings. Get you units some experience.

I really enjoyed the scenario because it was hard.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Arctic,

Make sure you don't try to play this scenario like a 'normal' Civ or even FfH game and start with some workers and the like. You have to build combat units almost exclusively in the beginning. Take the city starting to the Northwest and hold it. You can survive waves of frostlings. Get you units some experience.

I really enjoyed the scenario becauase it was hard.

Best wishes,

Bbreunor

Not really. I did this on Monarch and won:

1st Build: Worker
1st Tech: Agriculture
Start improving tiles
2nd Tech: Animal Husbandry(Get Sheep)
Future Techs: Beeline Archery
Spam Warriors until you get Archers. Fortify on SE and NE hills. Make sure to build a road so you can have your full force defending off rushes, instead of being split between the two.
Build two cities on the hills for extra defense
Turtle. Spam archers and worker improvements. Research all technologies. Mass longbows and catapults, give Cover and Gurill promotions, get enough and you can capture the Dovellio capital, that gives Iron.

Not really. I did this on Monarch and won:

1st Build: Worker
1st Tech: Agriculture
Start improving tiles
2nd Tech: Animal Husbandry(Get Sheep)
Future Techs: Beeline Archery
Spam Warriors until you get Archers. Fortify on SE and NE hills. Make sure to build a road so you can have your full force defending off rushes, instead of being split between the two.
Build two cities on the hills for extra defense
Turtle. Spam archers and worker improvements. Research all technologies. Mass longbows and catapults, give Cover and Gurill promotions, get enough and you can capture the Dovellio capital, that gives Iron.

Actually I don't disagree. One worker and a worker tech are OK, but it isn't like a normal game where you get a lot of settlers and the like since the enemy starts right on top of you.

Best wishes,

Bruenor

Top Bottom