Liberating cities and gaining enemies, why?

espartaco

Chieftain
I had conquered a continent, rebuilt it and liberated it to Washington and he was my best friend for centuries. I went and conquered the russian continent, same stuff, rebuild and liberate it to someone else and then I was at war with Washington, what I did wrong? this really sucks! I had to re-load and keep going. What's the point of liberating? gaining an enemy? come on....please advise...thanks :(

It could be that you sacrificed so many cities and resources to Washington that he became stronger than you. This would lead him to see an opportunity to conquer you (and rightly so).

Don't liberate if the cities can be useful to you! Even your "friends" want to win, so don't help them too much. Make sure that any time that you help your opponents, you gain more in the long run.

I had conquered a continent, rebuilt it and liberated it to Washington and he was my best friend for centuries. I went and conquered the russian continent, same stuff, rebuild and liberate it to someone else and then I was at war with Washington, what I did wrong? this really sucks! I had to re-load and keep going. What's the point of liberating? gaining an enemy? come on....please advise...thanks :(

Did you liberate or create a colony? It sounds like you created a colony and Washington became your vassal. If that is the case then a civ who was at war with Washington was probably killed off in the years between you created Washington and when you create your new vassals. BtS has a bug that when a new vassal/colony is created it sometime take up the slot of an old Civilization and all the old traits of that dead civilization including relationship. Bhuric's unofficial patch does solve this issue though. :)

This was the situation. Mansa was in its own continent (I played a Big and Small map as Elizabeth) and I killed him for good so he was gone. Later on, the cost of maintenance was getting too high so I decided to liberate it on the Domestic Advisor screen and the game selected Washington as the leader of my colony. Then I attached Stalin and Washington joined me and the Russians were gone as well. The Russians also had their own continent shared with Gilgamesh. As the culture of the Persian surrounded the former Russia cities and the cost of keeping the cities was soaring, I decided to liberate them and boom! the game decided that "You declared war on Washington", no way I would do that to my buddy. I reloaded and later I won the spaceship race. This is totally wrong, no even a warning, unacceptable.
To all of you Happy New Year! :lol:

I think I know what happened. It must have been some type of glitch. Your new colony was at war with Washington somehow. Since your new colony was at war this automatically makes you at war with Washington. I don't know how this happened because Washington should have been your vassal.

Was Washington still your Vassal states?

Did he have a defensive pact with anyone that you declared war on?

Finally, It could have something to do with the apostolic palace. When you declare war using this it declares war one anyone who is not of your religion.

I think I know what happened. It must have been some type of glitch. Your new colony was at war with Washington somehow. Since your new colony was at war this automatically makes you at war with Washington. I don't know how this happened because Washington should have been your vassal.

Was Washington still your Vassal states?

Did he have a defensive pact with anyone that you declared war on?

Finally, It could have something to do with the apostolic palace. When you declare war using this it declares war one anyone who is not of your religion.

Not at all. Washington was not even at the start of the game. He didn't have any defensive pact, he was my vassal. He didn't have my own religion so nothing to do with the AP.

Not of your religion, then there may have been a significant diplo hit for that. You may have shared a border and gotten some border friction (dunno for sure if this can apply to colonies like this), and maybe there was some other diplo hits and no bonuses other than the +10 for liberating them. I don't know if Washington can go to war with someone he's "Pleased" with or not, but some leaders can and do. If you were weak enough, mistreated him enough, then you may have invited such an attack.

OTOH, the AP idea, if someone else has the AP, and Washington has any of that religion and you had none of it, then it's entirely possible that someone who didn't like you used the AP to get ALL people of that faith to declare war against you, and this probably trumps the vassal relationship, though IMO it shouldn't.

On the gripping hand, I also feel that the +10 bonus should slowly melt away like most other diplo effects do.

what you describe is a known bug in BtS 3.13 - Bhruic's patch fixes it. :newyear:

A bug? Really? that explains that silly declaration of war just for being nice to liberate the conquered cities.
In my game, I had the AP with Confusionism but Mansa had discovered Hinduism and built the shine so when the game selected Washington as the keeper of my colony it was more profitable for him to go with Hinduism even as my vassal. And he was always friendly during and after the war against Russia until I released the Russian cities.
BTW, where is that Bhruic's patch?

Top Bottom