Aerial Wars

To be honest the current system Civ IV has is, I think, quite good. The only tweak I would make is allowing planes to sink ships.

Airpower is not by itself capable of destroying armies and winning wars. It never has been. It can certainly give a huge advantage to one side, but the notion that air units should, for example, be able to out right kill ground units is in my opinion flawed. How many times in history has a division surrendered to an air wing? Despite the pretty LGB movies on CNN the air campaign in the first gulf war did not destroy the Iraqi army, nor did it destroy their armored forces. The bulk of Iraqi armor losses were suffered at the hands of coalition ground forces. The air campaign disrupted enemy movement, screwed communications and control and inflicted heavy casualties on exposed formations yes, but ground forces still did the bulk of the actual fighting.

As such, I think the way that air units work now, softening up ground units for an eventual assault from other ground units, is a pretty realistic portrayal.

To be honest the current system Civ IV has is, I think, quite good. The only tweak I would make is allowing planes to sink ships.

I agree since the Imperial Navy of Japan did send numerous Mitsubishi Zero fighter planes to sink the half a dozen or more ships during the attack on Pearl Harbour.

But that would be realism. Firaxis hates realism.

Top Bottom