Achievement Saves (for the lazy and/or the frustrated people out there)

You win a million dollars, get a position in Firaxis, win the immunity idle, beat the iron chefs, race around the world, expose the mole, vote out a house member, become a master chef and take home the showcase. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :lol:

While exposing the moles on housemembers may be mildly edifying, I'm still curious as to what actual benefits it proffers... :p

As far as I'm aware there is no grand prize at the end, otherwise it would have gone off a while ago. I suppose the idea of 'look at me, I'm awesome' is the most anyone can get. Personally I'm doing it the old fashioned way, but that's only because I don't put a great deal of stock in getting them, so I don't feel compelled to get the saves...yet.
*shifty eyes*

As far as I'm aware there is no grand prize at the end, otherwise it would have gone off a while ago. I suppose the idea of 'look at me, I'm awesome' is the most anyone can get. Personally I'm doing it the old fashioned way, but that's only because I don't put a great deal of stock in getting them, so I don't feel compelled to get the saves...yet.
*shifty eyes*

About what I thought. Ever since they started putting 'achievements' into online games, I've just had to shake my head at the correlation to giving out the gold self-esteem stars to kindergartners just for not falling out of their chairs too often. Needless to say, they mean nothing to me. If they start giving cash or game discounts or real prizes of some kind, then we'll talk.

HA! Money; the answer to everything.
:p

'Remember, you've got a minute to win it!'

:lol: Wouldn't ever expect to see it, but that's what it would take to get me to give a rip about those meaningless achievements. Barring that, they mean less to me than a zit on my bum. Mod on.

In some games (Mass Effect 1, is the last I could seriously remember) you unlocked stuff in game for getting achievements, but there's nothing like that in Civ. Mostly I just see them as things to try and accomplish when you have nothing else to do with a game.

I like the cheevos because they prompt me not to get stuck in a rut. I know they're meaningless, but pursuing them means that I get to play the game in lots of different ways, rather than sticking to a single set-up that I like or outcome that I feel comfortable with.

Not sure why you'd cheat for them but I like that they're there.

Post #157 has been updated with new save games.

Hello,

This is a list of achievements that are not included the original post, and that in my opinion the savegames could be added:

Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka (Beat the game on any difficulty setting as Ramesses II)
Arabian Knights (Beat the game on any difficulty setting as Harun al-Rashid)
Empire of the East (Beat the game on any difficulty setting as Ramkhamhaeng)
A Woman's Work (Beat the game on any difficulty setting as Wu Zetian)
Rising Sun (Beat the game on any difficulty setting as Oda)
Montezuma's Revenge… (Beat the game on any difficulty setting as Montezuma)
Consequently you achieve this:
Master of the Universe (Beat the game on any difficulty setting with each leader)

Lux Perpetua Luceat Eis (Fully Explore the Piety Policy Track) (added: anmattos_Piety.Civ5Save --> Select the last policy)
Master of the House (Fully Explore the Tradition Policy Track) (added: anmattos_Tradition.Civ5Save --> Select the last policy)
Money Doesn't Grow on Trees (Fully Explore the Commerce Policy Track) (added: anmattos_Commerce.Civ5Save --> Select the last policy)
Eighty-Eight Miles per Hour (Fully Explore the Rationalism Policy Track) (added: anmattos_Rationalism.Civ5Save --> Select the last policy)
Freedom Isn't Free (Fully Explore the Freedom Policy Track) (added: anmattos_Freedom.Civ5Save --> Select the last policy)
Consequently you achieve this:
Enlightened Ruler (Unlock all Social Policies, across any number of playthroughs)

Arab Trader (Trade a luxury resource to another Civ that you earned through a city with a Bazaar)
Gardens of Lake Texcoco (Build a Floating Garden in a city with a lake tile in its radius) (added: anmattos_Gardens-of-Lake-Texcoco.Civ5Save --> End the turn)
Riddle of the Sphinx (Rush a wonder as Egypt with a Great Engineer)
Kamikaze Attack (Kill an enemy unit attacking with a Japanese unit with just 1 HP remaining)
All Roads Lead to Rome (Build a road with a Roman Legion) (added: anmattos_All-Roads-Lead-to-Rome.Civ5Save --> End the turn)
Sun Tzu's Art of War (As Wu Zetian, earn a Great General through battle)
Barbarian Warlord (As Bismarck, convert the Barbarians from 10 camps to your side)
Bolt and Arrow (Build Statue of Zeus and Temple of Artemis in the same city) (added: Barricade_Bolt_and_Arrow.Civ5Save --> End the turn)
Rest in Gold Pieces (Gain 1000 gold from expended Great People with the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus across any number of playthroughs)

The following achievements I don´t see how to include in a savegame:

The Wonder Years (Build all the Wonders, across any number of playthroughs)
Model of a Modern Major-General (Train all Units, across any number of playthroughs)

Those are easy to achieve alone, but could be listed in the OP:

Last Man Standing (Win any Multiplayer Match)
Experimenter (Play a game with a Mod)
Expansionist (Download a Mod)
Connoisseur (Rate a Mod) (achievement is bugged, as of this date)

Those are grinding achievements, that could be included in a savegame for some credit towards it. Some of them are already in savegames in the OP.

Land Baron (Purchase 1000 tiles, across any number of playthroughs)
Here Ends the Noble Savage (Raze 100 Barbarian camps, across any number of playthroughs)
The Appian Way (Build 1000 roads, across any number of playthroughs)
Forty-Niner (Build 1000 mines, across any number of playthroughs)
Merchant King (Trade 100 resources, across any number of playthroughs)
Paul Bunyan (Chop down 1000 forest tiles, across any number of playthroughs)
God Is Great (Construct 1000 Temples, across any number of playthroughs)

Best regards,

What exactly does getting all of the absolutely stupid 'achievements' in this game earn you, other than a 'yippee look at me ain't I cool'?

Blame pokemon. Gotta catch em all.
The achievements are there, so people want to get them.
Actually I wonder who started with the achievements/badges for games thing? Was it heXbox? Steam? I know it wasn’t Playstation as they were late to the game for their trophy thing.

I think it was XBox (not the 360, but the original) that started this achievements thing.

I would also add that I tottaly agree with Aosher's previous post. Very well observed:

I like the cheevos because they prompt me not to get stuck in a rut. I know they're meaningless, but pursuing them means that I get to play the game in lots of different ways, rather than sticking to a single set-up that I like or outcome that I feel comfortable with.

Not sure why you'd cheat for them but I like that they're there.

I personally think that achievements are just a cheap way for developers extend the gameplay value of a game, by using a natural drive that most gamers have, that is, obtaining 100% completion of something or just adding goals for the simple challenge of completing them. They spent an absolute minimum amount of effort in creating those achievements, but the added value is relatively high.

I myself never gave a damn about this achievement thing. Usually you need to spend lots of hours of gameplay into a game that you´re most probably tired of playing, and that you could be spending in another game in your list.

However, after seeing this post, I found out that creating savegames for achievements hunting (which I really don´t give a damn in the first place, like getting concerned of cheaping the achievements and so on) is in itself pretty funny! I´m not doing that for the achievements themselves, but because doing and using savegames specifically for that is fun.

I know that using those savegames is a sort of "cheating". However, to create a savegame like this you cannot cheat (since then the game won´t give you the achievement). So you´re challenged to think in the fastest and most efficient way into getting in the situation that will unlock the achievement.

But if you like to unlock the achievements playing normally, I think this is a totally worth challenge. But just don´t come here and try to criticize others for doing this. Each one should play the game the way they like.

In the end, the important thing is to have fun!

Lots of fun for all civers.

Best regards,

You know... I'm inches from getting all the achievements I need... If I get some time I'll try to get a new save game for Yoink... Compliments of me.

i got Yoink from pre-patch. and im not even halfway thru achievements but then again i dont go for them. but there are a couple that i find fun enough to try for.

i got Yoink from pre-patch. and im not even halfway thru achievements but then again i dont go for them. but there are a couple that i find fun enough to try for.

Post-Patch is just so improbable. I hear the into the renaissance one is the best time to do it.

Hello,

If you could share your Yoink save game, that would be great. Just post the link that I´ll add to post #156.

Hello,

I just tested all the savegames in the original post, and can confirm that the following ones are not working as of December 2012:

1) New World Scenario. As stated in the OP, they are bugged. However, the France savegame DID work for me. So the following achievements could not be completed.

Siglo de Oro (Win the New World Scenario as Spain)
Tea and Crumpets for Everyone (Win the New World Scenario as England)
Macho Picchu (Win the New World Scenario as the Incas)
Huitzilopochtli's Arrow (Win the New World Scenario as the Aztecs)
League of Extraordinary Hoyanehs (Win the New World Scenario as the Iroquois)

2) Empires of the Smoky Skies. The savegame Option_SmokySkiesWin.Civ5Save for Empires of the Smoky Skies is not working for me. It is not possible to win the Scenario. When you load the game, you have 3 Titles. But when you click Next Turn, you lose one of the Titles, the one about the Wonders. Initially your count is 5 wonders, and then after the next turn, your count is 3.

Modern Major-General (Win the Empires of the Smoky Skies scenario)

3) The FeiLing_FoY-Explorer.Civ5Save seems not be working towards the natural wonders achievements. Loading it many times does not increase the counter in the achievements log (I know that I must exit the game for the log to update). Hence, the following achievement is not possible:

The Explorer (Discover 100 Natural Wonders)

4) Yoink! The criteria for the following achievement has changed, and therefore the included savegame does not work anymore.

Yoink! (As Austria, acquire a City-State with 15 or more units through Diplomatic Marriage)

Best regards,

Post-Patch is just so improbable. I hear the into the renaissance one is the best time to do it.

Poking through the debug files I found a few Achievements that were redacted...:

Hundred War (My guess is being at war for 100 years... probably deleted because early game that's like 10 turns)

Cat Fight (Probably Catherine v.s. Wu Zetian? This was from Civ 5 Vanilla IIRC...)

Manifest Destiny (Probably buying a specific amount of tiles during a game with the USA... My guess)

All War (Being at war with everybody)

Lose Multiplayer (Self Explanatory)

Six Degrees (I vaguely remember this actually being a real achievement... It was playing a multiplayer game with someone who had the achievement and it started with Sid Meier himself)

Def Pact (Sign a defensive pact)

Research Pact (Sign a Research agreement)

Elephant Battle (Probably as India/Siam use your elephant against the other player's elephant)

Civolepedia (No idea... Maybe consult it?)

Hwatch Out (There's a counter called Hwatcha kills... Probably 100 kills with a Hwatcha or something)

Scenario 5 Qing takes Ming (Probably conquer Manchuria as China)

Ancient Wonder (Something to do with that Scenario)

XP_149 (Max out on xp?)

Also I have 300 as my standing army, 101 wins, but still no Sherfanator achievement... No counter for Great Generals... Any idea how to get that?

Also what is the "Pedia" count...

Hello,

I have no idea what are those other achievements. I´m only considering those listed on Steam. As you stated, these are probably reminiscents of not released achievements, but which log are still on the code.

For the Sherfanator, I didn´t get it yet, either. I think to have to have generated 100 GG and 100 wins.

Best regards,

Top Bottom