Trading a city before it's captured??

Torodeboro

Chieftain
Here's my situation:

I am currently in a war with Sweden and going to lose my third biggest city in about one turn. I'm currently 2nd in score (of eight) and Sweden 3rd is a big concurrent of mine. I am thinking about giving this city away to another less powered leader. The probability of recapturing this city in the nearby future if Sweden takes it is small.
Anybody experience with a situation like this or giving away cities?

What should I do?

AI is unlikely to take a weakened city, especially if it is far away from their own lands / they are going for a culture win.

You'd probably have to throw some money in the pot...

I gave the city to Spain and they accepted my "generous gift".

This is the situation of that area two turns after I gave it away

Giving away cities can be a useful strategy...I've done that on occasion... The most recent situation was a reasonable sized city I had captured from the Chinese....it wasn't critical and I had other objectives, so when, I think was the Ottomans, showed up on that city's coast with a rather ominous-looking flotilla, I gave the city back...IIRC, I even got some money for it... :)

A bit later in the same game when my prime target, Askai, "sued for peace" I got several cities including two small, far-off, inconsequential ones,...these I gave away for nothing to two different weak powers just to avoid the unhappiness issue....

As the Huns, I captured Washington. Then after Greece took out China, it declared war on me and Washington was it's target. After it became obvious that I would lose the city, I sold it to England. Greece then declared war on England and took the city. They then marched across the map and took some small English cities, too.

Selling the city doesn't always stop the AI.

Top Bottom