Militaristic city-states can now create beastly combo UUs

black213

Emperor
In my game as Sweden, a militaristic CS gifted me with Minutemen. I then upgraded them all to Caroleans...:king:
Ignore terrain cost, +15% in rough terrain, heal every turn... Caroleans on their own are beastly enough for me :)

Has anyone had similar experiences?

All militaristic city-states give different UU's now like I was Austria and I allied myself with Almaty they gave me Roman Legions. In another game that started but hardly began again I was Austria I met Budapest Ironic I put my mouse to see what UU they would give me and it said "Budapest knows the secret to the Siphai if you research metalurgy they would give me a some Siphai".
Now militaristic city-states will sometimes give you the same UU's in different games sometimes they don't it's all random but to check what UU they would give you enter the city-state put the mouse over the militaristic and see what UU they have to offer.

I didn't have any experience with upgrade combos, but in one OCC game I was allied with several militaristic CS and had a mixed cavalry force of Narusan'S Elephants and Keshiks. No one tried to mess with me.

All militaristic city-states give different UU's now like I was Austria and I allied myself with Almaty they gave me Roman Legions. In another game that started but hardly began again I was Austria I met Budapest Ironic I put my mouse to see what UU they would give me and it said "Budapest knows the secret to the Siphai if you research metalurgy they would give me a some Siphai".
Now militaristic city-states will sometimes give you the same UU's in different games sometimes they don't it's all random but to check what UU they would give you enter the city-state put the mouse over the militaristic and see what UU they have to offer.

I already know that. The particular CS gave me Minutemen.

I can't wait until the day that there's no more threads about how militaristic city-states give UUs. OK, so they can upgrade into other UUs.....cool?

Militaristic CSes have obtained big boosts compared with vanilla. Firstly there's the UU (in my current game I'm far too early to enjoy the benefits of Sidon's Panzers, but as I'm playing Siam my own UU will eventually upgrade to them - just a shame the useful life of tanks is so short in G&K). Less well-documented:

1. There's a lot more consistency in which units they'll give you. In my experience they'll reliably give you the most advanced land unit you have the tech to build - Sidon gave me a chariot archer pretty much as soon as I'd researched the Wheel, and I was receiving regular pikes, muskets and rifles from Budapest in my last game. No more Archers helpfully being granted when everyone else is using Artillery.

2. The units now spawn in the territory of one of your cities rather than in the CS' own territory, so they don't need to be walked all the way home (haven't used Patronage since G&K yet - though will in my current game - but I presume the long GE trek home is also over. I hope so anyway).

Militaristic CSes have obtained big boosts compared with vanilla. Firstly there's the UU (in my current game I'm far too early to enjoy the benefits of Sidon's Panzers, but as I'm playing Siam my own UU will eventually upgrade to them - just a shame the useful life of tanks is so short in G&K). Less well-documented:

1. There's a lot more consistency in which units they'll give you. In my experience they'll reliably give you the most advanced land unit you have the tech to build - Sidon gave me a chariot archer pretty much as soon as I'd researched the Wheel, and I was receiving regular pikes, muskets and rifles from Budapest in my last game. No more Archers helpfully being granted when everyone else is using Artillery.

2. The units now spawn in the territory of one of your cities rather than in the CS' own territory, so they don't need to be walked all the way home (haven't used Patronage since G&K yet - though will in my current game - but I presume the long GE trek home is also over. I hope so anyway).

Your own units won't upgrade to the UU the CS is giving you.

I can't wait until the day that there's no more threads about how militaristic city-states give UUs. OK, so they can upgrade into other UUs.....cool?

That isn't what this thread is about. I know people are sick of the topic, but try ignoring the thread if you don't want to at least read the opening post to find out what it's about.

This thread is about getting a unique unit from a militaristic city-state and upgrading it to your own uu for double the awesomeness. I don't know if it would happen, but one example would be getting Maori Warriors while playing as Rome and upgrading them to Legions. The Terrain-ignoring Caroleans was the example in the original post, which would be quite fun.

I was actually thinking about the crazy doubling up possibilities myself. I imagine the best opportunity available with the CS UUs is Denmark because your UUs are already in an upgrade line.

So it would go:

? - Berserker - Ski Infantry

Your options there are Maori warrior, Jaguar or Mohawk.

Jag (for the health) and Maori make the most sense. I'm not sure you want too many terrain bonuses. Even Berserkers with the Maori ability are scary.

BTW, are Legions and Mohawks the only sword replacements?

Jag (for the health) and Maori make the most sense. I'm not sure you want too many terrain bonuses. Even Berserkers with the Maori ability are scary.

BTW, are Legions and Mohawks the only sword replacements?

They are unless I'm being very dumb (possibility). While I wouldn't exactly say no to legions as the Danes, their awesomeness doesn't upgrade. There's a pretty narrow window for warrior gifts from CS so you might have to settle.

Other cool ones are:

Attila's horse archer - keshik/ camel archer

Janissary - Foreign legion :eek:

Edit: Anything - Caroleans is pretty great as OP wisely said.

yes, i believe they are the only sword replacements.

and i've been thinking about combinations like this for awhile, like slingers upgrading to cho ko nus.

on a side note, even japanese janissaries would be pretty awesome.

It's still too situational but yeah, military CS can really held you out in augmenting your forces.

Had one giving me free berserkers which saved me a ton of hammers on a culture game when Sweden started to become hostile towards me. My favorite idea is still unique units from military CS :)

I didn't know you could mouse over a CS to see what UU they give you. Thanks for the tip!:goodjob:

How useful did u find the 'United Front' policy to be (in order tree) ? Imagine pumping panzers at fast rate from a CS to blitz ur foes. :D

I don't know if it would happen, but one example would be getting Maori Warriors while playing as Rome and upgrading them to Legions. The Terrain-ignoring Caroleans was the example in the original post, which would be quite fun.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the Maori terrorize promotion doesn't 'stick' when you upgrade the unit.....

How useful did u find the 'United Front' policy to be (in order tree) ? Imagine pumping panzers at fast rate from a CS to blitz ur foes. :D

For me, by the time I get that policy, I've already gone way down the warmonger path and by the time panzers appear, I'm neck-deep in WWXII and spamming my own tanks, arties, etc. left and right. So the gifts don't usually add up enough to tip the balance IMHO.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the Maori terrorize promotion doesn't 'stick' when you upgrade the unit.....

It should, unless they've changed it. The Carthaginian one doesn't stay, but the Maori one should.

Top Bottom