AI Great Prophets diplo.

Thry

Warlord
There needs to be some kind of way to tell the AI to stop sending prophets.

The AI has a way to tell us to stop doing that, so why the hell don't we? Is this laziness or just pure stupidity on the part of firaxis?

It gets pretty ridiculous when I have to bring in the inquisition to cleanse the heretics and re-introduce my faith (which thanks to founder beliefs is always superior to the AI's).

I'm playing on a Pangea standard map right now and I have 2 AIs who send every single great prophet they pop towards me. It's incredibly irritating.

Bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tym0MObFpTI

There needs to be some kind of way to tell the AI to stop sending prophets.

The AI has a way to tell us to stop doing that, so why the hell don't we? Is this laziness or just pure stupidity on the part of firaxis?

It gets pretty ridiculous when I have to bring in the inquisition to cleanse the heretics and re-introduce my faith (which thanks to founder beliefs is always superior to the AI's).

I'm playing on a Pangea standard map right now and I have 2 AIs who send every single great prophet they pop towards me. It's incredibly irritating.

Bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tym0MObFpTI

I guess because telling us to stop doesn't make us stop just like us telling them to stop would just get the message, "How dare you tell us where to send our religion" and a diplo hit just like telling them not to settle near us.

Not true. Makes it harder, doesn't stop it.

I've never had a prophet convert a city when an inquisitor is present. They will actually avoid the city like a plague in my experience.

In any case, I agree that we should be able to tell the AI to quit proselytizing.

It absolutely does stop it. Missionaries and Prophets can't be used on a city which has an inquisitor in the city or an adjacent tile.

Yes, but it doesn't stop them from going to your other cities and converting them. Depending on their religion spread beliefs, it can spread over to cities with inquisitors. It takes a while, but if you have 3-4 cities in range of that city, it can get incredibly irritating.

Inquisitors are usually the only the way to solve it, but I find it a pain to churn out enough of them once I reach mid-game, where the price of them really soars, but without having the +faith to keep up.

Even more annoying is when they convert a city or two, meaning I then have to spend more faith on getting rid of the foreign religion, before I can start protecting it with an Inquisitor.

Yes, but it doesn't stop them from going to your other cities and converting them. Depending on their religion spread beliefs, it can spread over to cities with inquisitors. It takes a while, but if you have 3-4 cities in range of that city, it can get incredibly irritating.

And your point is? Is there some reason you can't buy more than one inquisitor if your religion matters enough to you? You also started out complaining about active spread via prophets, don't suddenly change to complaining about the passive spread via pressure. You have tools which can combat both.

Build more inquisitors in this case. If you create a wall of two or thee inquisitor filled cities, the prophets will end up shuffling around your borders then go home. If any heathen religion has spread to your cities in the mean time, use your new inquistors to inquisite the hell out of it. Pun intended.

Build more inquisitors in this case. If you create a wall of two or thee inquisitor filled cities, the prophets will end up shuffling around your borders then go home. If any heathen religion has spread to your cities in the mean time, use your new inquistors to inquisite the hell out of it. Pun intended.

Except that inquisitors cost faith. They cost significantly more once you enter the renaissance.

I'm asking for a reasonable solution. I don't see why there has to be debate against this.

AIs can ask us to stop proselytizing. Why can't we?

Because all it would do is give you a diplo hit and the AI would just lie or ignore it anyway. The AI can ask us to stop all it wants, it doesn't make US pay any attention to it. If I'm sending a GP into AI territory I already know whether or not its an AI who's going to harass me about doing so, which means I already know I'm going to take a diplo hit but am preemptively ignoring it.

I don't see why there has to be debate against this.

Sometimes people don't agree with you. Weird, huh?

The more AI plays like a human, the better.

Think of religion like any other, military, gold, etc.

If you aren't prepared to protect it, expect to lose it.

Anything that you can do in diplomacy in Civ V, the AI can do too.

So why the hell is this such a hard concept for you to grasp? How would you feel if the AI could denounce players, but you couldn't denounce anyone?

The AI can ask us to stop settling near them. If we keep settling, we get a diplo penalty. If we don't and agree not to, after 25 or so turns, a message pops up saying that our promise has been fufilled.

Saying that "it's pointless because the AI would ignore it" is a logical fallacy.

Except that inquisitors cost faith. They cost significantly more once you enter the renaissance.

I'm asking for a reasonable solution. I don't see why there has to be debate against this.

AIs can ask us to stop proselytizing. Why can't we?

Brohammad, I wasn't trying to debate you. I actually (and have already said this in an earlier post) agree with you about stopping proselytizing.

I was just giving you options to deal with the situation. These options actually exist, while you can't currently tell an AI to bugger off. I know spamming inquisitors is expensive and a bad way to deal with this issue...

But it's what we got.

PS Why are you so darn hostile to people trying to help you?

Brohammad, I wasn't trying to debate you. I actually (and have already said this in an earlier post) agree with you about stopping proselytizing.

I was just giving you options to deal with the situation. These options actually exist, while you can't currently tell an AI to bugger off. I know spamming inquisitors is expensive and a bad way to deal with this issue...

But it's what we got.

PS Why are you so darn hostile to people trying to help you?

That actually wasn't directed at you - it was directed at the other people. I know you're a lot more reasonable :goodjob:

i suggest bring back the civ4 theocracy civic effect (no foreign religion spread in your cities) for the social policy theocracy under piety. Currently all it does is provide 10% more gold for temples.

From another thread, someone argues that completely nerfs the inquisitors in the game. Perhaps theocracy should half the effect of GP and missionaries. Like GP can only convert half of your citizens and missionaries have half strengths at conversion.

And your point is? Is there some reason you can't buy more than one inquisitor if your religion matters enough to you? You also started out complaining about active spread via prophets, don't suddenly change to complaining about the passive spread via pressure. You have tools which can combat both.

I think he does have a valid point there. It adds to some useless & frustrating micro. Imagine u have very limited amount of military units & u need to constantly move them around the world because for some reason u cannot attack the enemy. ;)

The solution wouldn't be as simple as some people think it to be. If u tell them to stop sending prophets, most of them will really mind it & u will get a bright red modifier with them. And if u then denounce them or declare war the world will think that u r a jerk. Thats the real problem here.

IMHO they should introduce a casus belli system where if u tell them to stop & they don't, then u can rightfully denounce them or declare war depending upon the severity of the circumstance. :think:

Because all it would do is give you a diplo hit and the AI would just lie or ignore it anyway. The AI can ask us to stop all it wants, it doesn't make US pay any attention to it. If I'm sending a GP into AI territory I already know whether or not its an AI who's going to harass me about doing so, which means I already know I'm going to take a diplo hit but am preemptively ignoring it.

Yea, the only way they won't complain is if they don't have a pantheon yet. That actually makes them happy if you convert most of their cities.

Would be nice if the Piety social policy at least blocked the passive spread of foreign religions. GP and Missionaries would still be fair play, although the weakening thing sounds reasonable.

Top Bottom