Clearing Out Cache

Ant509y

Civ Fanatic Zero
Okay, I recently got the Revolution mod for the game, but the instruction given was to find the cache at Application Data/My Games/Warlords/cache and delete it.

I'd like to know, really quickly, what the cache does, and what the effect of deleting the items within it would be to the normal game.

Does anyone know what the cache is?

Within it are items such as the catalogCiv4Warlords(a whole string of numbers) as a DAT file.

Could anyone tell me about these things before I mess with them?

It stores recurring information regarding your game. When you patch or add a mod, some of that information can become obsolete and create conflicts.

Okay, thanks! Also, does deleting it affect a regular, unmodded game of Civ IV? I'd like to know, in case I want to go back and play just an unmodded version, you know?

When you start the game it will always seek the cache; if the cache has been deleted then Civ is designed to recreate it. When you go from mod to unmod, or make any other significant game change, it's recommended to clear the cache. The cache is just there to provide recurring information so the game starts faster.

Ahh. Alright then, so it just recreates it, that's good to know.

Thank you a lot, it's highly appreciated. I didn't want to touch it until I knew how important it was and what would happen if I messed with it. (Generally a good idea when modding something, ne?)

Top Bottom