Modern naval warfare in civ

Philips beard

Prince
Anyone heaving ideas that may improve the naval combat system in civ, at least for the Civ IV? ;)

And will it be possible to launch cruise misiles from warships in civ 3?

Why did you ask this question 3 times?

I doubt that you can launch Cruise Missiles from any ships, but maybe Carriers (Kamakaze planes are in WWII Pacific, so I assume the AI knows how to use them).

Just wanted to be sure sombody would answer, and discuss this mather, harr, harr! The importance of rockets in modern warfare is to underestimated in Civ I think!

I think modern naval combat is vastly improved by making aircraft able to sink ships. In my latest game, I actually formed battle groups with my ships, which usually consisted of two carriers, with fighters to defend the group from aerial bombardment and provide recon, and bombers for attacking enemy ships, a battleship to provide raw defense in the case an enemy ship attacks, Aegis Cruisers for spotting submarines and possibly to destroy submarines.

In games where naval supremacy was required to keep shipping lanes open, I'd form these battle groups and move them around, destroying enemy ships from afar with bombers, and then being protected from enemy bombers when the group approaches enemy territory.

The only problem with this so far is the fact enemy AI can't adequately adapt to such a tactic, so while my battle groups were protected from aerial bombardment, enemy ships were easily sunk before they even saw the battle group.

To improve on this, there would need to be a whole new class of air unit called the Fighter-Bomber, since most heavy bombers in real life, I believe, are too large to be launched from carriers. The Fighter-Bomber would be the heaviest plane available for being carried into naval combat, capable of providing defense and more limited bombing capacity.

They're also planning to add air defense to Aegis cruisers, I suggest with this capability that lethal bombardment be added to bombing type aircraft(also planned, I think). Also, being able to carry cruise missiles and fire them from certain ships should also be added. This will make naval combat much more lethal. I figure why the hell not, since Sub-marines can carry tactical nukes, which can wipe out ships that they're fired upon.

I tried messing with rules in the Civ mod to allow subs to carry cruise missiles, but it didn't seem to work..

as long as ships cannot have different A and D values depending on the opponent and different ranges for attack (battleship vs Destroyed in WWII times), as long as there is no way to have a battleship/cruiser in WWII times UNABLE to attack a submarine submarine, as long as there is no way to simulate the diving 7 surface running of submarines - naval combat in civ will suck!

Yeah, the combatsystems conserning submarine warfare, and missiles at sea are the most important subjekts for Civ now. Airforce combat at sea seems to have been improved alot, but I still miss more specific navalbombers, would add a lot to the look and realism of the game....

Originally posted by Philips beard
Yeah, the combatsystems conserning submarine warfare, and missiles at sea are the most important subjekts for Civ now. Airforce combat at sea seems to have been improved alot, but I still miss more specific navalbombers, would add a lot to the look and realism of the game....

I have heard that in conquest there will be specia ability to pick one unit out of a stack to attack it - not fro subs, but I hope to modify them in the editor to have that ability :D

'Rohr eins klar zum Schuss?' - 'Jawohl Herr Kaleun!' - 'Rohr eins LOS!'

Originally posted by Bartholomaï
there should be submarines that can transport units.

nukes - yes, we already have that. But have you ever seen an infantry division transported by submarine??????

I seem to remember the Japanese creating a submarine that can carry planes!

Originally posted by Generalissimo
I seem to remember the Japanese creating a submarine that can carry planes!

1 plane...... not even a fighter... maybe..... but does that make the Bismarck a carrier? They had a mail plane on it.. couldn't land, only start, but hey, let's give batttleships the ability to carry planes in Civ!

Just wanted to be sure sombody would answer, and discuss this mather, harr, harr! The importance of rockets in modern warfare is to underestimated in Civ I think!

Your absolutley right. They ROCK (haha) when it comes to fighting the terrorism! The cruise missiles and bombing raids should be much more effetive and kill a lot more civilians. Just look at the USA, they kill the enemy (and those evil civilians) before the war so that there's is no enemy left when the war begins!

To be serious... I think a good thing would be to increase the power of missiles, both when it comes to attacking units as well as civilians, but every time you hit a civilian target, your reputation should drop and maybe increase the risk of city flipping against you. That would be great.

Yeah, severve bombing of civilians should increase your war weariness too....

yep indeed. forgot about that!

Originally posted by carlosMM

1 plane...... not even a fighter... maybe..... but does that make the Bismarck a carrier? They had a mail plane on it.. couldn't land, only start, but hey, let's give batttleships the ability to carry planes in Civ!

Japan had a secret Submarine Carrier force with the plan to destroy the Panama Canal.

Originally posted by carlosMM

nukes - yes, we already have that. But have you ever seen an infantry division transported by submarine??????

Not a division, but small units of infantry yes. In fact modern submarines (USA that is) are designed just for that. Though these units are mostly Special forces, such as Marine Recon, Navy S.E.A.Ls, Air Force Combat Controlers, etc., subs of today can and DO transport far larger amounts of troops than you imagine.

I thinl it would be realistic if there were special forces type units in the game that could be loaded onto nuc subs (even though this was done in WWI and WWII it is more coomon with nuc subs) and these units have an advantage for sneak amphibious assualts. These units (in real life anyways would be cool in game too) can also sneak attack ships to sink or even capture them.

Perhaps a good idea for a future XP or Civ IV

Originally posted by Bad Brett

The cruise missiles and bombing raids should be much more effetive and kill a lot more civilians.

Yeah, severve bombing of civilians should increase your war weariness too....

Ok, now this burns me! First, I can tell you first hand with the techs we have Real World this does not hapen. Take an 8 story office building. Say the 4th floor is an enemy intel office. We can place a missile, cruise missle AND even a bomb right through the window of the 4th floor, have it go off exactly in the middle of the floor with very very very little damage to floors 3 and 5 and none to the rest of the building with just glass in the parking lot.

We can even destroy the entire inside of a building leaving only a 5 foot hole in the roof and have no visible damage from the outside.

We do not, and will not bomb civilians. Yes, it has happened, even in the most resecnt war. But never on purpose!! Bombing civilians only happens when crazy people in power place them there against thier will and the ones dropping bombs don't know they are there.

Ok, enough ranting and raving, just please get your facts straight first and by this I mean DON'T trust the news... CNN WILL lie to you and NOT tell you the truth!!

P.S. Forgive my spelling....

-Hyper

Top Bottom