Carthage

That's a sizable distance given that you don't have to go more than a few kilometers before you hit starting hitting villages who speak a different dialect. Proximity is also no guarantee of anything. My wife's village isn't related to the other villages in the immediate area Their relations are from another area somewhat further away. There's also considerable resentment because two of the other villages in the area are related and use that to leverage all the development funding.

I'm not arguing any of what happens in your wife's corner of Southeast Asia. I'm am simply arguing that it has no bearing on what happens in mine. Hell, even in my corner, the cultural patterns of my Lao friends barely relate to those of my Hmong friends, which again are irrelevant to those of my Lahu friends, which are unrelated to those of my Akha friends, which are essentially alien to those of my Khamu friends. Not to mention all the other cultures in the area with which I am basically ignorant.

I don't doubt for a moment that things are as you state in the part of Indonesia from which your wife hails. I'm a bit baffled as to why you think I do.

I was just providing an example of why names matter. You asked how that example was relevant to small villages. I provided a more relevant example.

Where have I said village names - names you claimed don't exist, or at least are too ephemeral and/or amorphous to qualify as such - are not important? I just don't see how referencing dynastic founders renaming their capitals has anything to do with our original disagreement about whether or not villages in Lao have names in the first place.

Top Bottom