Pacal's (Ball) Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ack!
Gawd darn it!
Looks like I started this game mere hours before patch 313 came out!
:wallbash:

Can I upgrade and still play this game or do I have to wait until it's done?
If I can't upgrade yet... well... I hope 313 sucks!
:mad:

NO, you can upgrade and still play tihs game with the patch on! :goodjob:
Compatible!

His parents don't really have any authority over him anymore... ;)

"If you don't build Barracks, I swear I'll spank you, Ahau or not! "

Ye, right, we believe on you! :rolleyes:

:lol:

I use Photoshop, and have never used GIMP - but both applications can do simple stuff like that for sure.

GIMP has to be able to do something as simple as this, considering it's capable of doing much, much more. However, I don't know how... :sad:
thx - I will give GIMP a whirl and see if my pathetic efforts look anything like your wonder-text.

NO, you can upgrade and still play tihs game with the patch on! :goodjob:
Compatible!

...unless you happen to have "Lock Modifiable Assets" on. I've had that on before, and seemingly "compatible" patches weren't. So, I'm finishing my current game and then loading the patch.

...unless you happen to have "Lock Modifiable Assets" on. I've had that on before, and seemingly "compatible" patches weren't. So, I'm finishing my current game and then loading the patch.

Oh yeah, of course hehe. Goes without saying! :p OK, maybe not! :crazyeye:

I'm waiting for you to do one of these where you have a military unit that becomes a character that you just keep upgrading and keep through the ages.

It doesn't shock me that you narrowed down the advisers to a couple of characters though, musta been a pain in the butt keeping up with all the different ones.

As far as the game goes, I'd definitely get some boats out and exploring that land to the south of you. Even being on different land masses from your capital the maintenance probably won't be too harsh as they could be situated very close to your capital. And it appears that land is a very precious commodity at this point. I can see where you are working towards war, but 1-2 extra coastal cities close to your capital can help finance that war.

Hi Flouze,
Glad to see you're back.

If you want us to slap some sense in Pacal, get ready to receive some serious slapping...
Seriously dude, what's with the Chicken Pizza ? Are you out of your mind ? Worldbuild it if you really want it, it won't make a difference anyway...
Obviously you need some reminding (need I mention slavery ?), you ticked the box that enables RAGING BARBS ! Come on, whip out some defenders, quick. And use your warrior as a fogbuster.
Ok, upon closer inspection, you seem to be pretty safe regarding barbarian activity... Still, drop the pizza, build units, or anything but that useless wonder.

Didn't mean to sound so harsh. You'll do fine, I'm sure.

Hi Flouze,
Glad to see you're back.

If you want us to slap some sense in Pacal, get ready to receive some serious slapping...
Seriously dude, what's with the Chicken Pizza ? Are you out of your mind ? Worldbuild it if you really want it, it won't make a difference anyway...
Obviously you need some reminding (need I mention slavery ?), you ticked the box that enables RAGING BARBS ! Come on, whip out some defenders, quick. And use your warrior as a fogbuster.
Ok, upon closer inspection, you seem to be pretty safe regarding barbarian activity... Still, drop the pizza, build units, or anything but that useless wonder.

Didn't mean to sound so harsh. You'll do fine, I'm sure.

That is just FOR FUN! The city he wants it on has the same name as the wonder!And barbarians? Only in islands now I believe. Other CIVs are all around him.

^

But still, a big defense whip would be recommended. If there's no more space to expand, then someone's gonna declare sooner or later.

I've read early reports that make me want to wait before upgrading to 3.13 - things about resource trading, and a visual bug when you can't see what culture (or spy points) a building generates, for instance.
So I'll stick to 3.02 + Solver's patch for now.
(There are plenty of threads on that topic, so let's not derail this one).

As for other pressing topics...

Settling the islands:
Islands so close to the capital would be great, maintenance-wise, but in terms of resources, they suck.
Two new island cities (the two down south of the capital) would bring in one fish, and one Crab respectively. It wouldn't be surprising if, say, Aluminum or Uranium appeared somewhere around there in the late game, but that's a long way away.
Which is why I'd like to explore a little first. See if there's something better. The small mass south of Persia looks slightly greener, while it's possible there might be something better somewhere west. Furthermore, I'd enjoy getting more trading partners, and finding other civs that have not yet converted to Buddhism (or other religion) or only have one or two foreign religion cities (making them fairly easy to convert).
The latter isn't a priority, though.

Adopting Slavery:
That, I do plan on doing ASAP. My initial plan was to convert Mehmed from Judaism to Hinduism Cosmology, then convert and adopt Hereditary Rule, Slavery, and possibly Organized Religion.
But since converting Mehmed might turn out tougher than expected, that plan is likely to change. It may end up that I revolt to HR & Slavery first, then convert later.
As luck turned out, however, the Raging Barbs are no problem. The only place they can spontaneously generate on the whole continent is that northern peninsula way north of the Ottoman Empire.
Unless a random event brings in a horde, they won't be an issue.
Furthermore, because of the large amount of surrounding islands (big & small map with islands mixed in), I'd be stunned if a civ DoW on the short term. Not until many nearby islands are settled, at least. If one of the close neighbors was rather aggressive, I'd expect it, but not really from those guys.
Regardless, building a proper defense will be important. It's unlikely there'll be war right away, but if the Maya remain this weak, there could be war fairly soon.

On building Chichen Itza in Chichen Itza
Yes. I know, that wonder pretty much sucks. Especially since they should have renamed it "Temple of Kukulcan" when they added the Maya into the game, just like Angkor Wat should have been renamed.
But, because it wasn't... I want it. Just for appearances. The slight culture boost would be nice (but easily equaled by monasteries, libraries and such), the ability to generate a GP for Shrine creation could be nice, but really, it's only because I want Chichen Itza to be built in Chichen Itza, not Istanbul, or Paris, Berlin, or Timbuktu.
Stupid?
Yes.
But this is a story game, not a "how to use the best strategies for maximum AI pownage" type game. ;)
Though utterly owning at least one other Civ is, in fact, entertaining.
That'll hopefully come later on.

But this is a story game, not a "how to use the best strategies for maximum AI pownage" type game. ;)

No kidding. Most folks would be researching Hunting and then spamming Holkans right after popping BW from that hut. I mean, unless you had that Celtic babe next door and wanted to keep her around for a while. ;)

Great pics, as always!

My advice for the game:

Holkan (which counter immortals and are immune to first strikes)+ Cover+ Darius with Chariot UU and sitting bull nearby+catapults( you ARE beeling construction to acess that and your UB, which will let you grow crazy large so you can work more COTTAGES of water tiles, right?)=
Dead Darius and Sitting Bull by late Renaisaance, and a good platform for a space race.
Now, go smash some heads! :hammer:

In regards to 3.13, I would recommend installing it and this unofficial patch.
Thanks.
However, I think it'll simply be... simpler if I just wait a while before changing my BTS version.

Guys (and gals), I'll be needing your help.

This pause in the game has actually allowed me to ponder things, and I'd like to change my game plan.
I think I'd like to DoW on Darius ASAP. I dream of the Great Library in Lakam Ha, but it's just not going to happen. I'd like Chichen Itza in Chichen Itza, but, quite frankly, that city is simply unfit to build a wonder at this point. And, if Mutal could have a legitimate chance of building the Hanging Gardens, like I wanted - I think it'd be smarter to switch to military production.
I could expand on the islands surrounding Lakam Ha, and they would make good commerce cities on the long term... it's just that, well, the grass is much greener in Persia! :)
It would allow me to hold a fairly good sized peninsula with something close to a choke point near Chichen Itza.

Obviously, I don't have a standing army, yet. So converting to Slavery to whip a few troops will become a priority.
The Mayan could have access to Iron within ten turns, and they could have discovered Construction by then (give or take a few turns). But, I am a builder, not a war general.

Any advice you may have on attack plans, army composition, etc is definitely welcome. I essentially never DoW so early in a game, since I still consider that to be my "expansion phase."
But, when Uxmal will be founded, there will be only one other available spot left on the continent (roughly north-north-east of Chichen Itza) would suffer from great cultural pressure, notably from the Ottomans, and it wouldn't be a great city by any means.

I do love big Artillery stacks and, though I'm not sure, I don't recall ever seing a Persian mounted unit this game - Just like the Mayans, it's possible Persia does not have access to Horses - and if Darius can't build his Immortals, I think it's a great time to strike.

So, any advice is more than welcome!

I took a look at the save. Here is what I noticed/recommend doing:
  • change the worker to building a road to the Iron (where I assume you will found the city) then have it mine the capitol
  • As you can see, Darius' capitol is on a hill and he has access to Iron (and has some swordsmen visible. This is actually good, because it means more melee units and less archers probably. It also means that he has more land than you can see, as there is nor Iron visible to you in his lands
  • Switch research to construction
  • Switch to slavery
  • Switch your two non-capitol cities (forgot their names) to holkans
  • Scout the land while you still have open borders
  • Build a stack of 8-10 holkans and 4-5 catapults and attack (perhaps look for a convenient worker steal to declare war with)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom