Short fun game (immortal)

No time to do it again. Maybe later today...

After trying a couple of things, I like RRRaskolnikov's settler whip test.

@mysty, you figure it out?

Murky Waters is one of the most consistently successful teams and they make extremely detailed posts. I'd start there if you wanted to see whether it appeals or not.

Very true... Unless you can read Russian, ofc. ;)

I got the files from ras. Ran the Assets Checker again. 35 vanilla errors, missing files... No warlords errors (not installed) and no BtS errors (definitely installed). Still no luck opening the save. Whats that rubbish with the vanilla files? Any ideas?

As I understand, vanilla errors should not have anything to do with BtS so the assets should be OK as long as there aren't any BtS errors. I don't have many other bright ideas, reading around a bit I see a lot of people having problems loading saves even when the asset checker gives no errors. You could give a shot searching the BUG forum for such problems.

@Silu, you'd be surprised that BtS uses both Vanilla/Warlord assets for various needs like even python.

Hmh, in that case I guess it's possible that those missing files are the reason. Also in that case it should be sufficient if mystyfly posts the list and someone assembles those files in a zip and sends them to him. Somewhat a mystery how you can be missing asset files altogether though :)

I did a test file. Bismarck founded Hamburg in the same spot on the same turn, and he's building another settler. Gandhi is the same and the other 3 have sent out their first settler already, but haven't founded cities yet in 3040 BC.

Attachments

• SQ-Test01_BC3040.CivBeyondSwordSave
    70.3 KB · Views: 85
  • SQ-Test01_BC4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    42.5 KB · Views: 68
  • SQ-Test01-BC4000.rar
    14.9 KB · Views: 63
He's expanding fast (5 cities down in 1780 BC), but going for some crap spots around Berlin in my test. Assuming we go for corn / pig first, we're certainly not beating him to the fish N of Berlin, though. Maybe we don't need to box him anyway. I'm more worried about locating Churchill right now. The scout needs to beeline north after swinging by that hut.

Note: Barbs are definitely a LOT less of a nuisance on quick speed. By 1700 BC, I only saw 2 warriors, aside from animals. We should be safe just sending the first warrior ahead of the settler, and using whip overflow from the settler for a Moscow MP warrior.

Edit: He settles the third city in 2680 BC, fourth in 1960 BC, fifth in 1780 BC; I'm whipping a settler in 2500 BC and settling the PH NNW of corn 2320 BC. Second settler can be whipped at 2020 BC.

Thanks for the testing bbp. I figured quick barbs would be weenie barbs. So the bigger issue is if we can beat Bismarck to the good spots. PS - how do you figure Bismarck has double pigs + corn? Is that the only way his expansion speed works?

@mysty - is your vanilla running the proper version? That may be the issue. Also, if you can make a list, I can put some files together. Or it may be faster to just delete the entire folder and re-install all three.

Let's move the roster around to keep the game moving until mysty sorts out his asset issue:

me
Ras
Silu - UP
bbp (on deck)
mysty
open roster spot

PS - how do you figure Bismarck has double pigs + corn? Is that the only way his expansion speed works?

:lol: No, we could probably remove one pig. Believe it or not, that actually happened to be random generated.

Okay, will get down to it tomorrow I think. 3 exams on Tue&Wed but there's always time for some Civ :)

So I gather the "plan" is something like:

- Research TW->AH
- Settle Pig&Corn first
- 2nd settler location to be decided, Horse in decent-ish spot would be a strong contender.

The worker will be too occupied to road right away, so maybe AH first is better? Might force us to reconsider second city site...

Note: We can shave a turn of the settler (2560 BC instead of 2500 BC), by working gold mine for 1t at pop 3, then switching to all food. It seems to slow down AH/TW by 1t, though. I'm not sure what's better...

Sorry for that horsehockey stuff. I'm doing a complete reinstall right now. I hope that patching vanilla (1.74) ensures that those files are correct for playing a "clean" version of BtS... and thus enables me to participate. I must say I'm happy I'm experiencing these issues now rather than during the SGOTM... at least it should work by then for sure lol...

Thanks for swapping shyuhe... I'd just like to play after ras in the next round ;)

I think earlier settler is better with these settings. As much as I want the wheat/sheep, Bismarck's city pretty much makes it worthless (unless we bomb a GA on it). So pig/corn sounds good.

I think earlier settler is better with these settings. As much as I want the wheat/sheep, Bismarck's city pretty much makes it worthless (unless we bomb a GA on it). So pig/corn sounds good.

Agreed... :)
edit: BBP has a point about going directly AH, then we can go either TW or myst function of what the map requires.

Well... I replaced one of the pigs in the test file with copper, and Bismarck founded Hamburg a turn later... I don't know if that helps us in any way.

Yay, finally got BUFFY working normally under Linux so no need for extra hassle o/ Thanks to a SGOTM player no less... :)

I'm kind of terrified about the amount of tiny detail micro and testing already done in this "short fun game" so expect me to ask a lot of confirmation questions until I build some degree of micro self-confidence ;) Again, I don't normally micro that much in my games, 1AD after 15-20min of game time is pretty normal :p Expect the turnset later today or early tomorrow...

(Add: Sorry about the miscropped pictures, didn't notice that until now)

Going AH first research-wise. Wheel would give health faster but Horsie info is always nice without Copper I suppose.

T17:

Scout notices that the Stone hut is gone and that there's an "annoying" Deer that messes up the natural settling pattern :p Skip Deer / Skip Coast / Settle on Stone, oh the choices...

T19:

Grew to size 4, switched to Settler. Adopted Slavery.

T20:

Barb archer spotted on the southern ice plains (2800BC).

T21:

AH is in - grass horses nearby. Barb archer guarding our beloved Pig&Corn :( hoping he will walk into (and preferably also die) to our stalwart Warrior.

T23:

Whip Settler for 2pop.

T26:

Churchill gets BW.

Settled St Pete. I notice I should have started walking the Worker to immediately start farming St Pete's FP instead of farming another FP for Moscow.
I also have to decide between suboptimal growth in Moscow (due to last turn of whip anger) against having only 1 Warrior in the St Pete's area. Since there's a barb Archer and Warrior nearby and it's already 2440BC I decide to play it safe and move the 2nd Warrior towards St Pete instead of optimizing yields in Moscow.

T27:

Wheel is finished, second barb Archer north, to a total of 3. Also Churchill's borders are visible.

So... Deffo need to settle that Horsie site fast. Set research to Mysti which I guess is the next one.

Hope I didn't waste 10 man-hours of testing and planning to botching up the micro or misunderstanding :p

Attachments

• Short quickie BC-2380.CivBeyondSwordSave
    79.7 KB · Views: 94
Pigs in the jungle :lol: Looks ok. If we plant the warrior on a forested hill, I think we'll be ok. Although we'll want to grab the horses for sure. Looks like we may have to go settle in the jungle soon? I doubt Bismarck will take the stone this early since it's kind of far from him.

Top Bottom