TSG1 After Action Report

Killed Germany with 3 horsemen, then just sat and colonized my own continent. After a while, I decided that I should get on with the game, so I (slowly) beelined to riflemen and then marched them like ants to the other capitals.

The other civs were kind of far away over rough terrain, making the marching part take the longest.

Attachments

• TS1.Civ5Save
    614.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Augustus Caesar_0245 AD-1675_2.Civ5Replay
    57.5 KB · Views: 118
Well things went ok for my first shot at one of these but boy that map was tricky!

Early game - the main plan was to fast tech to iron of course, and in the mean time save up about 800 dollars or so and about 4-6 warriors.

Seeing it was pangaea and small i figured i could just explore with my front lines advanced and take whatever cities i came across, so when i was hemmed in by germany i wasnt too concerned and decided to wait.

My first settler came out half a dozen turns or so before iron working and i set it off to the northern end of the peninsula we were on to wait. Once iron working finished i ran it to the nearest iron deposit and started mining it. Seeing only 4 total iron available made me sad, i needed a second settler asap and more iron for sure later. Iron collected, i upgraded my warriors and proceeded over Bismarcks face to a huge stack of iron, excellent.

Now it was a simple gameplan
- Cities focus on warriors and gold income to pay for upgrades and upkeep
- tech focuses on heading for longswordsmen
- Legionnaires focus on scouting and roading out with my captured workers to the next enemy.

Unfortunately i wasted about a billion years trying to find everyone, especially persia's capital that was hiding behind all kinds of city states and cities to where i thought it couldnt possibly be hidden away so well and had to be somewhere else. Japan were hiding up the top, china and montezuma fell easily enough.

I realised in this game how little it matters if you stomp through a city states territory. They just get mad, they wont get even.

Oh and upgrading is wayyyy cheaper than you'd think, i prolly spent about 2-2.5 grand to turn 10 or so warriors into longswordsmen over the game, which was one hell of an army against what the poor prince ai could field. I could have made it alot cheaper if id taken the cheap upgrade policy in the military tree as well (sorry i dont remember their names at all :blush:).
In the end i had enough money coming in to buy several more longswordsmen to bloster my army in captured capitals - a much better solution than trying to build and walk new units across the map.

Was fun, look forward to the next Game of the month :D

Attachments

• TS1_GotM_finish_HaywireNZ.Civ5Save
    446.4 KB · Views: 126
First GotM, looking forward to future ones :)

Not my first Civ 5 game, but a few lessons learnt from this game, watching my workers for starters, as I had one capped by a Barbarian fairly early one while not paying attention, and also that I should give my early exploration units some time to rest after getting beaten up by Barbarians, otherwise they'll come out of nowhere and finish them off.

I probably could have done this maybe 5/6 turns earlier, but I overestimated Germany's military power, ended up taking both his cities with 2 Legions, a Scout (yes, I used a Scout as a full-blown combat unit :p) and a Great General to power them up. Then came a long, long slog of nearly 20 turns as I marched my army to Persia. Totally steamrolled their capital, and then got peace, same story for the Aztecs merely turns later. Monty really didn't seem popular in this game, at one point Japan and China declared war on him at the same time, long before I did, poor guy :p Upgraded my Legions to Longswordsmen after taking the Aztec capital, and from then on I couldn't lose. Made peace with the Aztecs, and declared war on China, who I believe had the most advanced military unit I'd seen the AI using (Swordmen), but they were no match for my Longswordsmen, especially the one I'd been using the most who ended up at level 8 by the time the game was over. China fell in no time, peace was made, and the Aztecs were wiped out by Japan as I marched my troops to Kyoto. The last war of the game was declared on turn 155. The game ended on turn 158.

I'd be interested to try different paths to victory in future GotMs, or domination on higher difficulties. This was still great fun to play though, a fairly challenging map in terms of military unit movement :)

Attachments

• TS1 Victory t158 960AD.Civ5Save
    537.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Augustus Caesar_0158 AD-0960_6.Civ5Replay
    35.4 KB · Views: 107
I am pretty new to the Civ universe. I started playing Civ4 about a month ago and decided to get into Civ5. This community here is rather enjoyable. First, I found the HoF game on the front but am getting frustrated with that game because of finding the perfect starting location. Eventually I found this game of the month and was instantly excited because the starting location was already picked out.

Anyways, I think I did pretty well for being this new to the Civ universe. I achieved a domination victory on turn 203 (1430 AD) with an in-game score of 1058 (or 2450 HoF). I could have done better. I wasted a lot of time after conquering Germany (an archer and two warriors took care of him). I took too much time expanding my empire instead of rushing military units. And, of course, the map didn't help either. It took awhile to find everyone.

I think I started my onslaught around turn 160. I conquered everyone but Japan relatively quickly (focused on capitals). I made a mistake at the end with Japan costing me about 10 turns. He ended Open Borders with me before I could place my units to the north of his capital where there was unclaimed land. My units teleported back to Tokyo/Satsuma. I felt too confident and just declared war on him. Japan had more units than I anticipated and some of my units died. I eventually pushed and took out Osaka which was to the right of Kyoto and then about 8 turns later finally conquered Kyoto. I should of tried to get Open Borders again so I could of moved 3 longswordsman to the unclaimed land to the north of Kyoto. Then, I could of easily ninja'd the capital.

Attachments

• TS1-203-1430AD Victory.Civ5Save
    606.1 KB · Views: 97
Domination Victory 1890 AD
Final Score: 2911

Attachments

• VotM#001 - 1890 AD.Civ5Save
    640.2 KB · Views: 106
I use to play GOTM for civ4 without posting but I assume it was time to start for real.

I would have to say I was disappoint by that GOTM. It feel to me like the exploration tutorial where I move the sames unit around the globe. To go on with commentary, I didn't post in the mid-game session file as there were no precise date to do so. So I didn't want a read it neither in case someone was posting from a further date that I was.

I know it was Warlord but come on... Oda built the pyramid and didn't have any of is ressources improved. What's the point?

My mistakes :

I did go for a domination victory, focusing on production on my 2 first city... but after I discover the second 'continent' was empty, swtich back to economy and science so I could upgrade my units on new taken city.

I construct way to early a road from Rome to Berlin that was suppose to carry the units I never found in Berlin. I had to construct a 4th city between the two to get better benifit from trade route.

Then, city-state are cool but a real randomizer for the game. I got easy mission from Singapour and Monaco right when I was passing thru there so got the easy way in there territory.

Attachments

• TS1.Civ5Save
    498.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Augustus Caesar_0161 AD-1010_3.Civ5Replay
    34.4 KB · Views: 136
Well my first GotM was an easy domination win.

I attacked Bismarck early and destroyed him easily but other civs were so far away that it taked quite long to find them. Darius's capital was easy to capture but after that my units were too weak to continue capturing other cities so I had to wait for reinforcements. After long journey my ballistas and longswordsmen finally arrived and then it was easy to capture remaining capitals. I didn't bother capturing other cities and just signed peace after taking each civ's capital. Perhaps that's why my score isn't so high.

I think the difficulty level was too easy and I hope it's harder next time but the game was still fun.

Attachments

• TS1 The End.Civ5Save
    490.9 KB · Views: 92
Turns 207 ; 1470AD
Score : 3378

I had build first city at starting position. As soon as possible i've allied with Venice (food bonus is really great!) and Budapest. My second city was built just next to Berlin to get Marble, Horses and Sugar. Of course that decision made Bismarck angry :D. I created few archers and legions and attacked Germans. That was kinda easy as they were eliminated after few turns. After that I started was with Japan. On my way I made puppet state from Singapure and move asap towards Tokio. From that point i've just build as many units as possible in Rome and moved them towards Japan. After capturing their cities it was all piece of cake ;-).

Anyway it was fun :) Looking forward to next GOTM.

Attachments

• dejagoreGOTM1_final.Civ5Save
    667.7 KB · Views: 99
well was quite funny, rome is very easy for early domination and i think egypt could be even faster. but nvm,

1st part:
Spoiler :
fast domination? so i went for animal husbandry and the wheel
build warrior first, then worker and monument
one warrior protect worker, other warrior goes north to the german -> slay barbs for ep (the first ruins made a spearmen out of my warrior)
policy honor ^^

thanks there was an horse only two tiles away, didnt even need to buy it... protect it with the def warrior and build a chariot and buy one :>

2nd part:
Spoiler :
well i wanted money for upgrades and pushing units in captured citys -> i went for sailing and 2 fisher boats

with one warrior and both chariot north to the german, stick together cause of barbs!
warrior enters first the city at the forest tile and fortify until healed, both chariots fire one turn later on berlin

next tech is iron for legions, in rome... i wanted to save money -> build a wonder ^^, great lighthouse, iron at berlin T.T so i had to buy a worker there...

3rd part:
Spoiler :
i scouted with a trireme (gosh it was trapped in sea =/ ) and my 3 units till i found montezuma -> easy win on his capitol, same tactic as with berlin -> annex and buy 2 legions

now i was scouting with both chariots, north and south, took a little to find persias capitol and i found easily china. 2 legions and one chariot south to fight persia and 1 spearman 1 legion 1 chariot north for china, i declared early war on persia cause he had alot of cheap units out of his country -> lot of ep (when i wanted peace with persia he offered me tons of gold and one city :o)

easy win on both capitols, just made a mistake and lost chariot to china

last part:
Spoiler :
i realized early: my trireme was trapped... so i build at part 3 a settler in rome and founded a new city east of berlin -> i could move out with the trireme, discovered the coast to the east and found japan..... well i produced 3 triremes and moved them to his capitol and the 2 units from capturing china were enough to take him out.

with a little more knowledge of the map and smarter movement and luck with barbs i think u can beat the 110 or even the 100

(i made a big mistake, i produced wonders in berlin and rome so i have alot of money, i even could build stonehenge in berlin cO so i had alot of policys in honor -> +15%dmg, double ep etc.. eeh yes my mistake, i didnt pay attention and a barb destroyed in the last 5 rounds my iron so i had to buy one from budapest for 500g :D)

edit: now the right score and attached file, my first hof here ^^

Attachments

• victory-ts1-122-175AD.Civ5Save
    560.1 KB · Views: 92
Writeup here.

Specific thoughts on my game:
  • I probably should have taken Venice early on with my first couple horseman, healed up, then invade Germany with a third instead of waiting for all four as it was way too much overkill.
  • Maybe not gone with the wonderspam and just kept making warriors/legions/horseman. Wonders do contribute to score though but not sure how many turns I would have saved and how much of a difference that would make.
  • Definitely should have just finished off Japan instead of taking peace, but oh well.

Thoughts on the game in general:
  • I know several people mentioned it already in the announcement thread, but the difficulty level really was quite easy. I didn't really have to be bothered by happiness until I had taken over half the civs. My hope is that we get a patch to make the AI less pathetic.
  • The map itself was definitely a bit weird having the entire middle of the map void of anything but barbs and a couple city states.

Really I'm not sure what else to say. Hoping for something a bit more of a challenge next time :)

Attachments

• TS1 Domination T148 P1050.Civ5Save
    440.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Augustus Caesar_0148 AD-0760_12.Civ5Replay
    34 KB · Views: 107
Something that's occurring to me as I play my own games and up the difficulty is that I end up getting steamrolled by one or two of the 'dominant' civs whenever I make the step-up to Prince, yet I found Warlord for this GotM a bit of a joke. This may be because the two games I've tried on Prince, I've ended up trying to go for Cultural/Dimpomatic victories from the start, and so haven't built up much military, but even so on the second game I wiped out a civ on my own and took a city of another when everyone decided to get rid of him, so it wasn't like I had no military units at all, I had a few, but Persia had been on the warpath for the whole game and had at least 20 cities by the time he declared war on me (and at least half of them were captured cities), before turn 250, and the army of 25+ units he sent my way totally decimated me. This was on a Standard map. 20 cities on a Standard map? Surely you wouldn't be able to maintain that AND a massive army? O_o

Is there really a vast gap inbetween these two difficulties, or would building up a decent military force while striving for a non-Domination victory stop other civs declaring on me (or at least not actually managing to capture my cities)? I don't know if I'm just getting unlucky with aggressive AIs in my games, or if it's something that's tied to the difficulty you're playing on and you have to learn how to deal with it.

@hendo: in my experience, having a decent military, no matter what victory condition you are going for, always deters the other civs, regardless of Civ version or difficulty level :)

unfortunately, having one also constitutes a drain on the economy and a distraction from building things toward your victory goal...so it is a risk/reward question, usually.

I know what you mean, but it's weird to have enough military to easily destroy one civ, yet a different civ can totally crush you. I'm not sure how to fight an AI player who basically takes over half the world, because then their tech and ability to produce units will be the end of you.

I'm reaching the conclusion that AI will either be totally crap, or will kill you and eat your children, there's no middle ground :p

Go to the main menu and select 'Other', then 'Hall of Fame'. You should see your completed games listed with their scores on the left.

I`ve won the game in 1570 AD with 2206 of score..

Spoiler :
1 - I`ve killed the germans
2 - Attackes Japan with Persia
3 - Attacked China while he at war with Aztecs
4 - Persia attacked Aztecs and got his capital :lol: and few turns later I got the Persia capital and win the game :p
4.1 - The city-state helped me to get the aztecs :D

Spoiler :

Attachments

• TS1 - Flirtz - Rome - 224.Civ5Save
    507.6 KB · Views: 65
  • TS1 - Flirtz - Rome - Victory.Civ5Save
    501.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Augustus Caesar_0224 AD-1570_1.Civ5Replay
    49.6 KB · Views: 96
Won the game in 1060 AD with a Hall of Fame score of 2160

Spoiler :
I was slowed down by Japan's starting location... I had to scout around the map to find them. My main strategy was to take out the capitals and then sign a peace treaty to leave the rest of the cities. Didn't move as fast as I would have liked, but not too bad overall.

Spoiler :
It was a nice map overall... I also had a lot of trouble moving around to take out all the enemies... it may have been better to move up some of the sailing techs in order to make a bit better time taking out some of the other civilizations.

Attachments

• GOTM Win 166.Civ5Save
    448.3 KB · Views: 108
The enemies were alot further than I thought they would be. After capturing Berlin I had a constant group of workers trying to make a road off the rest of the world. In the end my Knights outran my roads and just took Kyoto (Japanese capital) with one Trieme in support.

Ive won a couple King games before I saw this Game of the Month thing so the AI was easy to slap around. Just a race against time.

I probably could have beelined Horse based units faster but I had a hard time not wanting to use my race specials. I actually had a Balista bomb the Chinese capital. Id buy buildings in my Capital so my other cities got the discount, while Rome ended up with three World Wonders.

Fun game, look forward to the next game.

2361 HOF score - turn 182

Wakrob

Attachments

• TS1 Victory Turn - 1220AD.Civ5Save
    862 KB · Views: 101
Hendo: you must have a decent military, because the AI will definitely come for you even on Prince. Look for chokepoints that you can hold, and monitor how each rival feels about you and whether they're planning something. And don't settle right in their face if you don't plan to defend yourself. :)

Top Bottom