News: TSG7 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 – Game of the Month Training Series Game 7
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the seventh game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It’s better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition once it starts.

In this game, you may select the victory condition of your choice. Good Luck!

In this game you will play as Askia and lead the Songhai to a magnificent victory. It’s a standard sized Oval map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Victory condition is your choice, and all victory conditions are enabled.

A note for Mac players. Your version of Civ5 is not yet compatible with the Windows version. Results from the two version would not be comparable given the extensive game play changes. We hope your next patch comes out soon.

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V - TSG7 game settings
Playable Civ: Askia - Songhai
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Oval
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Temperature: Temperate
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat and Policy saving are disabled. Promotion saving is enabled.

Playing as Askia, you possess River Warlord. You receive triple Gold from Barbarian encampments and pillaging cities and your embarked units can defend themselves. You can train Mandekalu Cavalry, which replaces the Knight. The unit receives a bonus when attacking cities, unlike the Knight which it replaces. You can also build the Mud Pyramid Mosque. It replaces the Temple and provides +5 culture per turn instead of +3 and requires no gold for maintenance.

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! Please also attach a .Civ5Save file made the turn after your victory or defeat (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature, as we have the beginnings of a parser working that will check your game saves. We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the three week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after three weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

This game runs for two weeks and ends Tuesday 15 February 2011.

The Save can be found here.

This is gonna be my first GOTM, probably not going to do well, but it's all in fun. :)

I'm gonna start by setting up a game with the same settings for a trial playthrough. Then I'll have a better idea what to do in the actual game.

I usually play at prince, and can win every time there, so it's about time I step up to another level. Could use any advice anyone can give me for playing at Emperor though.

Also advice on playing Askia, since I've never played him, and thoughts on the best victory condition to shoot for.

I've no idea what Oval map looks like. Is it a shape of pangaea?
My limited experience of emperor is that the AI will be a bit larger, and better teched, and have more units, than at lower levels. As you'd expect really. So if you end up rubbing shoulders with someone, it's going to hurt more when they dow you. I guess the best way to address this is by beating them to the punch, and making their cities work for you instead of against you. :hammer: As is traditional in Civ eh?
The mud mosque is a pretty cute building, and certainly leans towards cultural VC. But the bonus cash from barb camps is a great all-rounder trait.

I'll give this one a shot.

I liked the previous one, but had a severe error in play mid game, so I didn't bother with posting the score since it ended up too late. (due to not playing it over)

This one seems simple though. Oval map = two armies meeting at the far side. looks like a nice start, and a good bet there's horses in there.

hmm, I'll have to go check, but did they fix the lack of slots in the mosque?

If not, then the cultural VC attempts are going to be missing large chunks of the culture required.

was not aware you could build oxford university more than once

didn't even think about doing that, but it's prob by building Oxford at your non-capital, sell the city and build again.

Starting spot looks very beautiful!
With only 2 resource tiles around, it's likely to have other hidden resources.

It looks as though there is ocean to the SE, so we're probably on the southern side of the oval. I think the first move is to send the warrior NW along the river and see if it's worth moving the settler NW before settling.

What version of Civ was this save generated on? I can't load it, it keeps crashing.

What version of Civ was this save generated on? I can't load it, it keeps crashing.
Version 1.0.1.167

Anyone else having difficulties? :hmm:

No difficulties here with the PC version.

where do I check the version?
under stream or in the game?
When you start the game and get to the main menu, the version number will be centered in the lower part of your screen.

I was still running .141, didn't realize another patch had come out. Upgraded it to .167, working fine.

I was still running .141, didn't realize another patch had come out. Upgraded it to .167, working fine.
:thumbsup: Glad to hear you are up and running. :)

Top Bottom